The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:12:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with a long run of wire?  (Read 1687 times)
WB2EMS
Contributing

« on: February 21, 2019, 02:52:56 PM »

So we moved QTH, and had to run fiber to the new one to get internet. Helps to have a buddy who does that for a living and owns half a dozen bucket trucks.  Grin

Anyway, I have a run of somewhere around 3000' of 6 strand fiber, with a .19 stainless messenger wire attached. It runs a bit zig zag but mostly north and south between a number of trees to get to us. The altitude varies between maybe 30 feet, and sometimes around 10 feet at the center of the longer runs. It occurred to me that that's got some antenna potential - but not sure what it would be good for. (It's also got some lightning potential so before the season comes I'm going to have to come up with a way to ground it where it enters the garage.) I'm sorely tempted to connect it to an old crystal set to see what I get. Or an RSP1.

Is this my big chance to get on 630 meters? Or 2200 m?

I know stainless (I think that's what he said it was - it's sure stiff, got whacked in the face while untangling a loop) is lossy but hey, free long wire. I know it's low. Maybe it's a N-S beverage in the making.

Just tossing it out there to see what ideas might surface. It seems like it's got some potential to be useful for radio.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
N1BCG

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 03:12:55 PM »

Time for a Beverage!  (antenna, that is)

You'll need some mechanically strong insulators at each end, and while it won't be fun bending the wires, you'll have a decent length directional receive antenna with max sensitivity from the direction that the receiver is connected.

Check out this link for design details:

https://www.w8ji.com/beverages.htm
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »

Hi Clark,

Not sure what you mean by needing strong insulators. The wire is already run through the trees alongside NK05, with an angle at each end to where the endpoints are. It's already up and it is what it is. The question is can I make use of it. I'm thinking I'll probably just try listening on it to start as it is. Then maybe try terminating it as a beverage type thing. I am curious if it would be useful on 630 or 2200. BTW, you were going to do some 630 meter work last year. Did that come to fruition?

Kevin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015