The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:44:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Friend?  (Read 4226 times)
KC4VWU

« on: September 30, 2018, 02:50:18 AM »

Found this little one trapped on the swimming pool steps around 1 AM crying for help. I'm not typically a cat person, but have had them in the past. All 3 of my dogs were rescues in one form or another, and when faced with the thought of an animal's fate, just can't bear to turn them away. So I guess if this little girl remains unclaimed, she'll be a new member of the family! Sorry for the crappy pic, had to use my cellphone.

...Phil

* new friend.jpg (109.51 KB, 1080x1923 - viewed 425 times.)
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 05:16:17 AM »

Good for you.
W1ITT

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 08:15:49 AM »

I have had a couple of those slate-gray cats over the years  and they turned out to be smarter than the average bear and great family companions.  She's a keeper.
W1ITT

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 02:35:48 PM »

And by the way, in case the new critter hasn't got a name yet, Hiram Percy Maxim's xyl was Josephine.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »

what a cutie.  She adopted you, you know.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »

Phil,

You're a good man. Sometimes babies need rescuing.

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:28:14 PM »

Nice looking kitty! You could have a devoted pal for life there.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »

I've been a cat person for over 30 years. My latest, little Vinnie (age 5) put me in the hospital. Daughter brings home a dog. I am holding Vinnie when dog gets curious, and jumps at cat. Vinnie freaks, and bites the crap out of my hand and then jumps and runs away. I spend two days in hospital, with round the clock IV antibiotics, and then several weeks oral antibiotics afterward.

Cats can be wonderful pets, but if they get really mad, or startled, can really do us humans harm. I don't tease Vinnie like I used to.....

Jim
Wd5JKO

* Hand.jpg (122.15 KB, 1217x673 - viewed 220 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 12:22:59 PM »

I've been a cat person for over 30 years. My latest, little Vinnie (age 5) put me in the hospital. Daughter brings home a dog. I am holding Vinnie when dog gets curious, and jumps at cat. Vinnie freaks, and bites the crap out of my hand and then jumps and runs away. I spend two days in hospital, with round the clock IV antibiotics, and then several weeks oral antibiotics afterward.

Cats can be wonderful pets, but if they get really mad, or startled, can really do us humans harm. I don't tease Vinnie like I used to.....

Jim
Wd5JKO

Amazing coincidence, Jim -

Back in 1992, a new orange stray cat showed up at the door.   People always seemed to drop off cats at the dead end where we lived. We fed him a few days. I picked him up and carried him inside in my arms. Yaz (Springer Spaniel)  got curious and jumped up to give him a sniff.  The cat struggled to get away and bit me on the left hand - in the same place as you. I made the puncture wound bleed, cleaned it out and forgot about it. It was about 10PM. At 3AM I awoke with a terrible pain and my whole arm was swollen.

I went to emergency and ended up in the hospital for 7 days on IV.  Got very sick with fever for the first two days. Thank goodness for antibiotics. Before the ~1940s I would have probably lost my arm to amputation.

Some of us have brutal allergies to the bacteria on a cat's teeth!

Anyway, Morris lived to be at least 15 years old and was a good cat. Yaz and he became good buds.

Bottom line is I am now ultra careful around cats and will not make the same mistake again.  For some folks, (like you and me) the bacteria acts like the type found in those Komodo Dragon lizard's saliva -  where they bite a prey and wait a week for it to die a slow, painful death. Yikes.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 07:20:17 PM »

Jim
Wd5JKO

Cat was normal.
clearly this incident is the dog's fault. 100%.

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »

Yup, it was the dog's fault! Actually I wasn't thinking too clearly anticipating such a fiasco. After the cat jumped down, the dog went into pursuit, and fell down no less than 4 times! A big dog cannot make a tight radius direction change!  Cheesy

It is amazing to hear that Tom K1JJ had a similar experience.

As to the antibiotics, the days when we have readily available and effective antibiotics are rapidly coming to a close. In the future, a whole lot of folks will be succumbing from things like a simple animal bite, or even an infected ingrown hair on the chin.  Huh

Jim
Wd5JKO
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »

Cat bites are serious all right. well think of it as an inoculation! My pals get crazy sometimes but it's never from meanness they are only over-excited!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015