The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:57:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammerlund HQ-110A  (Read 5510 times)
WB4YVO

« on: January 08, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »

All, Has anyone worked on this receiver.. The dial string seems not to work.. But looking inside its connected  but when I spin the Dial nothing  What am I missing?

Skip
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 11:18:42 PM »

All, Has anyone worked on this receiver.. The dial string seems not to work.. But looking inside its connected  but when I spin the Dial nothing  What am I missing?

Skip

Bunch of possibilities — in no particular order.

Does the left dial turn when you turn the tuning knob?  If not, then there could be an issue with the friction drive under the chassis that turns this dial.  Could be misadjustment of the friction plates (loose), something missing, or grease that's found its way either between the friction plates or the edge of the round dial plate.  or perhaps the dial is not properly positioned between the plates.  It's also possible that the tuning capacitor is extremely stiff or frozen and just won't move.  Or that the set screw that mounts the round tuning dial to the shaft is loose.

If the left dial turns and properly turns the tuning capacitor, but the right dial isn't moving, then perhaps one or both of the string drive assemblies are loose on the respective shaft.
WB4YVO

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:18:36 PM »

Ok, All Thanks..  The dial problem was the flywheel inside the chassis..  It was loose causing pinch drive to not engage..  After tighting all works as should..  Recapped the Electrolitics.. All other caps are Disc..Checked a few resistors and were in spec..

So I powered up .. At 117 volts draw was .600 Amps  .. Radio works but controls are scratchy.. so some cleaning required..

Thats the next step

Received signal generator all bands .. Dial calibration off on some bands.. 

Skip
K3ZS

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 07:58:07 AM »

Be careful with alignment.   The original manual I have was backwards on the diagram that showed the oscillator and alignment points.  The poor guy I bought it from had totally screwed up the alignment, even though the receiver worked perfectly after I aligned it.
WB4YVO

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:59:19 PM »

Ok Thanks  Do you have a correct copy?

Skip
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59:43 PM »

...The poor guy I bought it from had totally screwed up the alignment, even though the receiver worked perfectly after I aligned it....
I hate it when that happens!! Grin

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
K3ZS

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:34:35 AM »

In my manual just mirror image the diagram.  The best check is to slightly tweak the oscillator slug to see if it has changed on the band you are aligning.  It will be apparent right away if you have the right one.   I do not know if all manuals are like this.   The other slugs will be in line with the oscillator slug.
WB4YVO

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »

Thanks

Skip
WB4YVO

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:42:03 PM »

All, Anyone have any experience with the s-meter circuit in these Receivers?  I cannot get mine to Zero.. I can get close but I run out of adjustment..

Skip...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 09:55:36 PM »

I like the clock feature on that receiver. Mot many have a clock.. we get long winded with that 10 minute station ID rule.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WB4YVO

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 11:27:38 PM »

Well, After a full alignment The S-meter is now working correctly..Can hear all kinds of signals on 160,80,40 Meters..Some on 20 Meters .. No Signals on 15 meters or 10 Meters Also 6 meters But receives Signal Generator Fine..

Why s-meter started to work correctly .. Who Knows..

Skip
WB4YVO

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 11:28:08 PM »

Well, After alignment I went back to check it the following day.. The first 3 bands ( 1.8, 3.5 and 7.0 ) were all off again..The other bands were still right on..

So I realigned them again.. Tonight I went to check and they were way off again.. Realigned again..

Any one have a clue as to why they keep going out of alignment Huh

PS this is the OSC alignment The RF and ANT were pretty close.. But did drift a little..
Skip
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 07:56:03 AM »

Do you allow the receiver to "warm up" for 20 minutes or so before starting to verify freqs?

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
WB4YVO

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 11:20:07 AM »

Over an hour..
Skip
WB4YVO

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 04:47:49 PM »

Well, It looks like it finally stabilized.. I just checked bands and all are very close.. Have NO Clue WHY..

So i just put it in cabinet and Turned off. I will check it later this evening again after warming up for an hour..

Stay Tuned>>>..

Skip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015