The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARC-2  (Read 7439 times)
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« on: April 14, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »

I may have a chance to acquire an ARC-2 in half decent shape along with power supply. Does anyone have any experience with these transmitters? I guess it is both a transmitter and receiver in one box?

Ron

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »

Here some data Ron, seems a nice set!!!!

http://www.radiomilitari.com/arc2.html
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:18:21 PM »

The 4 1625 finals are 807 with an other base and filament
KA3EKH

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »

Great radio, was used a lot by the Navy back in the old days. Produced right after WW2 and replaced by the ARC-38 that was a fully automatic radio.
Biggest issue will be the rack and the connector for the back of the radio, I know I have never seen one and know at least one person who had to fabricate it from scratch. Also the receiver is somewhat broad. I think they built the receiver with a broad IF because frequency tolerances and control was not that good back in the old days and maybe they felt wide IF was better to account for everyone not being right on channel but that’s just pure speculation on my part.
Do you have the internal dynamotor?

WA1QHQ

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »

I believe Mike Murphy WU2D was running one mobile for quite awhile.

Mark WA1QHQ
K9PNP

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:15:30 PM »

Also the receiver is somewhat broad. I think they built the receiver with a broad IF because frequency tolerances and control was not that good back in the old days and maybe they felt wide IF was better to account for everyone not being right on channel but that’s just pure speculation on my part.

I  was fortunate enough in my younger days to know some of the OTs who were AAF radio ops; mostly aircraft ops.  In addition to the noted reasons, which somewhat agree with their comments, they said that it was not always easy to tune a receiver exactly if you had to change freqs for some reason due to such things as turbulence, cold and the clothing required to combat it, and flak.  Xtal control of the transmitters apparently was more common than the receivers, but I fail to understand why.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015