The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worried about what to eat while being tied to your chair during the AM Rally ??  (Read 5382 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: February 01, 2018, 02:11:57 PM »

If you're worried about being stuck in your chair through the AM rally - and wondering about food, there is the answer: BACHELOR CHILI ! It is awesome (really), I make this frequently. It is excellent. And yes, I do share it with Sherrie  Wink

This recipe will keep you in good stead for several days at least - more if only one person is eating it.

Here's the link:  http://www.amrally.com/chilli_recipe.htm

Remember, the rally starts on FRIDAY at 7:00PM Eastern time THIS WEEKEND (2/2/2018).

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Lou W9LRS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:15:15 PM »

WOW,  This Chili recipe would put me in competition with my Bulldogs for GAS !!!!   Sounds good though Steve.

Lou
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 12:16:59 AM »

Well, here in the navel of Ms. New York State, its gonna be a 35 oz. container of Wegmans Unsalted Dry Roasted PEANUTS and a six pack of Franziskaner Weissbier.

Eat your livers,

klc

we don't need no stinkin chilie

What? Me worry?
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 12:41:33 AM »

You are aware that Methane (Flatulence) is a Green House Gas???

OH the Climate Change!!!
KC4VWU

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 12:53:51 AM »

I've got plenty of girl scout cookies, since my daughter has bestowed 6 more CASES upon me to sell at work.

Thin mints and Hamm's anyone?
wb3eii

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 08:29:10 AM »

MMMMMMMM, Thin Mints and Hamm's, the beer for the dancing bear inside of all of us.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »

My beverage of choice would be a bottle of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) which is aged in bourbon barrels. That's the secret ingredient to insure you can properly project an  "HLR belch" while calling CQ AM Rally!
N1BCG

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »

"HLR belch"

aka Timtron's Roger Beep
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:07:11 AM »

I've got plenty of girl scout cookies, since my daughter has bestowed 6 more CASES upon me to sell at work.

Thin mints and Hamm's anyone?

OMG, thanks for the laugh!

All I can see in my head now is the Hamms bear, riding his bike, with the Hamms sing in the background!

Oh, childhood TV memories!

--Shane
KD6VXI
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »

This recipe will keep you in good stead for several days at least - more if only one person is eating it.

Mrs. DMOD (Shelly) took your recipe and made about 5 Liters of it.

Fantastic recipe and thanks for sharing.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 10:02:08 PM »

I have a recipe shared by another techie.....  This is by Ed, importer of Wouxun and Baofeng.

This soup came about by tweaking and combining several recipes.  You owe it to yourself to give it a try.
Leftovers freeze well, but because it taste even better the next day, it's hard to stop eating it until it's gone.
I find that I have to double this recipe to have enough left over to freeze.
The perfect companion for this soup is yellow cornbread.

2 ----- pounds ground beef
1 ----- chopped white onion
1 ----- 1 oz package Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
2 ----- 1-1/4 oz packages Old El Paso taco seasoning mix    (see note below)
1 ----- 16 oz can (of each), UNDRAINED, of the following
            black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans
2 ----- 16 oz cans white corn
2 ----- 16 oz cans diced tomatoes with chilies
1-2 --- teaspoons ground cumin
In a large pot, dump in all cans, undrained.  Stir in the ranch-style dressing mix, taco mix and cumin. 
Add 1-1/2 cups of water for a soup consistency or 1 cup for a chili consistency. 
Cover the pot and turn this on low heat while cooking the meat. 
Cook the meat and onion together until the meat is browned.  Drain and then stir into the soup.
I like to leave the heat set on low (covered).  It will eventually boil and you can simmer it for 2 hours or more.

Note - Old El Paso Taco mix comes in either "Spicy", "Original" or "Mild" flavor.
Two packs of Mild flavor gives a soup that is very tasty, kid-friendly and not too spicy.
Two packs of Original gives a soup that is pretty hot and will really open you sinuses, so be warned.
Two packs of Spicy is for feeding professionals.  Old El Paso now has a package labeled "Hot", I can't imagine
what two of those would be like!

My favorite is 1 pack of Original and 1 pack of Mild.  This makes a perfect soup that adults and bigger kids will like.
Make this one time and it will become one of your favorites.

I have made it, YUM!  My kids both liked it as well.  I'm going to be giving Steve's chili a try this week!

--Shane
KD6VXI
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 11:19:22 PM »

Mrs. DMOD (Shelly) took your recipe and made about 5 Liters of it.

Fantastic recipe and thanks for sharing.

Phil - AC0OB

Glad you liked it!  I make this recipe reasonably often, and almost always if I'm going to a pot luck and are bringing a main dish.  The chili along with the cornbread is always a big hit.   And it's easy - (and made with high quality ingredients so you know you're eating something healthy).

Working on a good lentil soup recipe.  Definitely more work than the chili, but another super-healthy meal that will last many days.  Beef stew is another good one.  Oops, must be hungry  Wink  All this talk about food !

Regards,  Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015