The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:48:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dean H McGorril WA1KNX SK  (Read 11878 times)
N6YW
Contributing

« on: March 05, 2018, 11:26:21 AM »

To all...
It's with a sad heart that I announce the passing of our dear friend Deano, WA1KNX.
Dean succumbed to a heart attack yesterday afternoon after having years of health
problems. He is remembered as one of the nicest people on AM and will be sorely missed.
We here of the Southern Arizona AM Group will be having a memorial luncheon for Dean
sometime next week, and funeral/memorial info will be posted on the QRZ Am Forum
thread concerning WA1KNX. Cards and flowers for his widow Mary would be appreciated
and should be sent to his mailing address here in Tucson, as listed on QRZ.
Thank you.
73 de Billy N6YW

* Deano WA1KNX.JPG (83.5 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 546 times.)

"Life is too short for QRP"
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »

Here's a recent photo of our group gathered for the monthly luncheon.
From left to right:
Larry W7LB, Kelly WQ5Q, Frank W7YAZ, Dave AJ7O, Billy N6YW, Deano WA1KNX, George W8VG, John WD7F.

* Southern AZ AM Group.JPG (149.07 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 793 times.)

KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »

Wow!!  This is really sad news.  I QSOed with Deano many times.  He will be sadly missed on the airwaves.

RIP Deano

Fred KA2DZT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:52:24 PM »

Sad and surprising. Dean posted here 2 days ago. RIP

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »

Dean and I worked for the same company, although he was based in Tucson and I was in CT. I saw his name on an email chain and asked if he was the one and only. He responded in the affirmative and we had several telephone conversations and emails after that.
He just supplied me with his thoughts on a technical question here.
RIP Dean

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »

Sad news indeed.  I feel a big loss. This is something that really hits home and makes me realize how little time we all have.

Over the last 45 years Dean was a close ham friend and one of the original Northeast AMers of the late 60's.  I've traveled with him to flea markets, astronomy events - visited his home many times.  Dean was a very unique, intelligent and gentle creature. 

He built a lot of big rigs, 4-1000A class - and even a few PW rigs. His 150' tower on top of the mountain in MA was quite the installation. He made a good showing of himself into the NE even after moving to Tucson, AZ.

I took notice of his second to last AMfone post when I first read it:  "I'd be 90 or dead before I get something HB'd, so the bauer's built."  Sadly, the latter came to pass first - and too quickly.

If there's a Ham Heaven, Deano will be there to welcome us some day.

RIP my old friend.  You will live on in our memories.

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 06:11:01 PM »

Sad news indeed.  I feel a big loss. This is something that really hits home and makes me realize how little time we all have.

Over the last 45 years Dean was a close ham friend and one of the original Northeast AMers of the late 60's.  I've traveled with him to flea markets, astronomy events - visited his home many times.  Dean was a very unique, intelligent and gentle creature. 

He built a lot of big rigs, 4-1000A class - and even a few PW rigs. His 150' tower on top of the mountain in MA was quite the installation. He made a good showing of himself into the NE even after moving to Tucson, AZ.

I took notice of his second to last AMfone post when I first read it:  "I'd be 90 or dead before I get something HB'd, so the bauer's built."  Sadly, the latter came to pass first - and too quickly.

If there's a Ham Heaven, Deano will be there to welcome us some day.

RIP my old friend.  You will live on in our memories.

Tom, K1JJ

Tom,
Indeed. He had just purchased that Bauer 701B from me just 3 weeks ago and it was planned that I was to go back to his place and get the transmitter moved into the shack so he could begin organizing the modifications for 75/40 meter
operation. I am completely bummed about this and we are all shell shocked here in our radio fraternity. He was very popular and always a lot of fun to be around. I will be helping his widow Mary in the coming weeks to get his gear into good homes. I spoke with her this afternoon and she said all of the funeral home arrangements had been pre arranged by Dean long before this would happen... good planning on his part. His remains will be brought back to Maine to be buried in the family plot. Meanwhile we will celebrate his life with smiles and good cheer and pretty soon, Mary and I and perhaps a few of the guys will fire up Deans station one last time and sign QRT/SK with style. Perhaps we could plan a schedule so some of the ops can work WA1KNX. His phased verticals should be heard with ease with good conditions.
Let me know your thoughts, please.
73 de Billy N6YW

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 06:33:31 PM »

Wow, what a shock.  I just got word from my good friend Bert-WA3JYU.   

I grew up with Dean on 75M AM back in the 60's.  Sadly I lost track of him when he moved out west. 

A great guy and I know he will be sorely missed by many.  He certainly left a very positive mark within the AM community. 

RIP old friend.....

Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 07:05:39 PM »

Yes, quite a shock.
I’m glad Deano enjoyed the West with you all for awhile Billy. 
Looks like he was super happy in your picture.
May God bless him and all his.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 07:19:26 PM »

I heard his call sign being floated around on 7293 today...  QSB so bad I couldn't get the gist of the conversations.

I QSO'ed with knx many times, seem to have a pipeline into Arizona.  Gonna miss you bud.

Godspeed.   Hope your wife / significant other can find some peace and solace in the near future.

73 OM

KD6VXI
wa2pjp

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 07:39:08 PM »

This is a real shock, I knew Dean for many years and had many QSO's with him. He was a shooter and several times I had shot with him at his old QTH. I traded gear with him several times and always enjoyed his company. I will always have fond memories of him hanging out at hamfests and on the air. So sorry to hear of his passing.

RIP Deano
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »

This is quite a shock.  I first QSO'd with Dean in 1969 on 75 m LSB; a group of us would get together after school.  And of course I worked Dean many years later on AM a fair amount before he moved west.

RIP OM.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:13 PM »

Absolute shock.  Just talked the Deano a few weeks ago in the wee hours of the morning during one of my sleepless nights

RIP Deano and God bless the family during their grief

Al
W1JS

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »

First logged contact with WA1KNX: Dec. 1969. 

73 & RIP, Deano    didididahdidah

Photo:  circa 2002, Boxboro 

* old buzzards re boxboro 2002 take 2.jpg (101.4 KB, 800x600 - viewed 790 times.)

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 02:49:25 PM »

Wow! So sorry to hear this. I just had a QSO with Deano on 40 meters not too long ago. Of course there were many contacts back in the 80s and 90s and visits to each other's QTH. Two funny stories:

Deano and Tom, K1JJ were traveling down to my place in Maryland to attend the Timonium fest. This was in the early/mod 90s. Deano had a mobile set up in his truck so I was able to track their progress. They stopped at Irb's place for a visit (funny story there too, but I'll let JJ tell that one) and of course there was lots of traffic along the way. So they arrived at my place around 11 PM. I was out at the street to meet them and to make sure they could find my house. The neighborhood was a quiet one and most people were already in bed. Tom was driving. Deano opened the passenger side door to get out and slowly, one after another, about 4-5 beer cans rolled out and hits the street, rattling and clanging loudly. I'm sure my neighbors were not amused but we all had a big laugh.

Later that weekend at the fest, Derb and Deano met in person for the first time. Both stopped and stared at each other for a second and smiled and said the others name excitedly. Then without warning, they did a massive belly bump. Both had pretty good guts going, so the collision was incredible. I still have that image in my mind. What a hoot.

Damn. Sure gonna miss that guy. Condolences to his wife and family.
W2JTD

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 04:06:12 PM »

Very sorry to hear this. We had much fun on the radio. RIP Deano.

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 10:20:57 AM »

Sorry to hear of this. God have mercy.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 10:49:21 AM »

I found some old (very old) pics of Dean and some other folks.

The first one is - from left to right - WA1QIX (me), not sure, Dean (typing on a VT100 keyboard), and Dean's son Eric when he was a little boy

This next one is a pic in my (WA1QIX) shack circa 1988.  From left to right: PW Fallon (AKA WA1IWQ), Tim WA1HLR, Dean WA1KNX and (I think) Joe WA2PJP (but not 100% sure).

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 11:10:19 AM »

Also very sad to hear of Dean's passing. I never met him, but had many QSO's with him back in the day when I lived in Plattsburgh, NY. Dean was also one of the first contacts I made with my new PP HK-54 rig on 40 meters about two weeks ago. We talked about our days of living in the NE area, and were surprised when we met again in a ND to AZ QSO. Rest in peace my ham radio friend.

Ron W8ACR

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »

Folks:

I heard this on the air two days ago from TimTron. I am very sad to hear of Deano's passing. While I talked with him only a few times, I listened to him for years. Dean was a tall ship on AM!

Hope he is enjoying the great hamshack in the sky.

God bless 'KNX,
Dan
W1DAN
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:45 PM »

I found some old (very old) pics of Dean and some other folks.
The first one is - from left to right - WA1QIX (me), not sure, Dean (typing on a VT100 keyboard), and Dean's son Eric when he was a little boy

This next one is a pic in my (WA1QIX) shack circa 1988.  From left to right: PW Fallon (AKA WA1IWQ), Tim WA1HLR, Dean WA1KNX and (I think) Joe WA2PJP (but not 100% sure).

Thanks Steve for sharing those great pictures! 

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 01:53:19 AM »

WOW!
Such an amazing amount of replies but not surprising... From knowing Deano, I know exactly what you
all mean and why. I am certain that we will all "Carry On" with the same bright filament and pervasive
modulation of character and poise as Deano did. Such an honor to know a fine person as he.
We are all richer for the experience.
His remains will be brought back to the family plot in Maine, in August by his widow Mary.
Meantime, she and I will dig though his shack belongings in the hope that new homes will be found.
Anyone need a fine stash of 813"s and of course, a beautiful Bauer 701B?
Billy N6YW

wa2pjp

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »

Just to correct one of the pictures, but that was not me on the right in one of the pictures with Deano and Tim as some one had posted, although he was wearing my standard attire of denim, flannel and sunglasses.   Not sure who that may  be.

Joe  WA2PJP
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »

Not sure who that may  be.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't you. Sorta looks like Wayne/SSJ or maybe Chris the HODman?

I'm still stunned that Deano is gone. He was always a big part of the New England AM scene. Always had a big signal worthy of the 'East Coast Sound' moniker. Spoke with him many times over the years, though less after he moved to AZ. The last time I recall was a night I was working the left coast late evening/early morning. Deano popped in just to say hi as we hadn't spoken for some time. Tried to get him to hang around and join in but he was having none of it. Said he didn't want to interrupt, just wanted to say howdy. Always the gentleman.

There are a lot of funny stories and memories to be shared about Dean. Like the way he used to clear the branches away from his wire aerials with a 12 ga. shotgun.

I was extremely fortunate to be talking with Dean at one of the last (maybe the last) Hosstraders events at Hopkinton when his cohorts Pete/VZR and Richaroni/ETP chimed in to share a story about a little....'party' of sorts that took place at Pete's home one evening. It involved the three of them, a large iron wrecking bar known as 'The Boss', and the destruction of some radio equipment and an old TV set. It's not a story that translates well to the printed word but suffice to say - Rich ended up being the one caught red-handed so to speak by Pete's less-than-impressed wife, while Deano had been the one primarily responsible for the disturbance. As Rich was relaying the story (complete with gestures and sound effects), Deano was laughing so hard he was turning red, interjecting a detail here and there along with Pete. The three of these guys together was quite the mix - I can only imagine what it must've been like that evening.

Later that night after we'd all gotten home and on 75m, the distinct audio of a woman chewing someone out came wafting across the airwaves. Seems Pete had a cassette recorder running during the entire event! I sure wish I had a video of story as it was told to me. Truly priceless.

Dean was one of the big signals on the air when I got into AM back in the 80s. He would disappear for a while but always returned, and seemed to be in a perpetual good mood. Never heard him on the air having anything other than a good time. I hope he is looking down at us all and knows what a gap he leaves in the AM community. A man who was truly loved and enjoyed by all his radio friends. He will be greatly missed.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »

Saddened...........as has become our custom we will be wearing Deano KNX buttons at NEAR-Fest to celebrate his life and that we were lucky to know him.

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015