The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:16:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The AM Dinner at NEAR-Fest XXIV  (Read 3264 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: October 14, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »

This fall's AM Dinner at Johnson's was a great time for all who attended. And it was well-attended, somewhere around 28-30. This was considerably more than we had expected earlier in the day. In fact, the manager mentioned to me "looks like you got a few more than 15?". Yes, indeed.

As well as the usual suspects we were joined by old friend WX1O and his wife (whose call escapes me) before their trip to VA for the winter. We see Bruce at FrostFest in Richmond but it's been a loooooong time since he was in Deerfield. There were also a number of new AMers present who I never got the chance to meet or chat with. Perhaps Ross and some others can add names and calls.

To cap it all off, KW1I, W1NZR, W2ILA and several more of the military radio crowd joined us. As mentioned, there were many in attendance.

So many, in fact, that Johnson's did something unexpected for both them and us. Since we were there last October, they have built a huge banquet hall on the west end of the building. It is not quite finished, but close. Due to the size of our group, they chose to open the hall early to accommodate us. The contractor's blueprints and drawings were still stacked on counters at one end, while the remaining chairs and tables were still stacked and lined up in shrink wrap beyond where we were seated. Two waitresses were assigned to our group. They brought our drinks promptly, took our orders and had food on the table not long after the drinks, kept everything straight and did it all with a smile. Talk about service - it was the best! I cannot say enough good about Johnson's Steak and Seafood on Rte 4. We've been going there since NEAR-Fest started over 11 years ago and it has proved to be an excellent decision.

I would encourage those who were there to post any photos they took along with names and calls. Unfortunately most of my photos came out blurry but a few made it through okay. Group shots below.

* 244.jpg (1510 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 379 times.)

* 245.jpg (1465.09 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 330 times.)

* 243.jpg (985.98 KB, 2411x1808 - viewed 317 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »

A few more, including WX1O (not Santa Claus) in shot #1 and Howard/VE3AED with Mike/W1RC in shot #2.

Shot #3 includes Dale/KW1I on left followed by Eugene/W2HX (white hat) then Tom/W2ILA, ??. Lower right is John/W3JN, ??, Brown/W1NZR.

* 252.jpg (1237.06 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 305 times.)

* 251.jpg (1272.12 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 307 times.)

* 247.jpg (643.67 KB, 2175x1631 - viewed 278 times.)

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »

Last but not least, a somewhat blurry action shot of Brown/W1NZR offering a toast to the group.

The AM Dinner is always a great way to end Friday at NEAR-Fest. Looking forward to the next one!

* 253.jpg (1366.96 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 266 times.)

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:22:09 PM »

Glad to see they opened the new room for the gang.  That is the renovation they were doing in the Spring and were hesitant to take my reservations for the event this past Spring.  They did take the reservation and we did fine in the previous location in the restaurant.   I think the attendance number are growing with each new NEAR-Fest session.  I forget the numbers, but the AM dinner this past Spring, was very well attended as well.  Fantastic to see Dale and others attending. 

Joe-GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »

The best part going forward is that we will be dialed in for future events. That way when (not if) I can't attend, you, Joe/'PJP, or whomever else is handling it will just have to call and give them a close number. They were very good at adjusting upward for more folks this time, and it was basically their first run. I think they may have even called in an extra waitress as the rest of the place was packed and busy.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »

Before the next Spring event Todd, just give this "close number".  Sounds like they did very well with the crew this year and its good to know we are dialed in now!

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:04:38 PM »

Thanks very much for the pictures Todd!
Looks like a great turn out for the dinner!

73, Karl, KD3CN
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »

Hey there, Karl - didn't take a final count but it was somewhere around 30. Last head count was 28, then Howie and perhaps one or two more came in.

Been a while now - when will we see you and the little lady at NF again? You can regale us with stories of setting your feedline and/or aerial afire.  Grin

KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »

Hopefully soon buddy, I retired, but was then re-hired as a consultant.  Still, more flexibility now, so hopefully see you at a 2019 NF!

73, KD3CN  Karl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015