The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:31:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake T4X, T4 AM Modifications - Full AM Carrier - schematic and description  (Read 3401 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: February 17, 2019, 03:00:06 PM »

We never had the AM Window Drake AM mods drawn out in a schematic.

Bob, WA2POW is modifying his T4X and was nice enough to send me his CLEAN, redrawn before and after modification schematics. We only had the description in the past, so these mod schematics will be helpful to those folks in the future.

I wanted to get it into the our archives and the Google, etc.,  search engines.

Description:
https://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/t4.htm

T4-X and T4, etc., schematic mods before and after below:

(click on the BLUE .jpg LINKS below for proper up/down orientation)

Tom, K1JJ

* T-4XC Stock Controlled Carrier[1001].JPG (1719.21 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 426 times.)

* T-4XC Full Carrier Mod[1002].JPG (1906.96 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 464 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 05:21:16 PM »

Two observations if I may:

If the 500k is there to control the Final's power, one would need at least a 15 W resistor to do so since one needs to control at least 5 mA of screen current.

Secondly, when the resistor's value is changed, this changes the time constant of the Controlled Carrier circuit which changes the frequency response of the audio sent to the screen.

Suggestion: control the modulator's current (and hence the final's output power) via a low value 5W variable Cathode resistor with a large electrolytic bypass capacitor, and dispense with the 500k resistor, substituting it with a 12k, 5W resistor in order to maintain a constant audio response. This may require changing the value of one of the plate load resistors in order to establish the proper quiescent screen voltage.

Here is a similar "Clamp" or Shunt modulator we developed for a DX-60:

Phil

* DX-60 6CL6 Modulator.pdf (103.11 KB - downloaded 146 times.)

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 11:57:44 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions on the circuit, Phil -

I'll pass them along to WA2POW since he will be doing the mods.

These original mods were from Chris/ W2JBL and a number of guys successfully did them including me... but I always welcome improvements. I have long since sold my T4X so cannot try the new ones.

I've always been interested in trying the screen modulated DX- 60 mods so will hold onto yours.

Later -

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »

here is another circuit from Georgio IN3IEX:

http://www.ing.unitn.it/~fontana/TrueAMT4XB.pdf

More stuff here, look for TR4: (some are also here on the AM Window)

http://www.ing.unitn.it/~fontana/dida.html

* TrueAMT4XB.pdf (359.16 KB - downloaded 198 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 07:37:00 PM »

here is another circuit from Georgio IN3IEX:

http://www.ing.unitn.it/~fontana/TrueAMT4XB.pdf

More stuff here, look for TR4: (some are also here on the AM Window)

http://www.ing.unitn.it/~fontana/dida.html

I like it!   A simple MOSFET modulator is a great idea.

T

W2JBL

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »

Please note that this mod is only for the T4 series of transmitters. The transceivers TR3, 4 etc use a different modulator altogether. The best I've found for them is the modified DX60 circuit like the one from WA1QIX. I'm using one similar to it in my TR3 and TR4CW. The stock circuit in them uses a 13DE7 so the DX60 mod is a natural.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »

Please note that this mod is only for the T4 series of transmitters. The transceivers TR3, 4 etc use a different modulator altogether. The best I've found for them is the modified DX60 circuit like the one from WA1QIX. I'm using one similar to it in my TR3 and TR4CW. The stock circuit in them uses a 13DE7 so the DX60 mod is a natural.

OK, thanks Chris.

I had added in the TR-4 by error -   and have corrected the headings on my own posts for just T4 series.

Later -

T

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 12:11:59 PM »

Going on 10 years with the JJ/JBL mods in my T4X and all is well! You won't regret it.

* Drake Twins.JPG (3524.45 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 211 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015