The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:58:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphones  (Read 19720 times)
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »

Mine arrived  a couple days ago.   Looks pretty good for thirty something bucks.   Haven't fired it up yet because I've got to come up with 48 Volts for the mic, and isolate the DC from the Mic amp.

Although I'm certainly impressed with the usual extremely detailed "installation instructions", I have to admit their English is much better than my Mandarin, or Cantonese, as the case may be.   

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
ka8gef
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »

I bought one a few years ago, ran it into a Behringer Xenyx 1280 (48 phantom power and audio tailoring), through an inline impedance transformer, into a DX-100.

Within 5 minutes, I forgot all about the pile of D-104 heads that I have, each one with a degraded crystal cartridge and no hope in sight...

ka8gef

W4EWH

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 07:43:46 PM »

... I forgot all about the pile of D-104 heads that I have, each one with a degraded crystal cartridge and no hope in sight...

ka8gef

Why no hope? Are there no replacements to be found?

Bill, who has a few D-104's himself

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 08:35:08 PM »

... I forgot all about the pile of D-104 heads that I have, each one with a degraded crystal cartridge and no hope in sight...

ka8gef

A major manufacturer of crystal elements in Japan was closed by the tsunami disaster.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W4EWH

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2019, 05:04:44 PM »

ka8gef

A major manufacturer of crystal elements in Japan was closed by the tsunami disaster.

Sorry to hear it. I know another ham who is looking for one: he says they're very popular with Blues harmonica players, but that he couldn't find any elements. He said he's going to try using a phonograph pickup with the diaphram glued to the needle, but I haven't heard if that did work.

This might be a chance for a cottage industry: does anyone on here know how to make these?

Bill, W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
WD4DMZ

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2019, 05:48:13 PM »

Kobitone used to make a hi-z crystal element. I used the one I had in my drawer to replace a bad D104 element on an amp stand and it works pretty well. It is a 25,000 ohm element and sounds similar to an original D104 I use regularly.  Also used one in an old hand mic to partner with my Collins KWM 2A and it works well.

When I went to the Mouser site to buy a few more they were gone. Too bad as they were very inexpensive. Kobitone must have been the last producer of hi-z crystal elements.

Rich
ka8gef
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »

I wish I could find a few (the Astatic crystal cartridge part number was  MC-320) that still deliver the response as designed. The rochelle salt crystal deteriorates and typically low end response disappears as a result. All of my crystal D-104 mic heads suffer from this.

The Kobitone does not come close to the performance of an Astatic MC-320. During the time it was available, it was the only choice as a replacement.

...regarding a properly functioning D-104 head/MC-320 element, of course you can take your chances with e-bay or the guy at the hamfest who claims 'it sounded fine the last time I used it'...no thanks.

I spent a reasonable amount of time going through the Astatic patent docs. Frankly, there is not enough information to warrant effective experimentation and results, without finding/employing someone who has significant expertise with the crystal development, shaping etc.

Still hoping...

ka8gef

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015