The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:29:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 years!  (Read 2926 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« on: September 09, 2018, 02:24:44 PM »

Clearing out a bunch of files this rainy weekend I came across the attached "document"!

Dated 4/28/68! The test was given to me by my Jr. High electrical shop teacher Mr. Franks N4INJ (sk) who, by the way, also sold me a transmitter for $10. Yes, it's the infamous Viking Bud!

Brings back memories.

* Novice CW Test.pdf (102.74 KB - downloaded 215 times.)
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »

That's awesome you still have that! Good penmanship too for copying CW!

I had my novice exam in an Italian restaurant in Baileyville, ME back in '89. In those days you just needed two hams to administer the exam. K1ZIL (SK, not the current owner of the call) sent 5 wpm code on my Heathkit practice oscillator and straight key. I thought we were just doing another practice session, but when we were done and he looked at my copy, he said that I had passed. He said that he didn't want to tell me that we were doing the test because he didn't want me to get nervous.

I was about to say, "Can you imagine an examiner today using a straight key to administer the CW portion of the exam?"  Then I remembered, there is no CW exam anymore...

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:16:27 AM »

2 more years for my 50th. Took my test in the basement of local PD, at the bimonthly CD (Civil Defense) meeting. W2MJD wa the guy who got me started.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »

I thought we were just doing another practice session, but when we were done and he looked at my copy, he said that I had passed. He said that he didn't want to tell me that we were doing the test because he didn't want me to get nervous.

My scoutmaster, K2EAW (SK) did the same thing to me. Told me I had passed and gave me the written to do next. Back in the day when a single General could do the test. Sometime in 1968 so I guess I'm 50 years now too. Wow how time flies. Still a great hobby. Working on passing it on by helping with classes with two local clubs.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
KC4VWU

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 07:37:25 PM »

Yep, they faked me out on my practice run too. I think a lot of them got a kick out of scaring the noobs a little bit!
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:43:43 PM »

Congratulations Buddly!  Here's to fifty more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015