The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Hat for 40M vertical  (Read 2121 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: April 02, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »

I started building a 40M vertical and I’d like to add a capacitive top hat. My understanding is that it can broaden the bandwidth.  Just wondering how large it needs to be, is bigger better?
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »

A top head doesn't broaden the bandwidth,. If you have to shorten the antenna and make it to resonate, a top head gives you a wider bandwidth and a higher radiation resistance COMPARED to a loading coil, so it is preferred. But the bandwidth of a shortened antenna will always be narrower than a full size.
I advice downloading MMANA, an antenna simulation program, works very fine, fun and is simple to use. I posted a 40 and 20 meter vertical in antennas
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:14:14 PM »

You would only need a top hat if your vertical is not a quarter-wave length (about 33 or 34 feet). If you want more bandwidth, use a larger (fatter) vertical element. This can be a larger size tubing or the use of multiple wires in a cage configuration.
WA4WAX

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »

Whatever you do, put the hat on the very top of the antenna.  Do NOT put it on the top of the loading coil if you are using a loading coil as well.

Try an 8 to 10 inch hoop with varying numbers of spokes.

Matt
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »

Thanks for the clarification. The radiator will be made from the aluminum tower legs from my tower than came down 6 years ago. They are about 1 1/4" in diameter so that alone may give me some extra bandwidth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015