Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/11/d132647312/htdocs/Amfone/mkportal/include/SMF/smf_out.php on line 47
Analog modulating a 1000 watt carrier class E rig

The AM Forum
September 19, 2019, 09:55:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Analog modulating a 1000 watt carrier class E rig  (Read 8311 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »

How did that happen? Hope it heals up well.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go sailing, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2019, 12:46:32 PM »

Ouchy.

Drill bit broke and went into the palm of my hand. Iím ok though. Itís the simple power supplies that get you.

Jon

Jon,

The same thing hapened to me in 1972.  I drilled a broken bit right into my left hand at the base of the thumb using a hand drill. Nasty ripped up flesh and required a lot of stitches in emergency. Still have scars.  It complements my deep scars on the other hand when I got belted with 800VDC the same year.

I've not made that mistake again since...  using a dull bit that required pushing so hard that the bit snapped. I didn't know drill bits could be sharpened back then. Since then I bought a drill bit sharpener called "Dr. Drill" and keep 'em sharp.

Are you left-handed?  

T

Frank / WA1GFZ says when he's working near high voltage, as a warning he sings this song by Jay and the Americans: "Come a little bit closer, you're my kind of man, so big and so strong, come a little bit closer, I'm all alone and the night is so long."
ka1tdq

Massachusetts Democrat

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2019, 03:34:32 PM »

Very similar situation here. I was pushing a dull drill bit hard with my hand 'out of the way.' It snapped, the broken bit still in the drill made a gash in my hand and the broken bit lodged itself inside my palm about 3/4" in a separate hole. There's the brief second after it's over and you look down at the damage with a drill bit sticking out of your hand and you wonder, "Did I just do that?"

It is healing up nicely with no stitches required. X-rays show no material still inside. And yes, I am left handed.

I got the transformer in for the power supply and now have all the parts. Hopefully I'll finish it soon.

Jon

Just follow the instructions, more or less.
http://www.ka1tdq.radio
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go sailing, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2019, 06:58:33 PM »

Wow, Jon, you are really lucky.

The broken sides of the bit are like a meat grinder. Could have torn up muscle, tendons, nerve pathways, veins, etc. Amazing you didn't need any stitches.

After all the many, many dangerous things I've done and risks I've taken, I am convinced we all have a guardian angel looking out for us. In your case he (she) wanted to teach you a good lesson and let you off hook easily.... :-)

These days I use a drill press, usually lock work down that can potentially spin, and use heavy leather welding gloves. I also have a bandsaw, lathe and other dangerous machines that can take fingers and hands clean off, so glad I learned early in life to think everything out carefully before jumping in.

I took a metal class in high school and noticed that the teacher was missing a finger from a router accident.  I think as hams we put much more emphasis on avoiding electric shock rather than machine accidents.  Young, new builders need to think about this more.

T

Frank / WA1GFZ says when he's working near high voltage, as a warning he sings this song by Jay and the Americans: "Come a little bit closer, you're my kind of man, so big and so strong, come a little bit closer, I'm all alone and the night is so long."
ka1tdq

Massachusetts Democrat

« Reply #79 on: Yesterday at 11:47:26 PM »

I have everything all mounted. Now, just wiring it up.

Jon

* IMG_1581.jpg (4087.2 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 22 times.)

Just follow the instructions, more or less.
http://www.ka1tdq.radio
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015