The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:04:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clegg Zeus tank circuit mod ???  (Read 3771 times)
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« on: February 19, 2021, 06:54:34 PM »

Something to jog someone’s memory

I read in Service Note #4-63A, there is a tank circuit mod that Clegg issued on their older models. What exactly was this mod ?

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 06:15:26 PM »

Wow, no one responded to this yet. Must be a pretty obscure mod of some sort.

I read in Service Note #4-63A, there is a tank circuit mod that Clegg issued on their older models. What exactly was this mod ?

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 06:36:25 PM »

Where is this "Service Note #4-63A" printed? Is there a problem with your tank circuit?

Going back to the 3H7 question that I asked in a earlier post - you say the sockets are missing but are the holes in the chassis for them there? You seem to imply that you thought there was a "newer" schematic to cover the fact that the 3H7's weren't there. I'm trying to determine if the cart came before or after the horse.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 07:58:57 PM »

The service Note was a sheet of paper in the back of the manual....It was on the topic of HIGH SWR that mentions destructive arcing under these conditions. They mention improper loading was the cause of this. The mod limits the destructiveness of this issue. I was wondering what the mod entailed in terms of parts.

Where is this "Service Note #4-63A" printed? Is there a problem with your tank circuit?

Going back to the 3H7 question that I asked in a earlier post - you say the sockets are missing but are the holes in the chassis for them there? You seem to imply that you thought there was a "newer" schematic to cover the fact that the 3H7's weren't there. I'm trying to determine if the cart came before or after the horse.

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »

The service Note was a sheet of paper in the back of the manual....It was on the topic of HIGH SWR that mentions destructive arcing under these conditions. They mention improper loading was the cause of this. The mod limits the destructiveness of this issue. I was wondering what the mod entailed in terms of parts.

I've never seen a reference to a Service Note #4-63A although the older mimeograph printed versions of the Zeus manual included a page 6A, "CAUTION - READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE OPERATING" that referenced several operators experiencing arcing in the final amplifier tank circuit due to inadequate loading of the final along with several operating suggestions (i.e. no hardware changes).
Note that the 6 meter final is a pi-network and the 2 meter final section is link coupled and also note both sections are always connected to each other no matter what band you are operating on. So, it would probably be wise, in order to prevent loading problems, to just connect one antenna at a time to the Zeus. My point being is that you want the final to see only one output load hanging on the tank circuit.

w6wuh

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 05:29:36 PM »

In the "Climaster" tank circuit  the 2m section is coupled to the antenna by a swinging link.
if you swing the link out of the center of the tank coil
then you HAVE removed the 2m antenna from the circuit.
No need to disconnect it.

---

Regarding the Ballast tube
You might want to take a look at my video of the Zeuss Power Supply Modulator
on You Tube...as this will give you a close look at the original wiring.
You can stop the video at any points you want to study anything of interest.

this video will also put you on the right track with regard to HOW to properly
prepare the ps/modulator for use  ( re-capping and more).

some one mentioned reforming the caps individually, and if you are going to re-cap
that is the right way to do it.   if in any doubt, use new caps under the chassis !

---

my manual appears to be a very nice ring bound copy
which I suspect came from peter markavage
the PS/Modulator diagram says  CL-10-258E   in the lower right corner
if this is different from what you have... I can have it scanned.

---

BTW  besides my overhauled Zeuss, Interceptor B and All Bander,
I have a second nice set, not overhauled ( rx and allbander work)  xmtr not checked
Both sets are available.

w6wuh
w6wuh

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 05:32:02 PM »

I meant to say :" if you are going to re-form (the caps)  ...

I might reform, but I will never repent.
hehe
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 12:36:28 AM »

In the "Climaster" tank circuit  the 2m section is coupled to the antenna by a swinging link.
if you swing the link out of the center of the tank coil
then you HAVE removed the 2m antenna from the circuit.
No need to disconnect it.
I didn't say to disconnect the link, I said disconnect the 2 meter antenna when operating 6 meters. The Load and Tune controls in the final compartment need to be adjusted when operating 6 meters unless you're referring to removing the Zeus(one S) from its cabinet, then removing the top from the final compartment, and manually moving the link out of the way.

my manual appears to be a very nice ring bound copy
which I suspect came from peter markavage
the PS/Modulator diagram says  CL-10-258E   in the lower right corner
if this is different from what you have... I can have it scanned.

I checked my database. The only order I have listed for you was made in 12/02 for $6.50 so your Zeus manual didn't come directly from me or it was ordered some time back in the 90's. I can't remember, since the Zeus folder is in the file room, if Ed Clegg provided any additional information on the Zeus from his files. I know he provided alignment and other service related info to me on the the Interceptors. Venus, Thor, 99'er, 22'ers, and 66'ers.

BTW  besides my overhauled Zeuss, Interceptor B and All Bander,
I have a second nice set, not overhauled ( rx and allbander work)  xmtr not checked
Both sets are available.

w6wuh

For the last several months for fun and giggles, I've been using my Clegg Interceptor B with the All Bander as my receiver of choice on 75 and 40 meters AM. The companion transmitter  is the Icom IC-756 PRO II driving a Heath SB-200. The combo has worked well. I think next up is to replace the Interceptor/ ALL Bander with the Squires Sanders SS-1R receiver and how that plays in the combo.

w6wuh

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 07:18:33 PM »

The Interceptor B is really an SSB receiver with good AM capabilities.. rather than the other way around.
It has the "collins"  heterodyne osc / mechanical filter archetecture and 120 db dynamic range...that is pretty hard to match no matter where you look.

The up-conversion from HF to 6 meters is the same system used by virutually all modern transceivers
Not too shabby for 1962.  Nor was the 2 db noise figure.

It is now my go-to rx for vintage ssb and am when using separate transmitters.

It is interesting to compare the First Interceptor with the B model which came out about a year later.
You can see them side by side on Youtube. I make a couple of narration mistakes, but still worthwhile.

w6wuh

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 07:32:05 PM »

pete,
             I know you said to disconnect the 2m ant.
             What I said.. is that is un-necessary.  It serves no purpose.

The ONLY connection to the 2m ant is Inductive.  The 2m loading control is just a shaft with a
pick up loop on the end. 

The whole point of Clegg' s brilliant  invention which he called the Climaster  tank circuit
is this clever combination of pi-net on 6m and link coupling on 2m.

I guess one could put a watt meter and dummy load on the 2m output connector
fire it up on 6m  into an antenna or another dummy load...and measure how much power
is present at the 2m side.. with the link swung all the way out of the tank coil.

the flaw in that method is a resistor dummy load has no Q...a tuned load such as an antenna
will allow less power through the loop than the dummy ... but still   

There are about as many flies on this design as there is on Collins gear.

The 2m pick up loop is missing from my xmtr.. or I would do this and report back.
and my second zeus is still "as found"

So, let me know..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015