The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hidden Morse message in Hollywood  (Read 4266 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: November 11, 2018, 08:16:40 PM »

Interesting story about some hidden Morse messages in Hollywood
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/capitol-records-building-morse-code?utm_medium=atlas-page&utm_source=facebook.com
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 12:12:07 AM »

Pretty cool.  Some execs have a good sense of humor.

It usually amazes people when they find out you can copy CW. Way more "wow" than speaking a foreign language.  I remember during pilot training, my first lesson, the VOR was sending out:    ….  ..-.  _..     (HFD.. HFD)  meaning the Hartford VOR. I mentioned to my instructor that that must be the Hartford VOR we were hearing. He looked at me stunned and axed how could I possibly know that?  He said all students he's trained had to take the time to memorize the local VOR codes.

To CW guys, it's like the young kid who can copy 60 WPM RTTY in his head.

It's interesting how some movies that have Morse Code in the script are very accurate.  A few war movies are good.

Then there are some that are fakes and the operator is telling his superior what is being said at 90 WPM -  as the LID CW man sends garbage at 10 WPM.

And then there are the cowboy movies at the telegraph office that are almost always ridiculous.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 12:19:05 PM »

I was listening to my kids play video games yesterday.  My oldest made everyone 'SHADDUP, SHADDUP!' at one point.  He heard Morse code.....

Whatever it was playing out in CW, he found a hidden Easter egg in the game!  Call of Duty Zombies I believe it was.

Oddly, I've never been able to learn CW.  I never knew my son knew CW.  I've never exposed him to it...  He's also a kid that picks up musical instruments and  'can play them" never having seen them before.

So CW also extends to video games, too.

--Shane
KD6VXI
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 06:43:21 PM »

Excellent!

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »

Passed my Novice 5 WPM test in December 1982, I had a difficult time learning the code, going to a class given by a local radio club was a great help. I agree that some people have the "knack" and being musically inclined helps. I did work CW for awhile but got frustrated as few seemed to know what QRS meant, I was never able to get good enough to pass the dreaded 13 WPM. Surprisingly I do remember enough that I can copy if it is slow enough and repetitive like and airport beacon.

Last Winter I took a trip to Las Vegas and Arizona, one place I spent a day at was the Pima Air Museum near Tucson. I took a guided tour, they have a hanger full of WWII planes including a B-29 bomber. One the left front side of the bomber is  . . . _  by the bomb symbols for missions flown. The tour guide asked if anyone knew what the significance of the . . . _ ? I told him it was the letter V in Morse Code but I was unaware what that was to signify on this particular aircraft.

The tour guide was surprised and commented I was the first person to know in all the time he been giving tours to know what that . . . _ stood for. The significance is that this aircraft was present at the signing of the Peace Treaty in Tokyo Harbor ending the war with Japan.

You know you are a real Radio Nerd when......

* B-29-3 V.JPG (188.18 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 376 times.)
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 06:52:35 PM »

That's a new one, thanks for the info.

The Grant Building here in Pittsburgh has had a Morse beacon for a long while:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Building

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 08:21:13 AM »

Another computer game that has Morse code embedded (I have actually copied it) is Wolfenstein 3D.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
kg7bz
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »

Back in the early 1980's when I was working at KTAR AM/KBBC FM in Phoenix AZ, a friend was an engineer at KOOL TV channel 10. He showed me their new News Studio Backdrop which had a supposed nighttime mural of the Phoenix skyline. Tall buildings with lit windows. He pointed to a section of the windows, in Morse they spelled out an obscene phrase.

August KG7BZ
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 05:45:43 AM »

One of the more famous cases where Morse got the message through in a difficult situation:

https://youtu.be/rufnWLVQcKg

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »

Back in the early 90's when I was in high school, there was a computer game with a long morse code intro. It was possible to bypass, but my friend who owned the game wanted to know what it said. It was sent at an average speed and told the story of the game.  It was a fantasy role playing thing (I had cool friends).

He was awestruck. Half with my ability to copy and the other about he was finding out the secret message.

Drink your Ovaltine.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »

And now for something completely different.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20120829f.html

KLC

What? Me worry?
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 12:16:30 PM »

On the AMC series called Into the Badlands on the last episode of the second season I think it was, one of the characters, Baji, goes to a vintage but un recognizeable radio facility on a shore somewhere where he fires up the equipment and sends a message for help to someone unknown. The message is in Morse of course. I copied it and told the person that I was watching the show with what it said and it just blew her away. She got excited about learning Morse. Never did it though. So someone out there at AMC knows cw. Another  show is the post atomic war series Jericho. Great show, it seems to have been cut short though. Its probably from the 90's. The preamble of each episode contained a morse message. On both of these shows, they never reveal what the messages say. Interesting.
.......Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015