The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:25:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart Meter interference  (Read 2959 times)
Detroit47

« on: March 13, 2018, 08:19:24 PM »

The Consumers power company is our local electricity provider. They installed a smart meter last year. In the last few weeks it has decided to sing a song on 7.223 40 over S9. It is tearing up 75 meters as well. Who shall I call first the FCC or the electric co?

John N8QPC
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:00 PM »

John,

We have a smart meter as well and it has not caused any problems. 

I would call your utility company first and go that route.  I think that would likely be the fastest way to eliminate the problem.  Have them send out one of their power quality EMI troubleshooters and show them the issue.  Our utility company has been very good at resolving these kind of noise issues.

Joe-W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
N1BCG

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:25 PM »

^^^ Ooops. Joe beat me to the punch by 25 seconds...

As a good will gesture, I'd contact your power company first and have a rep come out so that you can demonstrate the interference and indicate, politely, that the device should not be causing interference to radio communications.

Suggest that they try another unit (this demonstrates a cooperative approach) and be available to test for interference while the technician is there. If it still causes interference, mention that it may be a design issue. The FCC requires such products to not cause interference and they could be hearing from other customers.

A possible solution would be to use the original meters for customers who experience the interference.
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:29 PM »

This is also in Europe a very common problem. The power companies normally don't do much about it in Europe. The deliver the power and have the power  Angry
N1BCG

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:17:11 PM »

The deliver the power and have the power  Angry

Ja. Dat is niet leuke meer. At least in the U.S. “Zeg nooit nooit”.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 08:15:57 AM »

I had a power line noise problem which I diagnosed as a bad transformer two blocks away. When I initially contacted the power company (PSE&G) they didn't seem to be interested. After I explained that their equipment was causing interference to a licensed radio service, and they'd be in violation of the law their enthusiasm suddenly increased. Within a week the problem was fixed.But I'd have to agree, try the congenial approach first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015