The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:40:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long before HAMS have to submit to a piss test?  (Read 11226 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: April 14, 2005, 05:54:57 PM »

Drug Certification Required for Multichannel Requests

NPR has reminded stations they must include an anti-drug abuse act certification in their application when they apply for permission to split their digital signals into several channels.

According to the FCC, the certification must accompany all STA and other non-application-form requests.

The certification must be signed by an officer of the station. The drug certification apparently is not new; it's required by the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988.

NPR has placed additional information about the certification on its engineering Web site: www.euonline.org

What's next, a drug test for licence applications,  renewals, address changes, upgrades, even mandatory responses to enforcement letters?

Never mind that murderers, thieves, arsonists and even sex offenders don't have to submit to this requirement.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/antidrug.html

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 06:14:09 PM »

Something that has always ticked me off!!  And if you should complain about the invasion of your privacy, you are looked at as IF you had something to hide!  Tried and convicted, no questions asked.. :evil:

and NO I don't use drugs, but thats none of anyones busness but mine!!   :x

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 06:20:57 PM »

You Said it ED, after all these years doing what I do, Now I have to submit to a back round Check, and finger printing all at My Expense, to haul Hazardous Materials.. I've been with this Company 12 years now do I think i'm Stooopid enough to be Silly...

It Just gets Better babe... Cool
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 11:41:42 PM »

Yep, just like smoking is no one's business, except for your life insurance company.

Just like what car you own is no one's business, except for your car insurance company.

Just like your driving record is no one's business, except for your car insurance company.

Just like who you work for previously is no one's business, except for the company interviewing you.

Just like your financial history is no one's business, except for your mortgage company.

Just like your criminal record is no one's business, except for your voting precinct's voting registrar.

Just like your criminal record is no one's business, until you try to buy a gun.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 10:51:08 AM »

Years ago I did a night time show on a little station called WGDR in the tiny town of Plainfield, VT. Sometimes my drinking buds would drop over and we'd run out of beer, so I'd stick an LP on the turntable with a 15-20 minute cut and we'd drive the few miles down into town for a case of beer, listening to the station in case the stylus got hung up in a groove. That would probably be a capital offense today, scaled against the drug testing-to-signal relationship.

Incredible. I can understand it for those whose jobs directly affect the life and safety of others in our 'anything goes, it's not their fault, everyone is a victim' society, but.... ?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 10:53:58 AM »

Once upon a time we had a Constitution.
A document that was held sacred.  
Now it's treated like a dishrag. Holes of convienience for the lawyers, stains of shame from politicians. :evil:

How many times did I swear an oath (if oaths still mean anything either??)

...to Uphold and Defend the Constitution of the United States of America, against all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC...  

Yes sometimes I was a confused soldier about who I REALLY should have been fighting... :?

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 11:00:58 AM »

Maybe they should have an under the influence endorsement for the automobile license. You go to the test center, Smoke, drink, snort whatever and take the written + road test while under the influence. Blood can be drawn to check drug/alcohol levels. If you can pass then you get the endorsement stamped on your license. The endorsement fee could be a stipend like about $1,000,000.00 for each influence articulation catagory. The money raised could go to the families of those wounded/killed by unarticulated a$$holes who must drive under the influence.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 02:40:10 PM »

Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE
Maybe they should have an under the influence endorsement for the automobile license.

The Pisweakers Club has an official 811/ 4-1000 endorsement. You must demonstate that you can safely operate your PW rig while under the influence of BOTH Maui Wowi and Orange Sunshine while carrying on a coherent conversation.

VE tests/doses will be given at Hosstraders starting at 7PM Saturday night..

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 07:36:33 PM »

Quote from: K1JJ
Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE
Maybe they should have an under the influence endorsement for the automobile license.

The Pisweakers Club has an official 811/ 4-1000 endorsement. You must demonstate that you can safely operate your PW rig while under the influence of BOTH Maui Wowi and Orange Sunshine while carrying on a coherent conversation.

VE tests/doses will be given at Hosstraders starting at 7PM Saturday night..

T

Sounds like a good time to expand the Hosstraders weekend an extra day!!!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 02:10:24 PM »

I'm racking my brain trying to imagine what the hell splitting digital signals has to do with drug abuse!  :?:  :?:

Does anyone know if Doctors are required to submit to a piss test?

(no, I'm not a Doctor, despite my avatar!)

Quote from: k4kyv
Drug Certification Required for Multichannel Requests

NPR has reminded stations they must include an anti-drug abuse act certification in their application when they apply for permission to split their digital signals into several channels.

According to the FCC, the certification must accompany all STA and other non-application-form requests.

The certification must be signed by an officer of the station. The drug certification apparently is not new; it's required by the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988.

NPR has placed additional information about the certification on its engineering Web site: www.euonline.org

What's next, a drug test for licence applications,  renewals, address changes, upgrades, even mandatory responses to enforcement letters?

Never mind that murderers, thieves, arsonists and even sex offenders don't have to submit to this requirement.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/antidrug.html
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 02:35:13 PM »

consider yourself quite lucky if you never had to take the test.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 02:46:19 PM »

Depends which test..... I'm considering driving to hosstraders just to take the PW qualification exam!  :lol:  :lol:

Quote from: WA1GFZ
consider yourself quite lucky if you never had to take the test.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 02:47:54 PM »

wiz test
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 03:19:16 PM »

Actually, I do take drugs!..... Tylenol, Vodka, Tequila,.... and I have taken the wiz test...

(Usually the Tylenol after the other two.)  :lol:

Ok now, who's responsible for providing the test materials for the fester?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 03:57:41 PM »

Had to take a wiz and blood test for my current job.  Had to do the same for a previous job as well as a personality profile test.

If they make us do a wiz or blood test for a license then a personality profile test should be in order too.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 07:05:44 PM »

We have random piss tests at my place of employment... supposedly by social security number.  Mine came up 3 times in one month.  You have 30 minutes to get to the med unit, NO EXCUSES.  They don't care if you have a meeting with the friggin President.  And the contractors that do the tests also do them for federal prisons :!:

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 07:05:50 PM »

Tom said, "

Where do I sign up to attempt this test :p Wash it all down with Electric Koolaid.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 07:14:15 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, what is your line of work? Sounds like something "life critical" to be tested on a random basis like that!  :oops:

Quote from: w3jn
We have random piss tests at my place of employment... supposedly by social security number.  Mine came up 3 times in one month.  You have 30 minutes to get to the med unit, NO EXCUSES.  They don't care if you have a meeting with the friggin President.  And the contractors that do the tests also do them for federal prisons :!:
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 09:28:25 AM »

John your problem is you hang out with those trouble maker hams.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 09:36:23 AM »

I know, Frank, they really have my number!

The price one must pay to maintain a government security clearance I guess.  I have NOTHING to worry about.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015