The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:54:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit AT-1 Restoration  (Read 2327 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« on: October 23, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »

Back a couple years PP (Pre-Pacemaker), I saw some coils and switches from a Heathkit AT-1 XMTR for sale on EBag. Another ad showed the chassis, octal sockets and other salvage parts. I was interested in the coils and then got to thinking and bought both lots. Since then I've been scrounging the rest of the parts and found a front panel and cabinet. Thanks guys! I've kept a few original components like the postage stamp mica caps and the meter resistor but replaced almost everything with new stuff. I started cleaning off the octals but that's as far as I got when the Ticker blew a fuse. I have Cardiomyopathy with ATF. Finally in April, I had the Pacemaker implant. Been in recovery ever since. Now I've dug out the AT-1, have all the parts including a clean instruction / assembly manual and am ready to build! I considered getting the chassis replated, but the expense floored me. Settle down Pacemaker! I cleaned it up with Wright's Copper Cream and it looks fine. There was no power supply parts but I had a power XFMR that will work. It actually fits on the chassis without drilling any holes. The choke is a Utah NOS 15Hy @ 110 ma. I just added a fuse holder on the back a few minutes ago. After I clean up the front panel, I'll mount it later today and probably will start wiring tomorrow. I've attached a couple pix. Note all the parts in bags ready to go. I only built one Heathkit project...an AR-3 Receiver. Never could align that bugger. Should have some fun with this! Next project is get the cataracts fixed. Yes, I will probably build the recommended modulator and this will be a dandy exciter for that 813 rig in the works too. Wish me luck!

* AT1.JPG (774.12 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 272 times.)

* AT3.JPG (777.05 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 281 times.)

* AT1Kit2.JPG (777.59 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 284 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »

I have an AT-1 and its a fun little transmitter. 

Have fun building one back up from the chassis.  I am sure you will enjoy the experience. 

Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 03:39:43 AM »

It's nice to be able to start fresh like that and get the chassis completely sparkling again. I took a bottle of cleaner and the garden hose to my Elmac. My wife was skeptical, but I assured her that 1950's technology was pretty robust.

Reminds me a little of unbuilt Heathkit or Johnson kits that come up on eBay. They go for lots of money! You were able to do the next best thing for a lot less cash.

I doubt one exists, but it would be nice to find an unbuilt Valiant. That would go for a pretty penny and I'd be cursing the cash-infused retired guy who outbid me (probably by a factor of 10).

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
N3GTE

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 08:58:41 PM »

You might want to have a look @ 10/55 Qstreet good article in there on the AT-1. I sent you a copy via your email listed here on the forum.

GL w/ your new project!
Terry N3GTE
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 09:15:31 PM »

Sounds like a great little project!

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands