The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:33:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest for the Johnson Viking 2 holy Assembly Manuel  (Read 8346 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« on: February 08, 2018, 06:14:05 PM »

Any one have a copy of the JVK2 assembly manual that can be emaled to me?

Gomabseubnida,

KLC

What? Me worry?
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:28:23 PM »

Kevin, I sent the assembly djvu and the manual.pdf to your email on record at qrz.com.  Hope that helps....

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
WD4DMZ

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:23:25 PM »

Could you email that to me as well?

Rich WD4DMZ good in QRZ.com

Thanks, Rich
w8khk

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:31:51 PM »

Could you email that to me as well?

Rich WD4DMZ good in QRZ.com

Thanks, Rich

They are on their way, Rich

"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »

RM,

Thanks, it came through... as N1bcg would say " double + good". This will save me a bunch 'o hours.

klc

What? Me worry?
w8khk

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:46:16 PM »

RM,

Thanks, it came through... as N1bcg would say " double + good". This will save me a bunch 'o hours.

klc

Have fun, Kevin.    I really like the Viking II.   It is well-built, and easy to work on.  Mine has been working without incident for almost 8 years.  Not too heavy, like the Collins 32V series.  I get a backache just looking at that one! 

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »

This is VK2 Number 2. Being kit built, its about time I got the assembly manual to see how he/she or it did..

Right now, I've got the osc sometimes working, but no grid current on the meter- so that's tonight's mystery.

the other VK2 developed a problem with rising plate current during modulation..... the long, long story for another time... but I picked up a 122 VFO with this 'new VK2' and married it to the other VK2, removing the Griefkit  HG10.   And a Miracle happened - no rising plate current, so I guess it wasn't a loading problem, but whatever it was, went away when I changed out the VFO.

klc

What? Me worry?
w8khk

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »

the other VK2 developed a problem with rising plate current during modulation..... the long, long story for another time... but I picked up a 122 VFO with this 'new VK2' and married it to the other VK2, removing the Griefkit  HG10.   And a Miracle happened - no rising plate current, so I guess it wasn't a loading problem, but whatever it was, went away when I changed out the VFO.

klc

I am using the HG-10 with my Viking II.  I had a similar problem early on.  I found the 100 pf coupling capacitor (C30) in the vfo was leaky, and it caused a positive bias on the grid of V6 (6AU6) in the Viker.  Replaced that cap and problem gone.   Maybe something to check on your Griefkit HG10?

WD4DMZ

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 10:00:10 PM »

Thanks for the manuals!

Rich
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »

""   I found the 100 pf coupling capacitor (C30) in the vfo was leaky ""

yea, that would be something to check......  Its amazing how much time I can waste and not find the problem.......

klc

What? Me worry?
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »

I am using the VFO 122 with my Viking II-CDC. The only difference between the VII and the CDC version are some inductance increases in the OSC, Buffer, and Pi-Net.

For FWIW, here are my upgrades:

Phil - AC0OB

* Viking II - Latest Schematics Only.pdf (414.25 KB - downloaded 315 times.)

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 08:33:57 PM »

Weekend Update.

Returned unit to 'close to original', and gave it the smoke test. It kept all of it.

Other than disconnecting the original Switch to talk" handy hambone ckt. " the only thing I've done so far is to add a 5K, 5 Watt resistor in series with the Drive Pot and a few diodes across the meter.  Loading a 100W  light bulb returned a satisfying glow. No modulation, no mod current..... So I made a nice chicken pesto pasta meal (with ought the yardbird), and will return to the Johnson, maybe later tonight, definitely by tomorrow.

klc

1st speech amp,  gain around 10, 2nd amp, nothing. No Plate voltage, crap, yes, the P.O.S. transformer is cold dead.

Maybe I'll rewind it as a 1 to 1.  Or not.

klc

What? Me worry?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:40:25 PM »

RM,

klc

Hmm. I just recently saw that flick.. Good but the book was double +

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 01:03:59 AM »

Mr. Blair was not too far off the mark.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015