Johnson Viking Ranger 2 Advice Requested

(1/8) > >>

WD4DMZ:
A Ranger 2 followed me home from the Richmond Frostfest today. I was not looking for one but this unit was too clean to pass up. According to the seller it was an estate sale find. The caveat is 'as is' and working condition unknown.

First, the face is extremely clean... almost as new. Some paint has flaked off of the cabinet but no rust or corrosion. It looks as if the owner used it very little. No scratches, finger prints, smudges or worn printing. It had been covered so not dusty inside. No bad smell. Except for a new power cord it appears un-modified with original caps.

As tempted as I am I will not power it up until I get some guidance from those with experience on the R2. I do have a variac.

So, where to begin?

Thanks, Rich

N1BCG:
Congratulations! Those rigs can adhere themselves to our sides. First of all, use an Ohmmeter to check that there are no shorts in the LV and HV supplies. Next would be to fabricate a safety circuit consisting of a 60 Watt bulb in series with the power cord.

Using an extension cord you don't need, cut one lead and connect each lead to a regular bulb socket. I use a porcelain socket. Screw in the bulb, plug the Ranger into the cord and plug the cord into the wall.

Now, even if there's a ferocious short, the worst that will happen is the bulb will glow brightly. The rig won't be getting full voltage but you should be able to operate it in a limited way. Put in a 100 Watt bulb if things look good. After that, a direct plug-in should be safe.

KB2WIG:

After the bcg treatment, you'll probably need to replace the Chernoble resistor. Search for it here on the site, you'll find it.

Add a 3 prong plug.

Add a fuse on the 'hot' side of your power cord (on the inside of the transmitter).

It wouldn't hurt to change out the bias capacitor  C90 a and C90 B. Its a + gnd for these caps; I'd replace them with more than 50 uF.

This should start things off.

klc

WD4DMZ:
Excellent advice. Thanks.

I will use the 60 watt bulb limiter. Have one right here. Should I also slow cook it on the variac for a while before full voltage?

I have heard of the chernoble resistor. Which one is that? Which circuit?

The replacement cord has the original plug with each leg fused. I agree with the three prong plug and usually do that on a boat anchor project.

One concern I have is that the paint is sooooooo good. Usually I am dealing with a scratched and worn radio. My bench will be covered with a thick towel.

Rich

N1BCG:
Yes, the variac into the light bulb circuit. I also should have mentioned that it's the black wire (hot lead) that the bulb should be added to. You'll quickly notice if the bulb lights up "too brightly" as you increase the variac voltage, indicating an issue.

Quote from: WD4DMZ on February 03, 2018, 07:01:38 PM

...the paint is sooooooo good.

Pictures, please ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands