The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:45:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my new DDS vfo  (Read 3905 times)
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« on: November 26, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »

For my Phillips AM transmitter SFZ 395, I had a tube VFO, but unfortunately, the customs did find it interesting and stole it. So I had to build an other one this time around one of those cheap Chinese DDS vfo's
As an amplifier I did build the general purpose RF amp that I did post a while ago, but a little more power full with a BFQ43 in the final. There are 2 switched resonance circuits to transform the voltage to approx. 80 - 100 Vpp. open circuit. That should be enough to drive most tube transmitters. Beside transforming the voltage, the resonance circuits clean up the signal and attenuate birdies.
One resonance  circuit does 1,8 - 7.5 MHz, the other one 7 - 30 MHz. The tuning cap is a foil cap for transistor MW radios, 2 x 300 pF with the sections parallel
Still to do is adding the band switch to switch the resonance circuits and add a relay to switch the power to the amplifier on when transmitting and make a cover for the VFO

* vfo1.JPG (593.41 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 326 times.)

* vfo2.JPG (763.57 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 445 times.)
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:06:49 PM »

Well, now THAT'S ham radio! Finding a way to do something when the odds are against you.

Your construction method is a fine example of simplicity. The fact that you overcame adversity to build it, an fine example of a man with great determination. Well done.

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
PA0NVD

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »

Thanks for the flowers..
Just enjoy designing and making things
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 01:09:12 PM »

Very nice, Nico!

I like your tuned circuits. They do help.

Great minds think alike....  Funny coincidence, but I built one up too, about 3 years ago. I use 11N90s as the finals to give me 40 watts or so to drive my 4-1000A class C plate modulated rig.   I use it on 160-40M as a power VFO.  I found the DDS signal got cleaned up a lot once it went thru the 4X1 tuned grid circuit.

I like the DDS accuracy and stability, broadband, no tuning -  and once amplified, for the price, ya can't go wrong.

T

* DSCF0001.JPG (325.4 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 343 times.)

* DSCF0004.JPG (327.26 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 323 times.)

* DSCF0002.JPG (326.17 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 338 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
PA0NVD

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »

Indeed Tom, you are right. For that price you can't go wrong
I have a question, When receiving, I switch the amp after the VFO off. But I am worried a little that the VFO signal still can be heard at the receiver. How is your experience in that aspect?
Regards
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 01:42:17 PM »

Nico,

Yes, there is a small DDS residual signal as is.  I see I had the same problem and put a relay in the RF output. I think by disconnecting the output helps a lot - and maybe experiment with a 0.1 across the DDS output to ground would help, I dunno.   In the end, tight shielding may be the only effective solution.

The designer should have included a mute input. Turning the power amp vcc on and off is no solution.  

Also, I'll bet if you knew which lead in the DDS to key/bypass, it could be muted, but it would be easy to blow it up experimenting... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 03:16:50 PM »

Nice VFO Nico,

Here is another amplifier that could have many uses such as a VFO amplifier:

https://qrp-labs.com/linear.html

26 DB gain, 10 watts, all for $26.00 in Kit form.

Jim
Wd5JKO
PA0NVD

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »

That's a cute little amp Jim. Thanks for the info. But I find more pleasure in designing and building, and I had everything laying around, so it did cost nothing. In addition, when I have it imported into Costa Rica, it will cost me at least twice as much. I did request Fedex and DHL to sent a second hand bread maker of 30 $ from the USA  to Costa Rica. They did calculate 280 $ for the transport  Huh So, no-go
PA0NVD

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 05:52:54 PM »

Ok Tom, thanks for the info.
Lets start with the tight shielding and switching the amp off.  Shielding is easy, the case is PCB material.
If I still receive the VFO, I will look further for a solution using a relay that shorts the output via a cap or something like that
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »

If I still receive the VFO, I will look further for a solution using a relay that shorts the output via a cap or something like that
Maybe have a relay toggle a 'bit'. It will still oscillate, but on a different frequency.

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
PA0NVD

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »

I did measure, and sure enough there was quite some signal left when the amp had no power. I measured more than 200 mV.
So I did add a reed relay (low inductance) to short the VFO output via a 0.1 uF multi-layer ceramic cap. That lowered the voltage to 20 mV tt, not enough. The impedance at the vfo output seems to be quite low. So I did add an other reed relay to short the resonance circuit. Now I can't see any y RF anymore, in the uV range. So lets hope that the level is low enough.
Thanks for making me aware that indeed there was a problem.
PA0NVD

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »

I did measure the output impedance. The vfo generates 80 Vtt open and 70Vtt over a 10 kOhm load. Quite sufficient for most tube transmitters and a nice clean signal due to the resonance circuit at the output. Happy with the results Grin
PA0NVD

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 12:39:59 PM »

The schematic diagram attached

* vfo diagram.JPG (370.96 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 316 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015