The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:11:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AR88 RCA MOD  (Read 1894 times)
KB5MD
Contributing

« on: September 25, 2018, 07:22:58 PM »

A simple mod for the AR88 RCA receiver that will greatly improve BFO use for SSB reception is to remove the twisted wire gimmick on the bfo
and replace it with a 100pf cap.  Just thought I would pass this along for anyone using the great old boat anchor.
Joe Connor

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »

There's a good discussion of this issue in Henry Rogers' article on the AR-88 on the Radio Boulevard site. Just scroll down to Insufficient BFO Injection.

https://www.radioblvd.com/ar88.htm
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »

As a former AR88 owner I looked into this issue as well. One consequence of increasing the BFO injection is that the BFO oscillator will "pull" in the presence of a strong AM signal. This can be both good and bad. The good part is that on a strong AM signal with QSB, the BFO may "Lock" to the IF frequency of the desired signal carrier. I think this is a form of "exalted carrier" reception. Other situations such as on SSB, the VFO may pull at the syllabic rate of the TX operator. This can sound pretty weird.

A higher injection can be good. Perhaps a BFO buffer stage could be used to minimize "pulling"?

Jim
Wd5JKO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015