The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:23:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30K-5: The Road Back (Again)  (Read 6442 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: November 17, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »

Had the great pleasure and honor of a visit from none other than W3JN this past Monday to get a favorite project moving forward again: the ol' Collins 30K, model 5.

Some will recall a few years back Johnny traveled down to my place in NC to help me get the transmitter on the air. That trip was successful, resulting in a return to the air of a transmitter than had been dormant for over 3 decades. I first got the 30K-5 back in the summer of 1985 by trading a Hallicrafters SR-150 and power supply that I had about $125 in, if that.

Since the move to northern VA in 2016, it had sat unused in the garage pending a decision on location. That got settled this past spring so it got moved into the basement over the summer. I won't get into the details of that adventure beyond saying that 'JN saved the day there, too!

A brief description for clarity: the 30K-5 is a 2 channel, crystal-controlled version of the venerable 30K-1 amateur model. It has two complete, separate tank circuits using plug in coils that can be switched in or out via numerous relays, along with a switching system for the aerials involving three more relays.

Anyhow - I figured it would come back to life easily since it was working on Ch 1 set up for 80m. Ch 2 was set up for 40m, but try as I may - no joy there. Pulled the RF deck, checked and cleaned relays (eight on that deck alone), tube sockets, switches, and inspected for bad connections or other damage. Only missed one, which John found but wasn't the problem.
Reinstalled the deck, but no improvement.

Enter W3JN with his vast experience and test equipment to match. You know when someone shows up carrying their own scope and a service monitor, they intend to win. I was in the basement when he arrived, announced by my wife who said "Oh Todd...your play date is here..." as she handed me a bag of test leads and probes Johnny had brought in. I married a humorous girl.

He did a thorough wringing out of the transmitter with the same results, so out came the RF deck again. Not a difficult task, just annoyingly tedious due mostly to EIGHT tuning knobs and their associated dial locks.

Johnny went through the deck from top to bottom. Aside from finding one ground STRAP(strap) that had broken free, nothing was obvious. He broke out the HP service monitor and began checking backward through the tank circuits for resonance, having checked the oscillator and multiplier stages while still in the transmitter. All seemed well.

Back in went the RF deck, followed by a dinner break, then back to it. Still no joy.

So we swapped all of the 40m coils from Ch 2 over to Ch 1 and tried again. There was a spark (arc, actually) of life! Johnny fiddled with the tuning knobs (Oscillator tuning, Multiplier Tuning, Antenna Tuning & Loading, Plate Tuning) and before long, it was breathing RF fire again. Further testing for harmonic suppression and looking at the audio proved satisfactory. I was listening on the Mohawk receiver to his progress. Plenty-o-signal from a single 4-125A modulated by a pair of 75THs.

We called it a day so 'JN could make the hour+ drive north before it got much later. The next day I swapped out the 75A-1 receiver which also has some problems and installed the 75A-4 in its place temporarily. Got on the Apache and tried to raise WB3FAU on 40 for a quick test, no luck. After shutting down the transmitter I heard a carrier, followed by a familiar voice calling me. It was Joe, WA2PJP. Threw the switch, went back to him and asked if he could standby while I tested a different transmitter. Joe reported that it was working well, stronger than the 100watt peanut whistle and (amazingly) 'the audio sounds much better than the stock Apache, more lows'.

The transmitter is alive and well, and set up on 40m as I type this. The band sounds like crap today. The problem with Ch 2 is narrowed down to the crystal input area with the socket, trimmer, and relay as the only suspects since everything beyond is working fine for Ch 1. Hard to test the relay with the deck out and no power to it as several are wired in parallel. Will get back to it at some point, but really need to enjoy using it some, first.

Many, many thanks to John/W3JN for giving his time and expertise to this old transmitter project. I was stumped (not difficult to do) and dead in the water before his arrival. As before, I could only get things so far before my paygrade and patience ran out. John's methodical, complete approach left no stone unturned. His experience combined with excellent test gear gave the RF deck a thorough checkup. Photos included below.

Hope to work some of you on 40 now that I have a real signal and audio that won't make yer ears bleed! Cheesy

* Maestro_2.JPG (708.57 KB, 1330x2000 - viewed 450 times.)

* RF-out_4.JPG (432.61 KB, 997x1500 - viewed 418 times.)

* RF-out_2.JPG (325.43 KB, 1500x997 - viewed 392 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »

A few more....

* Up_1.JPG (714.53 KB, 1330x2000 - viewed 369 times.)

* Lit_2.JPG (500.92 KB, 1766x1293 - viewed 437 times.)

* In The Dark.JPG (388.84 KB, 2000x1330 - viewed 406 times.)

W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »

Beautiful transmitter and station Todd! That night shot sure looks inviting with that "warm and toasty" feeling. Yes, the glow and maybe one of John's Cuban cigars kicking back just taking it all in..
I haven't been that active, but I will fire up the JV-500 and look for you on 40!

Congrats to you and John on a successful job.   

Jeff

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 11:49:13 AM »

Thanks Jeff - good to hear from you, it's been a while.

Definitely a neat transmitter, a few more tweaks as we go along will finish it up. The important part is, it's back on the air making RF. There will never be anything quite like the look and feel of walking into a radio room lit and warmed by tube gear and getting to sit down and operate it.

We don't seem to find the time for cigars and refreshments like we used to. Photos below of the 'debris' left over this time compared to a few years back when Johnny first revived the old girl down in NC. Then again, we spent a few hours this time vs a few days.

You'll be pleased to know that the first 40m contact was with another JV 500 and nothing blew up, so we're safe!

Sounds like a corntest on 40 today. Also have to head out for the offspring's 6th birthday party in a few, but really looking forward to catching up on the air again soon, Jeff. Been toooooooo long. Need to get the 80m wire up next. Leaves are almost down.

* Debris.JPG (711.81 KB, 1920x1276 - viewed 380 times.)

* 30Kbeer2.JPG (264.33 KB, 960x720 - viewed 354 times.)

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 11:33:42 AM »

ALL that and RF too??? Good job guys.
I'll be a lookin' fer ya, Todd!

But, speaking of ol' girls, take a look at the pic attached Todd. I have, on decent authority, the old Super Pro you now have is one of the ones in this 1937 WMI Shore Station Lorain, Ohio photo.

Hey, it could happen!

* WMI_1937_Op_RoomL.jpg (44.4 KB, 834x675 - viewed 376 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:33:33 PM »

What??  Only one person drinking?

Slackers.

KLC

What? Me worry?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »

I had to drive back home  Roll Eyes

Lots of fun getting the old girl back on the air.  Still need to do a bit of troubleshooting around the Ch1 oscillator but we ran outta time.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 04:44:32 PM »

But we got it cornered at the oscillator stage. Wink   I suspect the relay as you suggested, and as luck would have it, I recently uncovered the box-o-relays in the pole barn. Might just be the contacts need mo' bettah cleanin'.

Buddly - it was good to work you on 40 yesterday. You had a great signal down here in northern VA. Henry Drake sounded just fine even prior to processing.

As to the SP photo - I have always felt strongly that the receiver came from that station, though if that shot is from '37 those would be the SP-10, the -100's older brother. The SP-100 came out in '38. Easy to tell in a clearer shot - the -100 has the arc with hash marks under the numerals over the controls, SP-10 does not. The fact that you got that SP-100 from someone in Lorain whose father owned it, along with the period-wired front panel jack really points to WMI. Henry Rogers of Western Heritage fame has one from Lorain that came with the same jack in the same place. And I'm guessing there weren't a lot of SP-10s or -100s floating around your town aside from WMI 'surplus'.

So far I've assembled the pre-war Hammarlund family back to grandpa: SP-200SX (whippersnapper kid), SP-100X, SP-10(sons), Comet Pro (dad), and good ol' Grandpappy shown below. They all need work, of course. Good winter projects!

* HR-10.JPG (496.36 KB, 1939x1289 - viewed 332 times.)

* HR-12.JPG (705.32 KB, 2000x1330 - viewed 335 times.)

* HR-35.JPG (482.41 KB, 2000x1330 - viewed 316 times.)

Tom W2ILA

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »

That 30k setup is crazy cool. Hope to hear you on 40 during the pending winter hibernation.

W2ILA
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »

Re the HR pix, all I can say is WOW!  TRF?  Never heard of that model...I assume the pix are all of the same set and the numbers in the file names are just picture sequence numbers?  Interesting in that’s actually a Hammarlund-Roberts not a Hammaurlund.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »

That's a really beautiful job there!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 11:27:28 AM »

One of the coolest things about this board is getting to look at the cool stuff we collect. And then seeing how it's usually a regional thing.

Half the equipment you east siders have I've never heard of!

But man, this is beautiful!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »

TNX Pat. It's nice to have a little time for radio now and again.

That 30k setup is crazy cool. Hope to hear you on 40 during the pending winter hibernation.
You can bank on it, Tom. Haven't worked you in some time, would be good to catch up on the air.

Re the HR pix, all I can say is WOW!  TRF?  Never heard of that model...I assume the pix are all of the same set and the numbers in the file names are just picture sequence numbers?  Interesting in that’s actually a Hammarlund-Roberts not a Hammaurlund.

Same set, first two are shortly after its arrival here when it was still in its cabinet. Last one is after some cleaning and replacement of the broken vernier. Missing a piece of the cabinet which a list member has graciously offered to make for me, just need to get him the measurements.

Now, don't quote me on any of this as I'm definitely no expert, but from what I've managed to read, Hammarlund Roberts was a company formed by Hammarlund in the mid-20s before they started making their own sets. At that point they built variable caps and other parts which they sold to radio manufacturers as well as amateurs and folks building their own BC sets. Hammarlund Roberts was formed to sell kit radios, sorta the Heathkit of their time. They used high grade components of their own manufacture as well as those made by others. This receiver is the first Hi-Q model from around 1926, though I believe there was at least one previous Hammarlund Roberts kit. There were a number of others following it, like the Hi-Q Six, Hi-Q 29 Junior, -29 Master, Hi-Q 30 and probably others. Information is hard to come by. I've managed to pick up 3 original manuals so far including for this model and always on the lookout for more.

Got a ways to go with this one. It was so filthy with sooty attic crud that I just had to clean it up. All of the wiring is brittle and several cold solder joints found so far, also one coil that needs repair from someone shoving all the extra parts and cords inside. Hope to get it going this winter.

Right now, this transmitter project is front and center. Hoping to track down the muting relay today that I removed several years back while un-hacking it.

* HR-4.JPG (677.27 KB, 2000x1330 - viewed 264 times.)

* HR-39.JPG (531.94 KB, 1758x1323 - viewed 263 times.)

* HR-40.JPG (559.26 KB, 1819x1323 - viewed 256 times.)

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 11:43:21 AM »

The interesting thing about finding the transmitter Shane, is that until the 80s influx of flatlanders, Vermont was basically a poor-ish agricultural state with more cows than people. Not a lot of money around so you wouldn't expect to find things like Johnson Viking Kilowatts, KW-1s, or other high-end (for the time) gear. Yet they were out there, waiting to be discovered. Probably still more in barns and basements. Of course, this one was imported as part of the MARS program so it doesn't count.

Found a couple shots of the 30K as it looked when I first got it. Pretty sure the first shot is in the barn where I got it, second was after I moved it to my folks' barn where my interim radio room was located in the hay loft. Had fun dragging it around the barn and up the ramp to the loft while it was strapped onto a refrigerator dolly!

* 30K-5_as found 1985.JPG (1329.13 KB, 1726x2500 - viewed 277 times.)

* 30K-5_home 1985.JPG (1205.16 KB, 1628x2500 - viewed 285 times.)

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »

Great story, but it introduces a few questions.

1. Are we (the current amateur generation) the end of the beginning, or the beginning of the end?
2. Will the new comers to the hobby share the enthusiasm to revive this vintage equipment?
3. Has anyone ever contemplated having some of the boat anchors guru's start to document their techniques and memoirs so they can hopefully be passed on, or in the future will a boat anchor be considered a TS-440?

Maybe large hamfests should start considering having large demos of vintage AM gear to hopefully establish some interest in the new blood.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 05:53:15 PM »

Vintage will change.  It will be things like FT101s  (just like '70s Corvettes are considered vintage !!).  The '70s seems like yesterday to me.  It's hard to get one's mind around the '70s being vintage.  But, it is.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 09:37:13 AM »

Exactly right, Steve. One need only look as far as the antique and collector car market to see it more clearly. The Packards, Pierce Arrows, Model Ts and other 'desirable' cars of a few decades ago have long since given way to the '57 T-Bird, '70 Chevelle, Mustangs, Corvettes, GTOs, muscle cars and other vehicles of the 50s-70s. The older cars still have a following that I'd equate to younger boatanchor enthusiasts - it's there and always will be, but the wave crested some time ago. Very generational. I came from the era you mention - the FT-101, KWM-2, Kenwood 599 twins and so on. Was always attracted more to the older gear, though.

As to expecting hamfests, clubs, or others in general to represent this part of the hobby, it's really up to us and no one else. Most hamfests are more than happy to have someone interested in setting up displays or a special event station to enhance the overall experience for attendees. Few go out with a specific 'invite' list beyond, perhaps, guest speakers. NEAR-Fest has always been open to such things; getting someone to do it becomes the issue. As with anything else, many like to talk about it - few actually do it.

The 'QIX 'hatchback station' at NEAR-Fest is one example of doing it - exposing some aspect of ham radio like Class E, AM, whatever - to the masses. Dale/KW1I always has a period-appropriate military station set up. It's been a staple of NEAR-Fest since its inception and for decades of Hosstraders events before it. And it's pulled more than a few people into the milsurplus side of amateur radio.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »

This might be an interesting topic to submit to Ham Nation and see if Bob Heil would do a short segment.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »

Go for it. I'm certainly willing to contribute whatever I can from here to promote the cause.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015