The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:01:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEAR-Fest XXIV Reports  (Read 2390 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: October 14, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »

Wanted to take a minute to throw out a posting on the latest installment of NEAR-Fest. Rode up with W3JN Thursday through, at times, blinding rain. Fortunately it stopped by the time we got the the fairgrounds a little before 6. Enjoyed a nice dinner followed by some planning for Friday, said hi to folks and called it a (long) day.

Friday started out chilly and overcast, but at least the rain had passed. After a fine breakfast at the Airport Diner we headed to the grounds to set up and prepare for the festivities. We ended up setting up away from our usual spot on the point of the AM Corral as it was underwater the night before and still partly flooded.

The rain held off and old Sol eventually showed his face, though the breeze was brisk at times. Sold a couple small items but was mainly occupied with transporting tickets and gate receipts. Even got to work the gate for a few so Patty could take a break. 'JN did quite well selling.

This fall's AM Dinner was amazing - more on that later. After the dinner we headed back to Manchester for a well-deserved night's sleep.

Morning brought more rain so we skipped returning to the 'fest as we both had commitments for Sunday. Johnny pointed the Suburban south into the rain and we headed back. I was home in VA by 5:30.

Despite the wx, Friday was a very good day - well attended with much gear sold by those attending. I was surprised at just how brisk the selling was, at least in the AM Corral area. Saw many old friends and had a great time overall.

Not many photos on this end. Hoping to hear and see more from others who attended.

* 237.jpg (1515.89 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 236 times.)

* 242.jpg (1911.76 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 271 times.)

* 246.jpg (1244 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 283 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:57:07 PM »

Friday was indeed a very nice day at Nearfest; arrived at 0600 while it was still pitch-dark - something like third in line at the gate - and watched the sky gradually lighten while the later comers piled in.  High, gray overcast, but not the kind that looked likely to sprinkle anyone, though it was wonderful to see the sun burst through around noon.  Came home with a wonderful SP-600 JX17 - one of the nicest looking I've seen - some assorted parts, and an old, grungy Clegg 99-er, which at this moment is down on the workbench "forming up" on the Variac.  It's pretty ugly, so it might wind up being a parts rig, but we'll see.  Scored a nice 5000 watt Variac, too.
   Planned to go Saturday, too, along with the wife, but every weather venue I looked at on Friday evening was predicting a wet Saturday morning, so we decided to sit this one out.  Saturday morning, a few text messages from a friend who did attend reassured me that I'd made the right decision; he gave up and bailed out at 0930 after walking around in the drizzle for a while.  My wife would have been miserable.  Now, looking forward to Nearfest in May.
    For anyone who lives around my area (connecticut), don't forget "Nutfest", coming up on Sunday the 21st.  Nice little show.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:27:51 PM »

Good to see you again Todd, sorry I missed the dinner, heard it was a good one.   I had to head home early Friday night due to other stuff going on this weekend for me. Heard Tim on 75 mobile last night describing all the stuff he was hauling home in the Crown Vic.  I imagine the Vic's rear bumper was probably dragging on the pavement all the way back to Maine.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »

WA1QHQ Mark and myself were sellers this session. We sell together about every 3rd Nearfester. Friday was blustery but no rain and we had a great turnout at the AM dinner! Sold the RBL and some assorted stuff and books. I never really walked around but somehow an old Heathkit Receiver and a Collins 18S-4 showed up in my car going home. I had the SP-400 blasting WA1QIX Lonely Guys on a sprinkly Saturday morning and the turnout was sparse and people packed up. Pretty good but the weather was a factor this time.

* Tim_Dale.jpg (2010.18 KB, 3626x2419 - viewed 268 times.)

* AppleCrisp.jpg (2054.27 KB, 3024x3437 - viewed 265 times.)

* Table.jpg (1690.28 KB, 3634x2283 - viewed 209 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »

More Pics.

* W1NZR_WU2D.jpg (1553.61 KB, 3299x2215 - viewed 236 times.)

* Eugene.jpg (419.99 KB, 1721x1167 - viewed 216 times.)

* Sunbathing Collins 18S-4.jpg (2877.07 KB, 2849x3426 - viewed 269 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »

Left my sister's house in Wareham, Ma at 5 AM Friday, the first hour was pretty foul, lots of heavy rain. Drove out of that once I was north of Boston. Good weather Friday compared to what it was in SE MA.

Showed up Saturday but between having a cold and the damp weather decided it was best to drive home.

A Good Time all in all, this was my 5th Fall NEARFEST
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »

Nice summary Todd.  We really missed attending, but fully expect to attend the 2019 Spring session.

Joe-GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015