The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:50:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for source of 10Ga Silicon Power Cords  (Read 2663 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: January 07, 2019, 11:49:41 AM »

Does anyone have a good source for the silicon super flexible power cable wire in 10 GA?  $2 a foot seems a bit overpriced.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABOPO2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had a minor issue with my Flex 6500 on AM which I tracked down to a voltage drop between the power supply and the solid-state finals. Had a 1.4v drop which was attributed to minor oxidation on the internal fuse and a likely under rated power cord. Applied a small amount of conductive silver grease to the fuse and all connectors, and temporarily ran another power cord in parallel. Now only .1v drop
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:26:39 PM »

You might try eBay under "amp power wire" or the local Best Buy in the car stereo/booming bass section. The soon-to-be-deaf use a lot of 8, 4, even 1/0 power cable...

Ed/KB8TWH

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »

Home cheapo sells a 10 gauge flexible extension cord I've bought and cut up more than once....  Cheaper than 10 gauge romex but would NOT meet code inside a wall, etc.

--Shane
KD6VXI
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »

I have the same problem with my Flex 5000. What you did to the connections is a good thing. I run my Flex with 15 volts DC out of the power supply. Flex uses a high side current sense resistor, and between that and the cables, expect at least 1 volt drop between the finals and the power supply.

Here is a good source, super flexible 8 awg red and black wires that go for $0.99 a foot:
https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/battery-cable/

If 12awg is good enough, here is a two wire pair for the same price ($15 for 15')"
https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/product/12-awg-jl-audio-speaker-wire/

Jim
Wd5JKO
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:34:56 PM »

Ok, so it looks like $1/ft/conductor is the going rate.Ordered it from Amazon and it’s sitting home waiting for me. Thanks to all!
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 05:27:09 PM »

When shopping for low voltage wire, be careful that you're getting an all copper conductor. Some sell aluminum wire with a copper coating. They may not state that fact very clearly either. I bought heavy jumper cable at the local auto parts store as a source for heavy wire. Got it home, cut the clamp off, and yep, copper coated aluminum. Angry

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »

When shopping for low voltage wire, be careful that you're getting an all copper conductor. Some sell aluminum wire with a copper coating. They may not state that fact very clearly either. I bought heavy jumper cable at the local auto parts store as a source for heavy wire. Got it home, cut the clamp off, and yep, copper coated aluminum. Angry
Don

Don, The reason they are made that way is the cost is too high to do it right. Case in point:

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/booster-cables-that-dont-suck/

I bought a set for my son. He can jump start a vehicle on a trailer from the tow vehicle with the battery up front. Worth every cent.

Jim
Wd5JKO
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:14:27 AM »

Got the stuff I ordered. Very good quality. Worth the price. I made my Jumper cables from 2/0 welding cable. 40 years old - never failed me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015