The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:40:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOWER SAFETY - Climbing with a fall-arrest cable system  (Read 2006 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: November 01, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »

Sad, but worth talking about to prevent more mishaps...  After reading about the tower accident and death of W0AIH, I figured it was time to make another post about installing a fall- arrest system on our towers.

There are many ways to die climbing. One is to fall, another is to have a heart attack due to over-exertion, another is to hang too long from a harness cutting off blood to leg arteries = stroke, heavy pipes or antennas or other things falling on us, etc.... and there are more ways to die up there. It really can be a dangerous job - even climbing a 30' tower!  This is about protecting for the FALL aspect of climbing.

I'd like to post the threads of past discussions  about installing a simple fall-arrest wire cable that attaches the length of the tower and addresses the falling danger aspect. It works by buckling a sliding device to the vertical cable that slides along as we climb. If the device senses a rapid increase in velocity (fall) it locks and we are safely stopped in mid air within the body harness.  The optional shock absorber on the halyard is a great option and you only need one on the harness.  (I use one here)  It unfolds in a controlled, softer manner in case of a fall. There is also a shock absorber for each tower cable if desired.

It is also important to discard the old fashioned waist harnesses and buy a nylon FULL-BODY harness to give the proper distributed support. Waist harnesses can kill by damaging internal organs during a fall due to the concentration of forces around the waist area..  Use a SHORT 5" diameter gorilla hook at the waist for fast clip-on.

About 15 years ago I installed a fall-arrest cable on each of the five towers and bought a full body harness. I use the SAME body harness and SAME fall arrest device on all towers.  Believe me, after climbing with this system I would NEVER consider free-climbing again.  You can install the whole system and body harness for under $500 if you fabricate your own cable and bracket system.

I just spent a day putting up the new BCB antenna wire  on two of my towers and climbing is as safe as you can get with this system.

Check it out:

http://www.westernsafety.com/products/msaroseproducts/msafallprotec10.html
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=36153.0
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=26962.0

Best,

Tom, K1JJ

* Body Harness.gif (16.94 KB, 148x215 - viewed 205 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1ITT

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 01:40:06 PM »

Amen to that, Tom.  A year or so ago, my Dear Sweetie bought me a FallTech full body harness for my birthday.  Apparently she has decided to keep me rather than hope for an insurance payout.  I have a Sala fall arrest slider.  It's basically a cam that rides along the full length cable on my tower, runs fairly smoothly in the "up" direction, but only allows me to fall 5 or 6 inches if things go awry.  On the way down the tower I simply nurse it along to keep tension off it and I can climb down OK.  Remember that these devices are specific to a certain cable diameter.  I bought stainless wire rope at McMaster.com for my system.  And don't scrimp on the clevises and turnbuckles.  All that stuff is in series, so you don't want a weak link.
I still do worldwide fieldwork, although I mostly let the younger fellows do the aerial act while I stay down on the ground with a network analyzer trying to act intelligent.  FallTech and Sala are among the gear that I see most, especially on the better crews. 
A couple years ago in India, I had a  local climber who insisted in free climbing wearing flipflops and no harness.  Because we supplied the harness, I had to make him try it on and adjust all the buckles, much to the hilarious amusement of the rest of the crew.  He stowed the harness back in the crate and continued free climbing.  There's only so much you can do to convince others.  About thirty years ago I fell 22 measured feet off a test tower and lived (obviously) to tell about it, but I don't think I have another such landing left in me.  As Ben Franklin said, "Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other."
Most of us are getting up there in dog years and aren't as frisky and athletic as we used to be.  A good  full body harness and arrest system is cheaper than a ride to the morgue.  And the view from the top of the tower is still worth the climb.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »

Very well said, Norm.

Wow, free-climbing with flip flops.  He has probably learned by now.  There's so many other ways to get injured and bleed without falling.  Back 10 years ago I had a 300 pound log periodic break its hoist rope and slide all the way to the ground on the tramline, just missing me on the tower. I have pictures of it stuck into the ground... posted here somewhere.  The rope was 5/8" but weather-beaten.  Cheap-skate using worn equipment.

Another time at the top of the 190'er I held a rope that I let uncoil and drop to the ground.  I held on and it slammed my hand into the tower. The ending shock of the rope's fall was severe. My hand bled and shook like in the movies. I still have a lump on my pinky finger.  There's a few more, but you get the idea. Sh*t happens.

The idea with the fall arrest system is developing a DISCIPLINE where you are NEVER unconnected.  No matter if you are working, climbing, decending OR like a friend of mine, passed out from heat exhaustion hanging on the side of the tower, you are safe from falling.   We tend to cut corners at times, but having a cable the length of the tower is easy discipline to stay with.  

The alternative is to climb with two lanyards, (rope/hooks)  but man, that gets tiresome quickly and my hands start to cramp up. That's when we say screw it - and free-climb 30' and get hurt.

Anyway, safety is about identifying your weak points and making rules and procedures to eliminate as many as you can. It simply brings the odds up for success.

I think as we get older, the health risks of climbing get higher - although the mind isn't as sharp and we tend to make more cognitive errors too.  Maybe a tower-elevator ride up is a good idea. Make an inexpensive one and the old hams will beat a path to your door!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015