The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:15:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity License Plates  (Read 9824 times)
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« on: November 29, 2018, 07:25:42 AM »

This topic may have already been covered. What vanity license plates do you have? My car has a plate that says, “MOSFETS” (not copying Steve).

I also keep the Massachusetts plates that I drove down here with, hanging up on my desk at work as a reminder of reality.

Jon

* 2DEEE1D0-8802-4D78-A7A4-B156AA9D43E4.jpeg (2558.68 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 317 times.)

It’s not just values, it’s business.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:18:38 PM »

I have wanted such plates but to me they can attract the eyeballs of thieves, so I don't get the plates.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »

Ah yes, ham plates.  

Many of the NE guys had them.  But after a while it felt like,  "Yo junkies!  I'm a ham! Got an expensive radio in here! Break my window and rip me off!"    Grin

They are VERY rare on the road these days, especially with the high vanity fees of today.

T

* K1JJ - 4X1 linear project rig.jpg (80.12 KB, 800x600 - viewed 301 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »

Vanity plates as far as hams are concerned probably won't mean much to the average motorist, but Tom is correct, they could draw a thief. Most likely the thief would be of the ham community! Yes there are thief's among us and that is unfortunate! I have heard of people stealing stuff at ham fests and perhaps they were just opportunists from outside but the probability is, that its an inside job  Embarrassed Embarrassed  

In my travels I once saw a ham vanity plate in the parking lot of a Gentleman's Club and I thought to myself, maybe I should go in there and see who the pervert is Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I could have tapped out on the bar in Morse code, I know your in here  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

da dit da

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »

I have MOSFET on one car, and MESSY on my other car :-)

I tried to get HEAP  or HIKER, but both are taken.

CLASSE is available, but I didn't want to convey the wrong impression (like, I think I'm classy - HA HA HA !  NOT!!).

MESSY is an accurate description.

We are only permitted 6 characters here is Mass.

Here's another one:

And anyone who knows HTTP (the web protocol), will recognize this error.  An HTTP 404 typically means "not found".

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
ka1tdq

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »

Ham plates in Arizona have 6 letters, but regular plates have 7. I wanted the “S” so I went with a regular plate. A ham plate might make more sense as people probably won’t get it otherwise.

* ECA68E15-F52A-4B4F-8966-0798CAFC32A0.jpeg (584.26 KB, 1200x1800 - viewed 246 times.)

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »

And anyone who knows HTTP (the web protocol), will recognize this error.  An HTTP 404 typically means "not found".

Here is the road on which he SHOULD have been driving.......

* RoadNotFound.png (97.09 KB, 500x397 - viewed 289 times.)

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
ka1tdq

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »

Geeks rule

* A02524F2-053C-4CF1-85B0-2E03022B5F68.jpeg (2863.3 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 233 times.)

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »

In CT, ham plates were $10. Today $45.  I ditched mine when the CT money extortionists wanted more for them.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »

In CT, ham plates were $10. Today $45.  I ditched mine when the CT money extortionists wanted more for them.

In Georgia, Amateur plates used to cost a one-time fee of $25.00.

Now the one-time fee is $45.00, and an annual fee of $25.00 in addition to the normal registration and tax costs.

In addition to the theft risk previously discussed, there are also the identity and road rage issues in high-traffic areas.  If people do not like the fact that you signaled and merged into "their" lane, it makes it very easy for them to track you down.  I prefer to keep an anonymous low profile, except when turning up the wick.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 06:11:44 PM »

Am I strapping this guy?

* 450 SL-Strap.jpg (312.13 KB, 1280x768 - viewed 345 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
KL7OF

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 07:55:49 PM »

The State Of Alaska will provide registration and ham call plates to any licensed ham resident that has a working 5 band HF rig in the vehicle for no cost...
ka1tdq

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 07:17:48 AM »

Anyway, there's a hamfest in Mesa tomorrow.  My wife will be selling my junk while I aimlessly wander around looking for parts.  We do this arrangement every time.  Come one, come all!

Jon

**Stupid spell correct!  It corrected "hamfest" to "hamlet".  I guess there are hamlets in Mesa... must be like little ham turds or something.

K3ZS

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »

I like mine so I remember it when checking into a hotel when they want your tag number.  No mobile equipment in my car to steal.  No extra annual fees in PA.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 09:39:27 AM »

$10 annual in Ohio with proof. I gotta take a copy of my license in every year.

You'd think they'd scan it and keep it in the database. But NOOOOOOO!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »

For whomever cares.............

Here  in NY SSR, the tags age classified under Emergency Services.

Initial (assigned) $35.00
Annual renewal (assigned) $6.25

•Copy of license issued by FCC
•Current registration must be in the name of the emergency services member

The required info and $$ must be mailed in. No online or walk into a DMV Office.

For most other tags,

Passenger and Commercial Plates:
Initial Cost = $60.00
Annual Fee = $31.25

klc

What? Me worry?
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »

I wish Connecticut would drop the “lightning bolt” symbol from amateur call sign plates.  Looks goofy, especially in a 2x1 call sign plate like mine. 

It might be useful in faking out toll by camera scanners, reading my plate as AJ11G vice AJ1G, I have had people log it as such by hand on such things as temporary parking passes issued by guards/parking attendants.

My one experience so far with toll by camera on the Mass Pike apparently did correctly read the plate though.

Connecticut apparently does not require proof of amateur liscense on renewals of ham call sign plates.  A friend’s mother’s car still had plates with her late husband’s call sign probably 20 years after he had gone SK!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 10:20:38 PM »

In TX are free along with many others.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 08:07:15 AM »

In TX are free along with many others.

Plus you can have up to three sets for three different vehicles. 
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »

In Minnesota we can have two.

My truck is N0WEK and the car is N0WEK-1.

People seem to think it's scandinavian and try to pronounce it.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
ka1tdq

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »

That's funny!  Someone in Maine should get one that says A1YUH and have people pronounce that.

And I checked.  The callsign is available. Although maybe it's better that nobody gets it.  The responsibility behind that call is immense! 

Jon

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »

In Minnesota we can have two.

My truck is N0WEK and the car is N0WEK-1.

People seem to think it's scandinavian and try to pronounce it.

The Texas thing is all three have just the call, no added suffix.  I had two on cars in Texas and moved to Wyoming.  The same plate on two different cars drove the clerk in the registration office over the edge.  It took three hours to get new plates in Wyoming and left her shaking her head.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2018, 08:44:05 PM »

It took three hours to get new plates in Wyoming and left her shaking her head.

Well at least you weren’t asked to produce a passport from the foreign country of New Mexico, like someone from there was recently asked in Washington DC when applying for a marriage license!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »

It took three hours to get new plates in Wyoming and left her shaking her head.

Well at least you weren’t asked to produce a passport from the foreign country of New Mexico, like someone from there was recently asked in Washington DC when applying for a marriage license!

Some parts of New Mexico is almost like living in a foreign country.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2018, 11:35:01 AM »

I got my NJ plates “WA2SQQ” when I got my license in 1971, I think they were $10. Still have my original embossed metal plates. When we changed to blue color I requested a new set, $3. NJ has since switched back to “straw” color,though now made of some vinyl material. I still use my blue metal plates. No yearly fee, and never had any theft. I have been stopped twice asking why I have “QQ” (antique vehicle) license plates. So now I have to explain the difference to the police officer?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015