The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:45:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED lighting interference  (Read 1878 times)
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« on: July 03, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »

For our new house, we need lights, the round type that you can build in the ceiling. I bought a few from the biggest shop here in Costa Rica, Colono. But I am afraid that these lights don't comply any EMC norm  You can't put a radio within approx 100 meters around the light without an enormous interference. So I need other lights that do not interfere. I am afraid that this is becoming a general problem with all the China export.
The brand is General Lighting, no origin has been put at the product or box.
Someone knows a brand in the USA that does not give interference?
I urgently need lights for my new house.
Please help

* LED light.PNG (39.27 KB, 364x306 - viewed 174 times.)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:06:11 PM »

Contesting.com used to have a public rfi mailing list that people would put items that complied, and those that didn't, through the wringer.  I'm a member of the mailing list, but I notice ALL mailing lists on the website have been removed from the www page.  Mailing lists still work, though.

That being said, you want Cree.  They ain't cheap, in comparison.

I did a 100k dollar lighting retrofit that went all bad because of the same issue.  Done at a day care center. Everything looked good to the electricians, lights turned on and off.  Emergency retrofits turned on when breaker was killed.  Yes, guys, let's go home.

Nastygram at work the next day.  Seems the powers that be used a low power fm station somewhere to play classical music throughout the day, and the individual teachers just turned the fm radios on or off to listen or not.

Except all they had was white noise from DC to daylight.  Could not hear a single station anywhere on am or fm.

The main contractor paid us to put non em compliant fixtures in, then I told them what happened.  And they paid me to pull all of them out, and to put compliant fixtures in again.

I never worked for them again.....  But the kids had a good Xmas with that overtime!

--Shane
KD6VXI
PA0NVD

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 05:22:31 PM »

Thanks Shane. Really appreciate your help.
Cree is a brand that you can buy anywhere in the US? If I can't get it here in Costa Rica, I have to import.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »

Check out your local wallmart.

klc

What? Me worry?
PA0NVD

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »

Thats a good idea KLC, there is a Wallmarkt in Liberia
Does anybody know the EMC of the brand Hyperikon? seems USA and the claim that they are compliant. They are very much cheper than cree
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015