The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:07:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help recording and making screen shots from SDR Play  (Read 3254 times)
KL7OF

« on: May 13, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »

I have a neighbor about 800 ft away that is putting in a solar array. I want to start taking some screen shots and if possible some recordings and save them as files before the array goes into operation.   I have the SDR Play and using the SDR uno software..  Windoze 7 machine. I read the SDR UNO COOKBOOK and it looks like the software will only allow recordings of a specific frequency and I see no provision for a screen shot..  What do I need to do to accomplish my goals?  Thanks..Steve KL7OF
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »

I use the windows "snipping tool", I believe it comes with the window accessories as a standard feature on windows 7.

It will allow you to crop a part or all of your screen, then save as jpg, gif, png, etc.   I will attach a sample I just took of your post.....

Hope this is helpful to you.

* kl7of.JPG (85.8 KB, 1364x421 - viewed 244 times.)

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »

comes also with windows 8 and 10
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 07:20:05 PM »

comes also with windows 8 and 10

Thanks, I couldn't remember.  It is a free download to add to Windows 7.  It's best to make sure you get it from the official MS site.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
kg7bz
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »

All the way back to at least Windows XP, just hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard. This copies the screen to the clipboard. Then open your favorite paint program and "Paste" into a blank. Then crop as you like and save as whatever file you want.
KL7OF

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions...I wound up using the "snipping tool" as I couldn't get much action out of the computer using the print screen key...I saved 5 or 6 screen shots from different bands and the AM BC band...I was able to burn them to disc as well..I will try to get some evening shots tomorrow and again in a few days...lets see if I can post my 40M shot...The shot was taken this afternoon with a 40M 3 element wire beam pointed at the 4 corners of the SW.
Not many qsos on the band but the noise floor is very low..This is a very quiet location ..

* 40M 5-14-18.PNG (651.84 KB, 1245x707 - viewed 237 times.)
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 12:43:16 PM »

Look at this stuff on rfi tracking with an SDR. I use a free program called Greenshot for home and work stuff to do screen captures. Lots of options.

https://www.nk7z.net/rfi-snapshots/

......Larry
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »

Steve,

The free Open Broadcaster Software package does a great job with SDRuno if you want to add video/audio screen capture to your collection of RFI tools. It makes HD quality recordings in MP4 format which would allow you to click through each band of interest and capture the panadapter baseline and the audio of every band in an all in one recording. I have been using OBS for all of my YouTube SDR capture videos since the beginning of 2017.

https://obsproject.com/

Also, the SDRuno built-in I/Q recorder does a great job of archiving video/audio on all the bands. It would be perfect for creating an RFI baseline to compare reception before and after your neighbor's solar panel installation but it would only be playable within the SDRuno software.

On a side note, a neighbor (approximately 500 feet away) had a company install a full roof solar panel system about a year ago. I can't detect any noise from it on any bands from the bottom of the AM BCB through 6 meters. I also never hear anything from it when I drive by while listening to distant stations on the AM BCB. I noticed today that they have a roofing company sign in their front yard which means that the whole array is about to be removed so the new roof can be installed. Of course that means it will be re-installed once the roofing job is done which opens up the possibility that something will be borked during that process. Time to make another baseline recording!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015