The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:15:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC303 Issue  (Read 2204 times)
WD4DMZ

« on: July 15, 2018, 09:29:09 PM »

My NC303 suddenly lost the ability to hear CW and SSB. Still has good AM ability and nice audio. The S meter shows SSB signals being received but no audio.

I have checked all of the tubes and find them all good. Also, tried two other 6BE6 in the BFO/product detector circuit with no luck. The mode switch looks ok as well.

It appears the PD output no longer reaches the audio circuitry.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rich
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 11:59:21 PM »

Hi Rich,

That should be an easy problem to troubleshoot since you narrowed it down and it appears to be a broken path.

The S meter is probably measuring AGC in the I.F., so that area is working OK.  First inject an appropriate steady signal into the I.F. (or RF input)    Then use a scope to check the product detector input and output as well as the diode detector and BFO to be sure they are generating signals and mixing properly.  

If so, then it's just a matter of finding out why the path from the detectors to the audio input is broken.  Might be a bad connection, bad cap, etc.  Sometimes using a capacitor to jump across suspected open parts will find it quickly. Trace it out with a scope probe.

Let us know.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 06:58:33 AM »

First I'd check to see if the BFO is running, and on the right frequency, look at pin 2 of V8 with a X10 scope probe. It may pull the oscillator a few cycles but it should still sweep through the IF frequency when you rotate the CWO knob.   I would think it would either be "on" frequency, way off frequency, or not running.

Then make sure you have IF signal on pin 7 of V8.   If nothing on pin 7, look at pin 5 of V6 and see if the signal is there.

AVC/S meter signal is generated through a regular old 6al5 envelope detector.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
WA4WAX

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »

A good source.

http://wireless-girl.com/Projects/NationalNC303/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015