The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:29:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad dog story  (Read 9800 times)
KA1ZGC
« on: April 01, 2005, 12:19:21 AM »

Sorry, guys... I wasn't going to do this, but I just got done spilling my guts to Tim and Marcie, and the question "how ya doin'" is going to come up. At some point, I'm going to wind up blathering this out on the air anyway, so you guys might as well catch it now before the 807s take me over at the mic.

We were talking about dogs and muscle cars in the very first days of the board, so please excuse this one for being decidedly non-radio.

Please don't pull this one, guys. I just need to get this off my chest. The subject line is fair warning.

Back in '94, after serious deliberation, my folks picked up a black Doberman Pinscher from the New Hampshire Doberman Rescue League. The serious deliberation was necessary because we had previously had a red Dobie (also from the NHDRL, they're good people helping good dogs) that we missed dearly and didn't want to relive the separation.

You can see where this is going. If you hit the "back" button now, I won't hold it against you.

I was moving out, and my dad was (actually still is) working several hours' drive away from the house. None of us felt comfortable leaving my mom alone, so my folks eventually agreed on another Dobie.

Let's dispell one myth right here and now: a Doberman Pinscher that wasn't brought up to be viscious (by these confederate dickheads that fed them gunpowder and beat on their cages while they tried to sleep) is one of the best friends and best protection any family could ask for, no matter how young the kids are.

So my folks drove to New Hampshire and picked up Keegan from the kennels of the NHDRL. He laid his head on my niece's lap and slept most of the way to his new home.

Due to their undeserved infamy, the Doberman breeding stock here in the states has become rather thin. The result is some pretty dopey Dobies. It's not their fault, just the facts of life.

After bringing him home, we always wondered how effective he would be as a guard dog, which was the main reason we brought him home. Very excitable, and never too far from a human, it was tough to tell. A former friend of mine summed him up best with the quote: "I don't know what the f*ck is going on, but let's get it over with right now".

That question was soon answered one night when I came home, good and drunk, with a buddy of mine, around 2:30 in the morning. Just as the door was closing, my buddy said something to me. I hadn't said a word yet. The next thing I knew, there was the sound of a dog working his way from a yawn to a snarl as he tore ass across the house to the door we came in, nothing but teeth, muscle and foam; making it quite clear exactly what he thought of strangers' voices in his house waking him up at 2:30 in the morning.

I was scared of my own dog.

I said his name several times as I flipped on the light. He stopped snapping when he heard me, squinted and sniffed around, recognized me, and immediately backed down. After a few seconds telling him that my buddy was okay to be there, he put the top of his head to my leg looking to get his neck scratched.

At that moment, I knew that this dog would put his life directly in harm's way for my family without so much as thinking about it, and never even scratch any of us. You can't buy that kind of loyalty from most human beings. Ever since, he and I have had an inseperable bond, even in spite of the couple of hundred miles that have seperated us for the last few years. He's a large portion of the reason I've been going back to Maine on the weekends. I didn't want him missing me, and I had to know his final moments would be as comfortable as one can make them.

Not what I wanted, but the way I wanted it: Keegan's journey ended Tuesday night in my arms.

Sorry, guys, I'm not looking to bring the house down, but I thought I should warn you what the response would be when you ask how I'm doing this weekend.

--Thom
Not up to the phoney phonetics right now.
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 12:11:04 PM »

Thom,
I am so sorry.  I'm a huge dog lover and no stranger to the experience you've described.  It's not an easy decision nor an easy thing to do, but your old pal died with you there with him.  I don't know what comes after death, but I hope that somehow I'll be reunited with my old four-legged pals and my hope for you is the same.

Dobes get a really unfair rap.  We have a very good friend who's raised, showed, bred and trained Dobes for years, as well as being active in Doberman rescue.   We've spent a lot of time around Dobies in the show ring, in the agility and obedience rings and just hanging out in their homes.  They're marvelously affectionate dogs and wonderful  companions.   I think they often have a sense of fun, too that makes them all the more endearing.

When our dogs leave, there's a hell of a hole in our lives and a lot of pawprints on our hearts.   Keegan sounds like he was a wonderful gift and you were brave and kind to help him in his last mile.

My sincerest condolences, Thom.    

Paul K2ORC

Go Duke![/b]
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »

Ya Thom,
What Paul said !!

We picked up a smoothed haired collie the year we gat married. Nikki was a great friend. Super good with kids and very joyful ! At 18 years old we had to have her put down because of many ailments. I'm very glad the vet let me hold her as the shots were given and the end finally came. My heart broke and I weeped like a kid.

Time heals man! Fortunatly, memories last forever !!!!

All my best,
Buddly
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 01:50:46 PM »

Thom, my sympathies.

Never had a dog until recently, and if something happened to my best bud here I know I'd be devastated.

When I was posted to Cuba, our house had a deck on the second story.  One night I was out on the deck enjoying a Cohiba with the dog and he saw some other dogs in the park next door.  He started running with them and jumped off the damn balcony, falling about 18 feet.  I heard a godawful bellering from down there and thought he'd become a silent key sure as hell.

Thankfully, he had nothing broken, and the vet came at 11PM (and charged only $10!)... poor dog didn't move for 2 days but he recovered FB with the vet coming over twice a day for a week.  I was absolutely shot - I took a few days off work, nursing the knucklehead back to health.  My wife almost regrets getting the dog because she knows how bad it'll be once he's gone.  Worth it, though, IMHO.

I don't need to say how great it is to have that unconditional love... he's always happy to see me, he never yells at me, and doesn't care how many radios I drag home from the hamfest.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 01:54:21 PM »

Hi Thom.  Im sorry about you loss. Pets are as much as the family(even more) as humans and when they go it hurts just as much. Your dog was a loyal friend. I dont have dogs but when our kitty cat died last Christmas,my son who was very attached to her cried for days. We made sort of a memorial for her grave in the yard. Im sure you will do the same for Keegan. 73 OM and hang in there. Ed HVS

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
KA1ZGC
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 02:46:17 PM »

Paul, Buddly, John, Ed, Bob, all you guys, thanks very much for the kind words. You're good pals to have at a time like this.

It's a painful thing to have to do, but it would have been more painful if we had waited too long. Rush, our red Dobie we had during the 80s, was very sick for days before we laid him down. In retrospect, we all wished we had done it sooner, and did not want to repeat that scenario with Keegan.

I wasn't there when Rush went, my mom had to do that one on her own. She was too choked up to stay for Keegan, and I don't blame her. My dad and I stayed with him.

Time healed the wounds of losing Rush, and they'll do the same for Keegan. Having the support of a lot of friends helps a lot, and I appreciate it.

Thanks, guys. I'll catch you on the air this weekend.

--Thom
Kilimunjaro Africa One Zulu Goat Cheese
Paul, KB1IAW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »

So sorry, Thom. I have a 13 year old collie who has been my almost constant companion since we got him from the Collie Rescue League of New England 6 years ago. He's a really sweet, gentle old guy. This past winter he has had a rough time with all the ice and deep snow and now he's begining to have trouble getting up. I'm really dreading the day when I have to make the decision you just had to make.

Paul
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 04:04:21 PM »

Thom,
        I understand how you feel and many sympathies to you. In some ways, canine and feline bonds are stronger than human bonds (and much better too). They love you for who you are and not what you can be. Additionally, they won't try to pull one over on you (with one exception - FOOD!)

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
kc2ifr
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 04:23:58 PM »

Thom,
Understand fully........your story brought a tear to my eye.
Bill
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 05:52:20 PM »

Thom,
Our dobie 'Sandy'  came from an animal shellter and had been  starved. You woud never expect a dog treated like that would be so gentle and happy.  Theyre wonderful affectionate dogs and I can feel for your loss....  he was lucky to have an owner who cares so much to do the right thing.
                                      Ian VK3KRI
W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 06:02:46 PM »

Having lost dear good canine friends I really sympathize and share your loss.... the bonds are so strong, and the language between us'n and our animals so real, that people don't know what they're talking about when they don't understand. Just read "When Elephants Weep" (a great book) - those four legged friends are a lot wiser than we are, nost of the time...

Condoleances and regards.....
Al W1UX

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 06:14:32 PM »

Where ever dogs go when they leave us...I hope Keegan runs into Bitsy and Bell. Sounds like they would have been good friends. I enjoyed the same type of loyalty and friendship from both of my girls.

Bill KA8WTK
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 06:56:50 PM »

So sorry to hear that, Thom.

Yep, losing an old dog is perhaps the worst emotional experience anyone can go through. Maybe the worst for some of us.  

They're much like people, these dogs.  And they are, really.

When Yaz the 1st went in 1988, and Yaz II recently in 2003, it was more devistating to me than losing my father. Hard to believe, but that's the way it is with most people.

The only solution is to eventually get another dog. Yaz III is now 1.5 years old and it's just like being with the other good guys again. But, they all have different personalities - never the same.

I find it hard to imagine life without a good dog ... The time without them is the pits.

Maybe after some time you might take a look at the shelters again, Thom.  Perhaps your family would like another and you could eventually take him in for yourself.

Take care and you know we know what you're going through there. OM.

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 07:04:12 PM »

Thom

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I too have lost wonderful, loved pets... and I understand how you feel.

Again, my sincere sympathies.

Stu
AB2EZ

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015