The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:08:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hit with 6kv yesterday... DON'T trust the Millen connectors!  (Read 53559 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2018, 01:43:28 AM »

and.. Euro stuff..
http://www.blf.it/neon-har-en50143
http://www.ceteletric.com/catalogue/speciali/ic-hv.htm

Italian, and from Venice. EN-50143 is a spec there now for HV and neon cables.

the links in other posts, Anco wire - looks about $37 for 100FT. more costly that gool ole GTO-15 but our lives are worth it, eh?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2018, 08:33:02 AM »

Please explain why you don't want to use normal coax? With the shield connected to ground, it is just as safe as the 37$ cable.
I used RG58 at 4 kV 1,5 Amp for many years together with the HV BNC connectors. And if you need more, there are many other types of coax like RG8, RG213 etc.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »

Not the same stuff, but found.

https://www.blackburnmarine.com/product/472/ancor-gto-white-high-voltage-coax-cable

Even has a pic of the braided end.

--Shane
KD6VXI

Search for "GTO neon wire" and you will see a lot of sources, including epay.

One fellow on epay says that the "other guy's" wire hardens and cracks, his is Silicone
by Technolux... fyi.  I'm searching now myself.

PA0NVD, this stuff is rated to 15kv. Also is supposed to be very flexible, a plus in some situations.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »

The elephant in the shack...

Now that we're paying attention to our high voltage DC wiring, how about that un-shielded, un-insulated, 600 ohm, open wire transmission line coming out of the back of the Johnson Kilowatt Matchbox? High voltage RF is as dangerous as DC - probably hurts even more!

Let's make sure we route O.W.L. where no one will be able to come in contact with it, every foot of the way from the tuner to the antenna.

Personally, I use coax.

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »

I've built power supplies to 12 kv before.  Necessitates a little better than rg58 or so.

There is quite a bit of different GTO style wire out there.  Some shielded, some not.

Turns out the shielded stuff is for marine vertical antennas.  Whodathunk that you'd need hv rated wire on a vertical?

I have aome of the stuff here that cracks.  Pulled it out of a building that had caught fire...  I wonder.

I've been but by my vertical before (on the car, ten meters) and as such always kept away from the owl.  But you bring up a good point.  Especially where it feeds through the walls.  Excellent spot for a arc, fire, etc.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2018, 12:06:38 PM »

Please explain why you don't want to use normal coax? With the shield connected to ground, it is just as safe as the 37$ cable.
I used RG58 at 4 kV 1,5 Amp for many years together with the HV BNC connectors. And if you need more, there are many other types of coax like RG8, RG213 etc.

It's not that big a deal but it is an improvement when volts are high and it should allow a better enclosed cable and connector.
I also like voltage ratings to be 2X what is expected for safety and for avoiding surprise repairs.
The power supply can make 6KV so whatever wire is used should be for >12KV.
Coax might be fine within its limitations. For example a few sites give 5000V RMS for RG-213. To me that's 7KV, and it is short of my 'personal' safety margin.
GTO is usually #14, more Amp rating than I need, but TV CRT lead wire is rated higher like 20-40KV, sometimes can be found NOS for cheap. I suppose a question about coax would be, what cheap coax is rated for what voltage? If it says 'request quote' then time to click X.

PA0NVD

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »

PE is DC rated at 20 kV/mm, PTFE at 60kV/mm. That means that RG58 has a breakdown at 36 kV. If you take a safety margin of a factor 5, which is ok for us, it will be safe at 7 kV. The current rating is max 4 Amp. including safety margin and an ambient temp of 40 degr. C. A higher current will result in degradation of safety due to heating.
There are few hams that like to transport 15 kV DC. I think is is NOT a good engineering practice to transport those voltage levels, than you need to combine all in one cabinet with there safety measures.
PA0NVD

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »

Farnell states the data of the manufacturer as 15 kV DC for RG 58

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/84294.pdf
WBear2GCR

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2018, 01:07:01 AM »

Ok, maybe I'm amazed!  Wink

Here's the app note from Spellman HV company, a big US name in HV power supplies.
Looks like lowly RG-58 is quite good @<15kvDC!!

Who knew!

* SPELLMAN HV AN-07.pdf (370.53 KB - downloaded 282 times.)

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »

Yeah, I was looking at the specs for lmr240.

BIG difference.  Lmr rated to 1.5kv!

I also read that there is a HUGE diff between dielectric used in the coass.  So that is something to be aware of as well.

I have hipot that will run up to 15kv (iirc).  Whenever I get the stones back up to go turn the hv breakers back on, maybe I'll hi pot an old piece.

As to safety ratings.  I'll have to agree with opcom.  When in towing, everything was rated at half.  They would find the breaking limit of a chain / wire rope / snatch block / whatever based upon testing.  Then half that value and that was our WLL....  Working Load Limit.  And most would take higher than that.

In looking at the HV rated stuff, the mfg are even more cautious.  The connectors I bought are tested over 10kv, but rated to 5.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2019, 08:23:06 AM »

Farnell states the data of the manufacturer as 15 kV DC for RG 58

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/84294.pdf

Thanks, I had not found that. Since it is stated in the data I have no argument.

Where can it be had in the USA for reasonable prices?

That is too often the issue, that there is the spec, but all of them either do not show a price, or insist one buy a 500FT spool.

WBear2GCR

« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »

...any PE center insulated RG-58U should meet the spec. Belden for example.

PA0NVD

« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2019, 09:06:46 AM »

I agree with Bear, any USA or European RG58 is ok, perhaps except the poor quality Chinese products
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2019, 01:51:28 PM »

Week 3 pics.  Healing up.   Blisters and burned skin have almost all been flaked / sluffed / cleaned off.  The areas that are now not 'open' type wounds don't hurt anymore....  They are tender, but that's to be expected.

Have chest issues, dunno if they are related.  Going to pulmonologist, cardiologist and dermatologist as soon as my insurance approves.  Doc wants them on board in case anything pops up in the future.

Pain is about the same, 4 to 5 on the open wounds.  Since my motorcycle wreck that's pretty much life though.  I chose to go pain pill free in 2012.

In talking with my boys and yl, they seem to indicate a difference in mood / demeanor / whatever.  I seem to have gotten 'nicer'....  Not a bad thing by any means, I'll be the first to admit.

SHV connectors are almost here!  Going through soldering withdrawals!

--Shane
KD6VXI

* 20190106_101506.jpg (4081.96 KB, 4160x3120 - viewed 597 times.)

* 20190106_101511.jpg (3184 KB, 4160x3120 - viewed 555 times.)

* 20190106_102423.jpg (3437.77 KB, 4160x3120 - viewed 548 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2019, 02:35:33 PM »

Wow, that first picture with the yellow pus tells it all.... much more graphic than the original injury pics.

Remember my story about getting belted with 800VDC that tore open flesh on my hand, 3rd degree burns and wounds that didn't heal for months?  Yours looks like mine after 3 weeks....pus pockets that don't go away.  It's dead flesh that needs to be regrown. Keep it clean and be very patient.   Mine took over a year until people didn't notice the scars in shock.

Congrats on going pain-pill-free since 2012.   Most take the easy way out.

All the best for speedy regrowth, OM.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »

Pain is about the same, 4 to 5 on the open wounds.  Since my motorcycle wreck that's pretty much life though.  I chose to go pain pill free in 2012.

In talking with my boys and yl, they seem to indicate a difference in mood / demeanor / whatever.  I seem to have gotten 'nicer'....  Not a bad thing by any means, I'll be the first to admit.

Shane,

Your experience just turned from being educational to being inspirational. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »

One more week gone by.

My hand is really starting to come around.  Wounds have healed up and now they ITCH!  lol.

Still have to keep the burn cream / antibacterial on it.

My leg is still open.  Not a big opening....  But still raw.

--Shane
KD6VXI

* 20190113_203424.jpg (4031.9 KB, 4160x3120 - viewed 505 times.)

* 20190113_203428.jpg (4704.02 KB, 4160x3120 - viewed 523 times.)

* 20190113_203436.jpg (3660.5 KB, 4160x3120 - viewed 531 times.)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 01:01:43 PM »

Second set.

All the pics in this and my prior post where taken last night, similar time to the previous ones.....  Just didn't have time to upload last night.

Got the SHV connectors in.  Hard to not head out to the shop!

--Shane
KD6VXI

* 20190113_204027.jpg (4344.44 KB, 4160x3120 - viewed 542 times.)
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2019, 08:46:27 PM »

[Wounds have healed up and now they ITCH!]

That is the nerves regrowing!

Glad you are well on the mend.  All the best, Bill.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2022, 09:34:20 AM »

Shocked

Um... Yes, Your defiantly lucky to still be here..  112.5 uf Is one hell of a supply to discharge through you and to still have the 2.5 amp grunt with probably a 5 amp peak behind that... Makes my chest hurt from here.. I know that you know your stuff but we all tend to get a little careless around HV.
I have several times found myself reaching into a "hot" hv supply, the few times Ive been bit, Im sure I will have some long term issues from it. You might want to revisit the doc after you heal.. An EKG might be a good thing to pursue just to make sure you dont have any lingering heart damage.
You have to hang out on this planet for years to come, there aren't enough competent techs that will touch the big boy stuff.. Grin

Interestingly enough (I never updated this after the fact)

This happened in Dec.  In November the following year I started having heart issues.  By December had been hospitalized once.

Started heart tests, stress tests, etc. in January.

Spent my birthday, February, in the hospital having emergency heart surgery.

One time I was on an EKG machine and had a pulse over 180.  BP was 189/110.

So you where right, Sam.  Lingering effects did happen. 

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2022, 10:34:25 AM »

S,

If it's any consolation, I'll never use the Millen connectors.......  I think I'll just try to crimp/bolt my HV.

klc

What? Me worry?
w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2022, 01:15:45 PM »

Mine is crimped, soldered with a shrink tube, then bolted to the cap on the RF deck. I use 30kv red flexible wire. I fed it up in a pvc channel in the rack from the PS at the bottom to the RF deck. It then connects to the plate choke/bypass cap union with a 5mm bolt into the ruskie cap. Very firm connection and not anywhere near the back of the unit. Worked out well for my needs. I had bought some of those HV BNC like connectors and decided to not use them in this situation.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2022, 03:46:45 PM »

For HV interface connections, I always mount  strapping standoff insulators on the chassis, usually out of reach from the back, inside the cabinet.

Shown below is my pair of 813s modulated by a pair.  The modulated B+ and modulator plate connections go through these standoffs.

Look at the right side of pic #2 to see these insulators.

T

* DSCF0007.JPG (332.41 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 216 times.)

* DSCF0002.JPG (323.79 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 276 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2022, 04:07:58 PM »

OK.
Gotta ask.
Why the kitty pic?

klc

What? Me worry?
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2022, 06:45:45 PM »

I purchased some of those SHV connectors as Shane recommended. However, I question the current capability of the center conducting pin. BTW I took all those connectors to work and ran them through the Megger @5KV without issues.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015