The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:18:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack TV Tuner Cleaner is back.  (Read 6048 times)
KD1SH

« on: February 21, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »

Well, they don't call it TV Tuner Cleaner anymore, because nobody knows what a TV Tuner is, these days, but it was always one of my favorites.  Now they call it "Control/Contact Cleaner and Lubricant", and it's available again on line.  DeoxIT and some of the other modern stuff is great, but I've always found the old Radio Shack stuff to be the best combination of cleaner and lubricant.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-control-contact-cleaner-and-lubricant

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 09:29:15 AM »

Thank goodness!

I found years ago that it worked GREAT on the roller inductor in my auto tune Harris amp!

Thanks for sharing.  I also found the old school perf board on radio shack a few months ago.  Great for 6A10 and 10A10 size diode legs!

--Shane
KD6VXI
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »

Be sure to use a can of "Color TV Tuner Cleaner" when appropriate!!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KD1SH

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:44:37 PM »

Way back in the early 70's, when I was a youngster learning about electronics and working on my parents' televisions, I used some tuner cleaner on our Zenith color TV.  It restored the tuner to perfect working condition, but a few days later the color gave out.  Still a fine picture, but just in black and white.  My father - an aircraft mechanic and a very smart man but knowing little about electronics - blamed the loss of color on the fact that the tuner cleaner I used wasn't "Color TV Tuner Cleaner".

Be sure to use a can of "Color TV Tuner Cleaner" when appropriate!!

Lou W9LRS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 07:48:19 AM »

Hello All: Radios Shack has sort of reopened here. Hobby Town stores are now selling a limited number of RS items.

I stopped in the other day to see what they had, mostly small parts,switches, caps resistors, fuses etc. Prices were
about the same.

Lou
K4CCW

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »

According to the MSDS it’s brought to you by the same folks that make DeOxit.
KD1SH

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 10:26:45 AM »

Wouldn't surprise me if it were, but the formulation is definitely different.  The classic Radio Shack stuff has white mineral oil, which accounts for that foamy, crackling sound it makes when you shoot it into something like a potentiometer.  The DeoxIT D5 doesn't appear to have much in the way of lubricant, although it seems to be an effective cleaner.  DeoxIT does make something called "Fader Lube",which has a bit more lube than their D5, but still not as good as the Radio Shack.  User discretion is the thing - I'll use DeoxIT D5 for improving continuity in things like tube sockets, connectors, and switches, but for old, scratchy and rough potentiometers and such, I've never found anything that smooths them out, both mechanically and electrically, quite like the classic Radio Shack "Tuner Cleaner".

According to the MSDS it’s brought to you by the same folks that make DeOxit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015