The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:26:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Radio put Council Bluffs on the cutting edge of technology  (Read 1909 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« on: January 18, 2019, 01:42:04 PM »

Good article on Leo Meyerson and World Radio.

https://www.nonpareilonline.com/lifestyles/world-radio-put-council-bluffs-on-the-cutting-edge-of/article_0bbdc7f2-cc60-5412-bd68-92c430d2edd8.html
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »

Great article. Never realized Leo was behind the streamlining of crystal manufacturing. Knew he was a player in WWII but that was it. Without a doubt, he was one of the driving force for many a new ham operator, along with Heathkit, responsible for affordable gear.

Also never realized he had a chain of stores, or was still in business in 1989. I thought he'd sold out to Hy Gain or some other company long before that. Maybe that was just the Galaxy portion of the biz?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »

Fascinating story Steve.  I knew some of what was stated, but was missing a lot of the pieces.   

Just like B&W, WRL made its money with government contacts during WWII and that in turn supported the Amateur Radio market.   I was aware of his massive crystal operation, but had no idea that he was still at the helm with the spinoff companies.

He attempted to start a WRL museum at the Western Heritage museum in Lincoln, NE.  Martha and I stopped some years back and all the gear was gone. 

Joe       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015