The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:13:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity License Plates  (Read 9826 times)
WB3JOK

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »

I've been pulled over twice in my '65 flatbed with '65 plates. One city cop, one state trooper. Neither of them had ever heard of the perfectly Missouri-legal "Year of Manufacture" plate instead of the ordinary Historic plates.  Roll Eyes

the identity and road rage issues

Exactly why I don't have them either!

The best vanity plate I ever saw, though, read "F NADER" and it was on a beautifully restored Corvair  Grin
k5mo

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 04:45:46 PM »

NC is $10/ yr....

Never had an issue, and I always drive like my brother.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 01:09:42 AM »

The best vanity plate I ever saw, though, read "F NADER" and it was on a beautifully restored Corvair  Grin

I once saw a Virginia vanity plate "4N SPY" on the Beltway just outside of DC a while back.  You would think those types wouldn't advertise!  Seems like Virginia has a notably higher preponderance of vanity plates, at least in the DC area, relative to other parts of the country.  Are VA vanity plates very cheap and easy to obtain, or is it a demographic thing, lots of people with big egos running around down there?

We had a 65 Corvair  95 HP two door hardtop when I was a senior in high school, until it suffered a severe case of understeer vs. the dreaded Corvair oversteer on flash frozen glare ice on a curve and I buried it into a telephone pole all the way up to the front wheels. Was only going about 25 MPH.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K4CCW

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 07:54:21 AM »

NC is $10/ yr....

Never had an issue, and I always drive like my brother.

I hope I have the same experience as you, as I just ordered my call plates.

And, I also miss Click and Clack. They were about the best thing on NPR but that’s for another thread.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 09:17:31 AM »

I once saw a Virginia vanity plate "4N SPY" on the Beltway just outside of DC a while back.  You would think those types wouldn't advertise! 

Anyone can get a vanity plate. I could get one that says DOCTOR, doesn't mean I am. Wink It just has to be available.
Seems like Virginia has a notably higher preponderance of vanity plates, at least in the DC area, relative to other parts of the country.  Are VA vanity plates very cheap and easy to obtain, or is it a demographic thing, lots of people with big egos running around down there?

Nothing is cheap down here. I suspect egos are no different here than in New England or the midwest - just more of them in a smaller area.
We had a 65 Corvair  95 HP two door hardtop when I was a senior in high school, until it suffered a severe case of understeer vs. the dreaded Corvair oversteer on flash frozen glare ice on a curve and I buried it into a telephone pole all the way up to the front wheels. Was only going about 25 MPH.

I had a '66 Corsa with the 4 carb set up. Never had steering issues, but the belt used to jump off the guide pulleys now and then. Ended up blowing the engine while racing a Riviera on I-89 one day. At least I was a couple miles ahead when it let go.

Some states have/had a one time fee for vanity plates related to public service, military, etc, then just a regular renewal fee each time. That probably changes when the 'tax & spend' minded politicians get into power and see an easy source of quick money.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 12:05:44 PM »

I used to be a Heathkit fan -

* tr-heathkit.jpg (70.88 KB, 665x439 - viewed 270 times.)

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 02:12:39 PM »

I used to be a Heathkit fan -

Wow !  8 letters - isn't THAT a luxury  Wink   Nice plate !

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015