The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:16:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Nice Line Launcher  (Read 4990 times)
WA4WAX

« on: April 10, 2019, 05:08:24 PM »

Want a line launcher with a 200 foot range? 

Some tree guys came by my place this morning for the purpose of taking down a pine tree.  This large tree had fallen victim to pine beetles, and was presenting a safety problem. 

Well, I noticed a little gadget of theirs, and asked some questions.  I must say that this widget works well, as it put a line way up in the tall tree with ease.

The device is meant to be pressurized via a bicycle valve.  Use a hand pump. foot pump, whatever.  Go for 90 to 105 psi.  The red tank is off an old fire extinguisher.  The black widget is a valve of some sort from the Rainbird sprinkler section at HD, Lowes, etc.  It has a little black toggle stem.  You flip this to fire the thing.  With a bit of scrounging, 20 bucks or less.

No .22 blank needed!  This neatly circumvents laws on firearms, etc.

The rest of it is PVC and galvanized pipe. He used 1.5 inch PVC, but 2 inch would do I think.

He showed me the line slug.  It was a  small vinyl or leather purse with some lead shot or BB's inside.  It had a ring or swivel for pilot line attachment.

The pictures are self explanatory. I would have made the PVC pipe 12 to 18 inches longer, but that is me.

Spread this idea around!

* IMG_0778.JPG (1786.52 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 387 times.)

* IMG_0789.JPG (1820.07 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 316 times.)

* IMG_0783.JPG (1124.7 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 327 times.)
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 05:31:00 PM »

Some guy was selling those at a hamfest somewhere and was getting around 150 bucks I think.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 08:51:06 PM »

Definitely safer than the all-PVC types.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »

Firearms laws.. A muzzle loading black powder (or equivalent) is IIRC a "non firearm" in the eyes of the feds.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:28:46 PM »

GO HERE, and go 21:00 minutes into the program.   This is what I lent to bob a few years ago for his program.   It makes launching wire antennas a snap.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
WA4WAX

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 09:41:20 PM »

Correction: I think the PVC is 2 inch.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 01:09:57 AM »

Schedule 40 and schedule 80 are common thicknesses of PVC for those wanting to make their own equipment. Just some quick notes to help:

The OD is the same for all schedules. The ID is smaller as the wall thickness increases.

The PSI rating of a given SCH. pipe varies with diameter. There's a Schedule 120 for extremists.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-pressures-d_796.html

TLDR: 1" schedule 40 is perfect for 100-200PSI air/water.

* schedule 40 pvc pipe dimensions.jpg (97.58 KB, 697x701 - viewed 196 times.)

* schedule 80 pvc pipe dimensions.jpg (289.33 KB, 665x630 - viewed 195 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KK7UV

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 06:24:49 AM »

I've been using this one for the last 10 years or so;

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/csv19/

I pressure-tested mine to over 120 psi and have never needed to pressurize it more than 40-45 psi in practical use, which sends the weighted tennis ball over my 100-foot pines with ease.

A particularly nice feature is the bowfishing reel attachment, which keeps your line off the ground where it can get hung up on plants, brush, forest littter, whatever.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »

I guess the galvanized or black pipe construction will up the top pressure a bit, but
at the expense of making it HEAVY!

But I suppose IF you happen to have 200ft trees...  !!!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 05:58:15 PM »

200 Ft Trees?

"Launchers" are absolutely great but may be a bit overpowered for trees here in the East.. I have been using my 10Ft. "surf-casting" rod with 35lb. test fishing line for YEARS. The trick is using enough weight and loading ample line on the reel.. I have cleared trees by 65 Ft (or more) that are 100 FT tall.. Let it fly and if it's a "no-go", cut the line at the weight and fish for more trees.. Just get used to neighbors and folks driving bye describing you as the the dude who "fishes for trees"..
You control the vertical, YOU hopefully control the horizontal.. But at least it's human-controlled and powered, vs the big ....SHHHHHwang.. of the pneumatic..

The launchers are potent. You may end up 50 to 75 yards into an adjoining property hoping the kids there don'y have a tennis ball introduced a bit suddenly into their space..  Grin

Have fun it definitely is antenna season!

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
ka8gef
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 09:02:05 AM »

Although I played a lot of sandlot baseball over the years and having a strong arm, I found it challenging to throw anything over a high tree limb, having to stand <20ft. away from the trunk (small city lot).

Here in the NE Ohio area, I worried about using a launcher with a PVC 'tank', primarily in freezing temperatures. My research on PVC showed how fragile PVC, especially under pressure, is at these temperatures. People in the ER confirmed that a human face permeated with PVC shrapnel is not a desirable look.

I went with 14 inch, 2" diameter galvanized pipe for the tank, although heavy, you feel like you are holding an M1 carbine and it is steady.

I use 2 oz. egg sinkers and 65lb spider line that do not get hung up in a tree. An 8 inch bike pump easily fills the pipe to about 90psi. or more if required. The air pressure can be reduced if you end up dropping the sinker into the neighbor's yard. Just remember that PSI number for the next antenna launch....I added a cross-hair made of wire and a PSI gauge. I don't own any firearms, so this may double as a primitive defense weapon, if ever the need arises, lol.

ka8gef

WA4WAX

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 10:02:27 PM »

I must correct myself again......looked at some pipe in the store today.

It is 1.5 inch (ID) PVC pipe. Schedule 40 is fine. The tank is from an old fire extinguisher.  So, no problems in Ohio.  Any steel tank with suitable female threads will do.  I would make the "U'" out of 3/4 galvanized as he did.

The key component is the Rainbird valve widget.  Make sure you have the flow valve pointing in the correct direction.  :-)

BTW, the tree guy said you could hunt with it.......
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 01:04:48 PM »

Who sells the tire valve fitting?
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 06:39:41 PM »

You might also consider an Arborist's giant slingshot  --  the Big Shot:

https://www.sherrilltree.com/climbing-gear/bigshot-launchers/sherrilltree-big-shot-standard-kit

And shot-filled Throw Bags (Throw Weights),   in various weights:

https://www.sherrilltree.com/catalog/product/view/id/116391/

The throw bags are relatively heavy,   and bullet-shaped. This helps them to fall to the ground,  rather than getting hung up in a tree.

We usually use an 8 Oz bag,   and three-twist Mason's Twine,   initially,   and use the twine to pull rope or cable,   etc.  The twine is quite slick  and aids the return of the bag to the ground.

This combo easily works to 100 feet.

We all do have our favorites,   but this is mine  ...  the tallest trees here are about 90 feet   ...   FWIW.   GL,   Vic
ka8gef
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 09:46:15 PM »

Who sells the tire valve fitting?

Just about any auto parts store.
WA4WAX

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 10:00:50 PM »

Here is a fitting source, but there are many others.

BTW, he had one of those weight bags.  Not sure which one.

https://www.amazon.com/Amflo-701-2-npt-tank-valve/dp/B0002V4Q4I
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015