The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:59:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The AM Rally Returns! February 1-4 2019  (Read 11093 times)
N1BCG

« on: December 18, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »

With just six weeks and some major holidays coming up, I thought I'd better mention early that the AM Rally operating event will be held the 1st weekend of February on this schedule:

0000Z Saturday February 2 - 0700Z Monday February 4

( 7:00pm EST Friday February 1 - 2:00am EST Monday February 4 )
( 4:00pm PST Friday February 1 - 11:00pm PST Sunday February 3 )

With Groundhog Day on Saturday, the Super Bowl on Sunday, and the AM Rally operating event throughout the weekend, it's truly a triple celebration!

There are even plans for W1Aw to put their Gates BC1T on the air for the event!

We have a new video!  https://www.youtube.com/embed/c8CEVvfXHaA?rel=0

The purpose of this event is to encourage the use of Amplitude Modulation on the 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 , and 6 meter Amateur Radio Bands, and to highlight various types of AM equipment in use today. This event is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation (standard AM), using any type of radio equipment. Modern, Vintage, Tube, Transistor, Software Defined, Military, Boat Anchor, Broadcast, Home Brew or Commercially available radio are all welcomed to join in on the AM fun.

Details at www.AMRally.com
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »

Clark, am I getting this confused with another event, or is this the event where Steve QIX developed a custom logging software? One of the suggestions I made was to have such software be able to import the ADIF file that mainstream logging software uses. Wonder if that will happen.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »

Clark, am I getting this confused with another event, or is this the event where Steve QIX developed a custom logging software? One of the suggestions I made was to have such software be able to import the ADIF file that mainstream logging software uses. Wonder if that will happen.

I may very well have that feature completed for the upcoming (in Feb) AM Rally!  Stay tuned.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »

Any Heavy Metal Rally dates?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »

The Question?

Do I participate in the Rally, or do I celebrate the wife's birthday?

Enquiring mind wants to know.

klc

What? Me worry?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »

The Question?

klc

Well, the rally spans a number of days.  There should be some time in there for some operating  Grin

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KD1SH

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 09:30:53 PM »

Any Heavy Metal Rally dates?

Per the December issue of Electric Radio: the 2019 Heavy Metal Rally will be Saturday, January 5th.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 11:49:44 PM »

The Question?

klc

Being unmarried I am thinking outside the box for solutions. I have it. For her birthday, surprise her by inviting her to sit in on your attendance at the rally. That shouldbe a fine present!! But you have to serve the canionical beer on a tray, not she, because it is her birthday!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »

I'll definitely try getting on 40 throughout the weekend, i might have my 814 rig done by then for 75. Finally got my 807 rig figured out on 40, and have an antenna up for that band that works, now i just need a few more crystals to cover the more active areas of 40, i have 7200, 7225, 7275, and a 3595 that can be doubled to 7190, which in years past i have seen spreading out from the usual 7285-7295 area, so at least i have some alternatives covered.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »

P,

I think that is a fine idea...... I don't think that she would.

klc

I would offer to share a beer.

What? Me worry?
WD5BJT

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 08:35:41 AM »

I had more fun listening than transmitting. There are some long winded ops on the bands taking 5 to 10 minutes to turn the frequency over for other callers. This happened after the station acknowledged the need to "over". That style was amusing to listen to. SPREAD OUT!!! This will give the low powered stations the ability to actually make a QSO or two. I missed out on many attempts to QSO W1AW and WA1QIX because of this. My entry was the second year to participate. There was much fun to be had, and I had lots of it. I will be back next year.
73 & Best DX
Charlie
WD5BJT
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 09:16:44 AM »

Fun event!

I was only able to operate on 75M for a couple of hours on Sunday. First station I worked was W1AW on 3885, good to hear their audio chain I helped to craft. Tim's BC1T worked and sounded great. Then found 3875 open, so I planted there and called CQ AM Rally. Worked 12 stations within the two hours. Enjoyed a couple of folks running ICOM rigs at low power, and some homebrew rigs.

Tuned 40M which was crowded, and 20M which had two AM QSO's (one from my home area of Louisiana (WD5BJR?)). Nothing on 10M.

Thanks Clark, Steve and others for managing the fun event!

Dan
W1DAN
N1BCG

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 07:18:30 PM »

W1AW- The Collins 32v3 and 75a4 station

* 55649352-A737-483A-B410-AF4BA4A81C73.jpeg (1046.77 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 711 times.)

* 4241EEE8-9B1A-4A1F-A166-795E252BF93A.jpeg (1028.55 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 562 times.)
n4joy

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 03:54:37 PM »

I had more fun listening than transmitting. There are some long winded ops on the bands taking 5 to 10 minutes to turn the frequency over for other callers. This happened after the station acknowledged the need to "over". That style was amusing to listen to. SPREAD OUT!!! This will give the low powered stations the ability to actually make a QSO or two. I missed out on many attempts to QSO W1AW and WA1QIX because of this. My entry was the second year to participate. There was much fun to be had, and I had lots of it. I will be back next year.
73 & Best DX
Charlie
WD5BJT

Same here, Charlie. I share your frustration!  I am glad everyone enjoyed but the AM Rally isn't for me.  I never seem to have good luck during the rally and don't enjoy dodging 200+ watt carriers.  There seemed to be way too many long winded ops running a lot of power and not providing enough time to break.  At 40 watts or so, I made only one or two contacts on 40.       
N1BCG

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »

I am glad everyone enjoyed but the AM Rally isn't for me.

We'd like to change that. True, the AM Rally brings out a crowd, which is great, but there are pileups and the Sunday nets.

Spreading out is always a good idea, but next year we might arrange for ~100 Watt stations off the beaten path for the sole purpose of helping similar stations make contacts. This way you can get in a variety of contacts and save the pileups for later.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »

There is nothing stopping anyone from finding a clear frequency and calling CQ. Pile ups and power levels are irrelevant when using this operating technique.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015