The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:36:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sub Minuature Tubes ?  (Read 4148 times)
wb1ead
Contributing

« on: June 25, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »

Hello all..time to get my mind off the tic tic occurring here..so I've come into a HUGE slug of these tubes in a flea market find..just about 100% Raytheon made..numbers like 5702 5787 5639 etc etc..actually there are 11 different numbers so far..I'm still cleaning them out of the cardboard box..they are brand new but in sealed envelopes..approx 30 plus..my question is what are they intended for?..where are or where were they used the most?..walkie talkies/oscilloscopes/armed forces..what?..are they still in demand?..I'm planning on selling the whole bunch as a lot for a fraction of retail here but if they're not worth it why bother?
                                    Thanks it wud be nice to know a little back ground on these  73 de DAVE
PS: if anyone needs these contact me via e-mail address from QRZ and you will get a bargain price! please put "tubes" as byline/title

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »

That are nice tubes, normal 6.3V filament, and also 90 Volts stabilizer tubes. They are used among others in the SSR13 receiver I think. Fun for home building and experimenting. Piece of PCB material and dead-bug a small receiver or transmitter.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 03:50:21 PM »

They were also used in WX balloons. I have a bunch of them and on my bucket list is a regen and an xmtr made with them

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
PA0NVD

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 04:14:50 PM »

the tubes in whether balloons are directly heated 1.3 V filament. These are indirect heated 6.3 V filaments.
PA0NVD

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 04:24:07 PM »

Hi Carl
I made a small AM walky talky with the 1,3V pencil tubes at the frequency of the B set of the WS19. It uses only 3 tubes, a superreg with a second tube for the quench oscillator and an AF tube, used for RX audio and for the modulator. Works nice, but I did not try the distance yet. Needs 1.5 VDC and 56 VDC
Really fun these small tubes. They are also used in the PRC6
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »

Tnx Nico and Carl for enlightening me..I figure based on the other "trinkets" in the box..microwave RF attenuators and IC chips that this might be a "clean-out" of obsolete stuff from say the Portsmouth Naval shipyard or similar..there are approx 30 of these guys..another bunch of 9 have nasty nasty 40yr old masking tape residue..the numbers are readable on those but I'll include them for free when I post them for sale..on a gud note the "regular' 30 plus 7/9 pin jobbys are 100% OK..my ol' Sylvania 220 WILL test these sub minuatures but there are no settings for them..maybe Nico cud on his very very nice HB tube tester..agn tnx!  73 de DAVE

PA0NVD

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »

you can find the data on Radiomuseum.org Dave
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »

Agn Tnx for info..Nico there is actually a better more easily available site that gives all data on all subs..some history/background too..here's the page  home.netcom.com/~wa2ise/ my RCA/Sylvania/GE/ reference tube books give some data but I wud need a Raytheon book for here at the bench...BTW there are lots of folks selling them on E Bay but at "all over the place" pricing..so it seems they are still in demand for some..one of the uses/application way back were for hearing aids..combined with the batteries musta been like carrying a transistor radio in ur pocket!..THANK YOU ALL 73 de DAVE

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 11:21:02 AM »

Pix of the pile?? Cheesy

And is that 30 tubes total or ~30 tubes per type??

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
VE3ELQ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »

one of the uses/application way back were for hearing aids..combined with the batteries musta been like carrying a transistor radio in ur pocket!..THANK YOU ALL 73 de DAVE
Brings back fond memories from the late 50s early 60s when as a boy I built some single channel Radio Control super-regen receivers using the 1AG4 or the 6007 by Philips in the front end.  This was followed by 2 audio stages using 2N217 germanium transistors that could barely do audio freqs let alone any IF freq.  Broad as a barn on the 27mhz CB band they worked quite well until any nearby CBer brought up a carrier anywhere in the band resulting in a fly-away or crash. I came up with a superhet design using two 1AG4s as oscillator and mixer/detector then some audio stages as it was tone modulated, which worked much better.  Power was a 1.5V A cell and a 22.5V B battery from a hearing aid. We salvaged the tubes from radiosonde transmitters from a surplus store. Then in later years when transistors got much faster the cute little tubes got left behind.
73s  Nigel

A "Tube Free" zone.
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 03:09:23 PM »

Bear if I knew how to run a digital camera I wud be dangerous..LOL..total?..well I decided to hold on to 7 of them more as a backup in case the "gang" here need one..that leaves 23 clean and unused plus 9 more totally gummed up from the decades old masking tape but still never used..if you tried to remove the gumminess the id numbers wud most likely dissapear..
Nigel interesting story and ya know there are probably a lot of ops here that at one time used these..the only thing I have not found is a chart showing what conventional tubes they may have replaced..like for a 5751 regular 9 pin tube it wud be a 12AX7A..that info was not found yet..if anyone has that if it exists then that info wud be appreciated for the 7 I'm holding....tnx!  73 de DAVE

PA0NVD

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »

the 12AX7 is the predecessor of the 5751, they are quite similar.
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 03:17:22 PM »

Hello all..thought I'd wrap up my post on these sub-minis..maybe to clarify a couple things earlier..and ask one more question..I have indeed found some limited info on what std tubes these might have been similar to..and I now have testing info for my Sylvania 220..the sockets were there but only a couple of minis on the roll charts..it should be possible to figure out the test switches based on the info received..the bulk of them are going to be sent on their way to No Carolina tomorrow..tnx to John who I feel got a heck of a bargain..there is only one nagging question in regards to these sub-minis..in the tube manual (GE) they show a diagram of the bottom of the tube where the pins come out..on this diagram there is a dot shown on the right hand side bottom..all of the tubes have this dot..I'm wondering how they wud be placed in the tester?..talking 'bout the ones with the horizontal row of pins..not the round base ones..this cud be a tuff or easy answer and might require knowledge of the Sylvania tester and how they placed the sockets on the front panel..maybe it ain't that tuff to figure out??    thanks!  73 de DAVE

PA0NVD

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »

On all these tubes, the dot is the anode. Also for the 1.2VDC filament types. See radiomusem .org for info
PA0NVD

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »

something went wrong with the attachement

* 5702.PNG (6.48 KB, 185x125 - viewed 147 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015