The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:40:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat Pump RFI  (Read 2834 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: April 30, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »

I am going to have installed a new high efficiency Heat Pump in our home.  RFI can be a problem with the new variable speed fan technique used in the air handler.  The new inverter technology used in the modern heat pumps can also be a problem.  In doing an internet search, there are so many complaints that I can not determine which are the better manufacture units to go with. 

If anyone has a modern heat pump, I would be very interested to know if you have any EMI/RFI issues from what brand unit you have.

Thanks....
Joe-W3GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »

The one I purchased when we built a house in 2004 caused some grief, but the emissions were low level.
 Most of the noise was below 7 Mc. so in the late afternoon and evening it did not pose a problem.

I sold that house in 2010 and built another, this time buying an Armstrong with a 4 ton air handler.  It does not cause any problem at all.  I live in a rural area with very low noise so anything that has noise associated would be heard.  

You are probably aware that the choice of a dealer is paramount for the unit warranty.  The manufacturer does not pay them labor after 90 days so it may be up to you.  I suggest you talk to whoever is going to put the thing in and get them committed in writing to any necessary repairs for at least a year.  The dealer who installed the present unit bailed after 90 days because of another problem and I had to threaten a suit against him, the wholesale company and the manufacturer.  The wholesaler sent and paid a guy to come fix my problem so it worked out, but the problem was not noise related.  I really don't like dealing with these HVAC guys for the most part.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »

Thanks Jim. 

What was the brand of the one you had back in 2004?  Up this way I don't know of any dealers that sell the Armstong brand.  Popular ones up here are Carrier, Lenox, Trane and a few others. 

Thanks,
Joe

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 10:29:59 PM »

You can put inside your purchase contract that they must meet current rfi guidelines.

I'd start with panadapter screen shots before the installation.  And after, if their are any problems.

This is something to put in the contract.  Any contractor that won't honor this, steer clear from.  Means they probably don't have any kind of relationship with the manufacturer other than purchasing whatever they can at the parts house.

I have seen units ripped off a roof that couldn't meet rfi guidelines.  Not pretty, and not cheap.  BUT, the homeowner demanded a specific noise level.

Jim Brown, K9YC can provide more information... The RFI mailing list on contesting.com.would be where I'd ask this question, as well.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:18:22 PM »

Joe, my memory is a bit shady at my age, but I believe it was  a Heil.  But that was a early 2000 model and the dealer was very good to work with me for the entire year.  He finally managed to lower the noise level to an acceptable point and found, among other things, the transformer was a part of the problem.

The brands you mention are all good brands. Armstrong Air is part of Lennox as are other brands.  For a rundown on who owns what you can look at this page.   Just do as Shane says, put in your purchase contract what you expect and make it very clear.

http://www.johnmills.net/work/history.html
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »

Thanks all for your inputs!  A lot of good information. 

As your all aware, the designs are always changing and some of the proven ones from as few as 10 years ago are not necessarily the one to go with today.  After doing some research, it appears that there are some good and proven ways to eliminate the noise should that become a problem.  We will make our selection this month and I will give some feedback on how things work out after all of this get installed. 

Joe-GMS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015