The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:14:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House wire in the Sun  (Read 3744 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: February 21, 2018, 10:56:57 PM »

How well does THHN (house wire) hold up out in the weather? I used to use this stuff but haven't for many years. I'm sure you folks can tell me. I'm thinking of using it for a bifilar choke at the feedpoint of the 75M dipole when it goes back up but wonder if it will disintegrate before I do.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »

The clear outer insulation of the #12 or 14 will shed in a bit of time, but the actual THHN 2 or THWN 2 insulation will last for years in most climates.

I've seen it underwater for years in pipes, still good.  Unless the insulation is allowed to repeatedly flex... N that can cause ingress.

The 'romex' outer shield completely depends.  Sometimes it lasts years, other times I've seen one summer disintegrate the outer yellow sheath.

The inner wires where fine.

--Shane
KD6VXI
W4WSZ

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:41:00 AM »

I know from experience it will last 19 years...........good luck
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:53:45 PM »

25 so far in the NE. If you live where the sun comes out, YMMV.  Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
N3TQW

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:28:55 PM »

Presently using the stuff as a random wire for a little over 10 years without a problem. Like said earlier in the thread, the outer skin will peel off, but the actual PVC coating holds up pretty well not showing any signs of deterioration.
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 09:28:05 PM »

My antenna has been up for about 8 to ten years also with no weather related problems. Have had one breakage in that time due to high winds and the fact that it's been in the tops of some tall oaks.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 01:10:18 AM »

Thanks, guys.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »

Thanks, guys.

Wait a minute, I didn't get my 3 cents in Grin  Grin  I used number 10 stranded, black in color and the clear part came off after a few years. It had been up for 11 years way up on pine trees maybe 75 or 80 feet and it survived all kinds of tugging from the wind but I did one thing before I put it up since it would be cut for 1.885 fed with OWL. I hooked it up to my truck bumper while the other end was tied to a tree and stretched it till it broke. I figure that was poor mans hard drawn wire. I spliced it back together and measured it again and if I remember correctly, it stretched about 4-5 feet. I did this because I didn't want one side longer than the other. It would still be up there but some loggers came in and took down the tree on the north end Sad Sad I replaced it with some of that wire man #13 copper clad steel stuff only because it was given to me.

The stretching did make it stiffer and in doing so, the wire somehow bound itself to the plastic covering making it somewhat hard to strip the insulation off it to spice it together?  If it were a shorter antenna, I would probably not go through all that trouble.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KF9CM

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »

Hi guys,
Did I miss the memo or is there something wrong with using bare wire?  Grin Other than getting shorted out by wet leaves and branches using insulated wire I don't see the significance. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

Tnx de Gary, KF9CM

73 de Gary, KF9CM

www.kf9cm.com
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 12:23:03 PM »

I believe the advent of insulated wire came about from the manufacture of pre made antennas. I have read somewhere that having insulated wire has an effect on the antenna length or velocity factor but I forgot just how that works. I pay no attention to those details and just put up whatever wire I have but I try to use the thickest gauge I have to limit breakage, if it is not copper clad antenna wire. Maybe some brainiac can explain the finer details of insulated over bare wire on here?

The above thoughts are for flat tops using OWL. For coax fed antennas I prefer bare wire.
I make the antenna longer than necessary and use half bolts to fold the wire back on itself to make the antenna resonant on the frequency I am interested in working. It's a pain to do that with insulated wire since height about ground and nearby objects affect its resonance point.  

This link talks about bare vs insulated

https://www.google.com/search?q=insulated+antenna+wire+vs+bare&oq=insulated+antenna+wire+vs+bare&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.15699j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KA2DZT

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »

I use 8 conductor phone wire for antennas.  Works good, stronger than you would think.  I have roles of the stuff, only thing it's good for is antennas.

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015