The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:44:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yes, I’d like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.  (Read 5459 times)
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« on: March 02, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »

While I was at work, and my wife was babysitting our 4 year old grandson, he was singing a song that my wife didn't understand. She thought that he was just singing gibberish. When asked, he told her it was Russian.

Russian? Huh

Later, when she related this story to me, I checked it out. It was true! He was singing the Russian alphabet song. And, he did it well. Smiley

Apparently, he learned this only from watching YouTube kids videos at home. But, just to be sure, I asked him if he knows what "da" means in Russian. He looked at me and said "Yes".

That did it for me. Shocked

So, here's a short video from Ulitsa Sezam (and yes, that's Seseme Street in Russian).
How many times would you need to hear this to be able to sing it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIKX9RYOX5w

What does all this have to do with Amateur Radio, you may ask?
Well, the next time you work a Russian station, instead of just offering him the trite "do svidan'ya", you can sing the Russkiy alfavit to him! That will earn you a 59 report for sure.

Or, if you really think you have the voice for it, this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM57xyLUWK0
It's guaranteed to bring tear to old Ivan's eye (and get you a 59+).

Good luck, and good DX!
Don

P.S. Ever since I gave my grandson praise for how well he sings in Russian, he's been singing that darn Russian alphabet song over, and over, and over...

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »

And if you don't know the words...

https://youtu.be/oavMtUWDBTM
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »

I get it. In my youngest years I was able to speak with my grandparents in polish, who knew no English. They learn so easy at that age. Today, I can only r3member the bad words!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »

The Rooskies have the best teen idols.

Check out  0:45  for a real thrill... Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwzUs1IMdyQ&list=RDoavMtUWDBTM&index=2

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KK4YY

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »

With all due respect for Mr. Trololo  Smiley

While watching Russian dash-cam roadway accidents on YouTube, I noticed Russian pop music playing in some of their cars. This led to a curiosity which, after searching through many Russian pop music songs on YouTube, was completely satisfied with the discovery of, what I personally hold to be,
The Definitive Russian Pop Music Video.

I just stopped looking after I saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iivfF-iSWSo

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 12:03:47 AM »

Those Russian road accident vids are incredible. Talk about crazy drivers!
KK4YY

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 08:13:53 AM »

Another thing that I noticed while watching those Russian dash-cam videos, is that the women tend to do a lot of screaming just prior to a collision.  Shocked
Men, on the other hand, will wait until afterward and just say "suka blyat".  Cool
This, a common Russian greeting, is a great way to introduce oneself to a Russian speaking person. It will stir-up great feelings of nationalism in him, if this video is any indication:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI7Adc8r8Wk

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 11:50:42 AM »

Funny that you guys watch the YouTube Russian car crash videos too.  I've spent many hours studying them and have actually gotten quite good at predicting where the trouble would start.

For example, in the opposing lane the trailer truck up the road about 1/8 mile apears to be traveling too fast in the snow and will probably jack knife into me. Watch the swaying motion and predict which side it will go off.

Then the classic...  You are stopped at a light and a car attempts to pass on the left side... a blind spot to flowing traffic. The dummy takes a chance and get broadsided by the opposing lane.

Then the classic red light runner.   There's plenty of American crash videos too.

I think these crash videos should be required viewing for all new (and old) drivers as defensive driving training requirements.  There's no doubt I have become more defensive and very predictive in my driving behavior as a result.

For more fun, watch the "Audit  First Amendment" videos where advocates who know their rights put bully cops in their place.

And, then there's the motorcycles vs: cops videos where kids are doing wheelies at 100+ mph right in front of police cruisers and egg them on to chase them.  There are 200+ packs of kids on robo-bikes / road rockets in the major cities. Things have really changed...  Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KK4YY

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »

The "Sovereign Citizen" videos, where the driver who gets pulled over by the police then claims he was just "traveling" and not "driving" and doesn't need a license just to "travel" are a hoot. Mostly, I find the police are very patient with them - maybe because they are on camera, maybe because they know the judge isn't going to buy that crap. The cop would probably rather spend the day in court watching the sovereign citizen "fight for his rights" and loose too.

But I too have become a more alert/defensive driver having watched those videos.

And maybe Putin likes his, but I'm glad those awful Zaporozhets cars aren't on the roads around here.

Don

* Putin_with_his_1972_Zaporozhets.png (717.06 KB, 600x407 - viewed 263 times.)

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »

The older Ladas always gets smashed in the Russian accident vids.
KK4YY

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »

Yes, one swerve and they're out of control. I guess anti-sway bars are only for capitalist running dogs.  Wink

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 09:25:21 PM »

My best friends daughter was diagnosed with speech issues as an early child.

Turns out she was speaking Japanese.  She was a huge anime fan from a very early age.

The people that where trying to force her parents into an IEP for.l speech issues where totally taken aback!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 11:28:48 PM »

The Rooskies have the best teen idols.

Check out  0:45  for a real thrill... Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwzUs1IMdyQ&list=RDoavMtUWDBTM&index=2

T

@00:51, tongue and mike activity. the times have changed and continue to do so.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 11:31:54 PM »

The older Ladas always gets smashed in the Russian accident vids.

They were not always a standard option. I had to add one to my 1974 Dodge dart. It had never had one. Wow what a bizarre ride it must have been for 35 years.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KK4YY

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »

I added a sway bar to my 1970 Chevy Nova w/230 cu. in. 6 cyl. (it was standard with the heavier V8). Man, did it flatten out the ride! Nice.

Also, I added a rear sway bar, from a Buick Grand National, to my wife's 1986 Buick Regal and  a few of the missing body-to-subframe mounts which were left out to make the ride softer. With a set of 60 series tires, also on GN wheels, she reported to me two accidents that she was able to avoid because the car could carve-out a safe spot to get out of the way (when hitting the brakes wouldn't have been the right response).

I had made her practice the way the car handled, and how it could swerve and recover, by having her do some high-speed lane changes and a few lower speed quick, tight turns. If you're going to make a car handle, you've got to tighten up that loose nut behind the wheel.  Grin

While these practice maneuvers are important in a car, they're an absolute life saver on a motorcycle. But that's another story...

Don

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015