The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:52:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HamCom Texas  (Read 4543 times)
Detroit47

« on: May 04, 2018, 06:31:09 PM »

I am thinking about skipping Dayton this year.  I still got mud  on stuff. I was looking for feedback on Ham Com. I know there are people that have been to both. So tell me about it is it worth the 18 hr drive. I cant fly no way to bring back cool stuff.

Jonn N8QPC
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »

I have plans to go to Hamcom this year, but to see old friends.  The past few years it was in a place that did not allow tail gaiting  which put a damper on most Boatanchors.  This year it is at a place that allows it so it may be better, but I stress May. 

Keep in mind that there has not a lot of boatanchor equipment at Hamcom in the past few years, but I don't know what to expect this year.  The best fest for boatanchors is the Belton Fest, held two time per year, spring and fall.  It is about 3 hours South of Dallas or about 1.5 hours North of Austin.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:47:25 PM »

Overall I recommend hamcom but I live in Dallas.

Generally it is well-worth attending with a decent mix of stuff but as told less boatanchors -mainly the admission price, I think, keeps the good junk at home or in the outdoor area. It's big but not as big as Dayton. It was in Irving, TX last year and the city ordinance there forbids parking lot sales.

This year, in Plano. Very modern and new-ish building in Plano 4 miles North of Dallas, you will like it, good plumbing and HVAC, and well-lit inside, plenty of space, overnight security, modern concessions. The farthest parking is only a walk of 1/8 mile and it's all paved. Bring your cart or 2 wheeler. There is no reason to get mud on anything unless you want to. Close-in and large "special needs" HC parking lot is between the outdoor sale and the building.

Restaurants: There are many sit-down and take-out eateries around the location at 1-3 miles, all kinds, and some very nice restaurant if you want the best. If you don't know about the excellent authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants in this region of border states, it's not the same as elsewhere so enjoy!  - Note that the hottest sauce available may be more flavorful than some visitors expect.

BTW people here are very polite most of the time so you can ask for directions/suggestions and get good results.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:29:08 PM »

John,

Fly down a day maybe day and a half early.

Peruse craigslist for a piece of junk minivan.  Buy it.  Get an oil change.

Go to the ham fest.  Completely fill the van up.  Drive home.

Throw minivan away.

Problem solved.

--Shane
KD6VXI
KC4VWU

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 05:10:22 AM »

OR--- convert mini van into mini pus bus!
Detroit47

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »

OR--- convert mini van into mini pus bus!
What is a mini pus bus?
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »

Its a smaller version of this,

http://www.criticalradio.com/timtron/web%20pages/Page%202.htm

and It doesn't really have to be painted School Bus Chrome.

klc

What? Me worry?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »

I was also gonna say get a full size van, and when you got back offer it to Sonny Day or Bobby Gilmore, but....  😁🤔😱

--Shane
KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 02:54:48 AM »

It could pay for the trip. Think of a rust-free Texas vehicle, for sale up North.. hah get it serviced and detailed and it's gold. If driving something like that back, better service the transmission too.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015