Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/11/d132647312/htdocs/Amfone/mkportal/include/SMF/smf_out.php on line 47
3 phase to single phase larger transmitters

The AM Forum
March 21, 2019, 04:36:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 phase to single phase larger transmitters  (Read 935 times)
KL7OF

« on: January 08, 2019, 07:02:48 PM »

There are several ways to run a 3 phase transformer on single phase.....Most are a compromise of some sort...The conversion linked to here is for a welding machine but the result should be the same for a transmitter plate transformer.   http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/misc/CP-200_Single-Phase_Step-By-Step.pdf    Using motor run capacitors to achieve the proper circulation of currents in the iron core seems like it should be effective for a transmitter.  I'm not just sure how the capacitors "delay" the current to achieve proper phasing.. They don't say how the capacitance value was calculated but I presume it depends on the total current drawn.  Any comments about the "Haas-Kamp" method would be appreciated....  Steve KL7OF

addition:  Found this capacitance formula..https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-and-vfd/miller-cp-250ts-converted-single-phase-206509/
is this correct?
SM6OID

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 10:40:38 AM »

Hi!

Usually I keep my mouth shout if I'm not sure of what I'm saying...
But, I curious about this, so let me share my thoughts.

The main problem I see is the (usually) varying load that the transformer will see.
As a result of this, the phase shift will vary.
I suspect that this will result in ripple in the DC voltage.

Remember that a 3-phase rectifier usually calls for a fairly small capacitor bank.
(Specially if the secondary is a combination of D/Y windings.)

IF the transformer is affected in any detrimental way, I do not know, have to ask my wife.

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 01:01:19 PM »

Here is another approach...https://www.qsl.net/kf8od/transformer.html   I may try this one.  I am wondering about how much the current ratings will change.
W1ITT

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 02:17:09 PM »

I looked at the band saw conversion of 3-phase to single-phase transformers.  I have a big honking one out in the garage that would be a nice candidate.  My concern is the the band saw would leave burrs that would short circuit most of the laminations to each other.  Perhaps a belt sander with progressively finer grit would solve this, followed by a varnish treatment.

By the way, that same KF8OD site has a good article on winding your own plate transformer on C-cores.  Now that Peter W. Dahl company is out of business, you have to do your own if you want good transformers. 
WZ1M

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 03:02:58 AM »

Burrs, shorted laminations, wont make a difference. Laminations should all be "shorted" anyway. I have done this trick with a few 3 phase beautys and found out that you have to experiment with the connections to make sure they are not out of phase. Just use a variable supply at 20vac, monitor the current draw which should be pretty close to nothing at 20 vac, on the primary. If its drawing a fair amount of current then try another connection. While your doing this to the primary, be sure that all the secondary windings are not connected. If they are, your just chasing your tail.
Regards,
Gary
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREEN

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »

I've successfully disassembled several of them and set them up as single-phase jobs for clients. 

So far, the alternating nature of the lams allowed it to go together fine without any cutting. 

Look to get a little less than 2/3 the power out of it, or basically the difference between CCS and ICAS service.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 10:55:04 PM »

I vouch for the high quality of the above work.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KL7OF

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:54:30 AM »

The plate iron from TMC GPT 10-K.  Spec book says 1.6 Amp.   Has 3 ea. multi-tap primaries and 3 ea. 3400V secondaries. It is set up as Delta primary, Wye secondary. weighs over 200 lbs.  I'm going to town to buy some new band saw blades...

* tmc plate txfmr1.jpg (118.02 KB, 720x1280 - viewed 62 times.)

* tmc plate txfmr2.jpg (142.2 KB, 720x1280 - viewed 52 times.)

* tmc plate txfmr3.jpg (115.46 KB, 720x1280 - viewed 47 times.)
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:01 PM »

I find it easier (and cheaper) to restack them.

73DG

KL7OF

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 07:05:55 PM »

I find it easier (and cheaper) to restack them.

73DG
Dennis...Thanks for the information..Especially useful is your comment from your personal experience that one can expect a little less than 2/3 power out...I have been looking at the interleave pattern on the transformer I want to modify and it looks like I would have to take all the coils off and disassemble the entire 3 pillar core in order to restack them as a 2 pillar core....Is that how it works for you?  How long does it take to restack one of these things?  Any tricks for keeping the leaves aligned as you do it....?  I have several 3 phase transformers...I am going to try the Haas-Kamp method at some point as well....
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 07:13:55 PM »

I have been separating the horizontal lams from those vertical thru the core, leaving them in the core(s).

Then I sort out those that will bridge the two cores with necessary clearance, and reinsert them.

Cut and redrill the angle irons and terminal plate, done.

This leaves a lot of silicon steel left over.  You can, if you have enuf steel from several rebuilds, make an "O" core with the single leftover core for a decent HV trans as well.

Around here, I'm lucky enuf to have real 3-phase power: 277/480 200A.

73DG

KL7OF

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »

I sawed one core off my 3 phase transformer and hooked it up to the transmitter and it is working very well ...No hum....no buzz... no sparks...I did have to swap the leads around on the 240V primary to get everything in phase as recommended by Gary.  It  did nothing with the phase incorrect...This transmitter idles at 1/2 amp and that is all the load I've put on it so far..It was quick and easy to cut the core off and trim the mounting hardware down to fit..Im going to put some load on it this afternoon on 40 metros....I'll post the results....Thanks...Steve

UPDATE:   7290 khz... I ran the transmitter into the dummy at 2.5 KW carrier level ....yallos etc got all tuned up.. Transformer cool to the touch..No Buzzing, or flamage...got on the antenna..retuned...worked Calif on AM got a good report from Tom...then I .got an unsolicited report from an unidentified station that I was 10 kcs wide and had a hum..  So the transformer is working well...but I need more filtering ...the filter section is designed for 3 phase and comes up lacking on single phase...I'm happy...

* Look at those hams.jpg (85.07 KB, 564x624 - viewed 44 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone 2001-2015