The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:06:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood MC-50 frequency response  (Read 8460 times)
AF7XT

« on: January 04, 2018, 03:33:18 PM »

I know the Kenwood MC-50 has been mentioned here in some detail. For a fair comparison to other microphones and replacement elements I went looking for a frequency response curve for the MC-50. I had less than no luck finding one.

Does anyone here have a frequency response curve for the MC-50?

Can anyone here produce a frequency response curve for the MC-50?

An audio spectrum analyzer isn't easily available and I don't want to introduce errors from transmitted audio and easily overloaded local or websdr. Neither is a good option.

The purpose is to locate high peak and roll off of the MC-50 and compare it with other microphones and replacement elements.

I'm simply trying to understand why a 70Hz flat to 10K or less than 3db between 1000Hz and 2800Hz is worth increased intelligibility at anywhere from $70 (Heil HC-5.1) to my commercial studio microphones in the $everal hundred$.

As an example my TS-830 won't even "see" anything past 4K Hz with the knee in the curve closer to 3K Hz. Anything from the microphone side is essentially ignored if it is over 3k Hz. On the transmit side the filter is likewise blind to anything over 2.8KHz. 4-6KHz "voodoo" or "zombie" ESSB audio is wasted on the Kenwood. (most of the ESSB sounds like crap)

Okay, none of this applies to AM. I just thought this group might understand. 
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 12:48:18 AM »

This group does understand. Oh yeah. There are some here who are very fussy about audio quality.

using the really bad setup of: a 'good' hi fi speaker, small AF amp and a sweep oscillator, and known good mike of yours, you could compare the readings to the Kenwood mike using a 2-channels scope. There would certainly be general errors but the roll-off and any peak worth worrying about should show up. I do this when checking newly dug-up mikes and I use a Realistic PZM for the 'reference'. It works. Might not be to your requirements though.

Never seen a response for the mentioned microphone.

I been to the 'voodoo' and ESSB pages. Ok interesting but there are problems as you say. Some of them probably mess with the AF filters or over-EQ the audio and cram it into them, but there are other limits.

I'm more interested in having a flat audio respnse from say 50-10000Hz, and applying something like the ESRC curve to the analog speech processing of it, then using a sharp analog filter before the first AF power stage. Even so the AF frequency stops at 4KHz but it is very clean at 200Hz and 4KHz.

I have no idea why the voodoo folks want the mike response to extend well past the audio response of their modulators unless it is for the same reason that on AM the modulator should be able to handle at least (+) and (-) an octave more than the desired speech bandwidth, - in order to reduce frequency and amplitude distortion caused by roll-off in an AF power stage, even though the general level may be compensated for by a low-level EQ stage.

Maybe someone else can offer a better answer  or idea.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »

Opcom said;

...Might not be to your requirements though....
I do the same.   Fancy, sweeping, automatic, computer controlled, wonder machinery is not needed. 

Pick your frequency and set the level to 94 dB SPL (sound pressure level) on the meter.

Replace the SPL meter with your microphone of choice, read the output level using a 10 MegOhm input meter.

Record level on some graph paper.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 07:15:59 AM »

"Most if the essb sounds like crap."

We feel your pain.

KLC

What? Me worry?
WD4DMZ

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »

Looking in my file cabinet I found the one page manual that came with my MC-50. No curve. It only lists the frequency response as '150Hz to 10KHz (-6db)'.

I once tried this mic in the Hi-Z 50 k ohm position on my Viking 2 and it did not compare well to a standard D104. The high end response was just not there.

Rich
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:54:54 AM »

If that mic has a response of 150Hz to 10KHz (-6db), then it's more than good enough for standard SSB work. I hear guys using very expensive mics and wonder why. Even on ESSB, most people don't transmit much above 6 kHz.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »

I get asked quite a bit what kind of mic I'm using.  Is it a name brand, what model, etc.

People really don't believe me when I say Konami.  

Yes, USB input, Playstation 2 version of Band Hero 2.

I'd love to have an EV or other high dollar mic, but seriously, cost to benefit ratio just isn't there.

(maybe if I was running a Gates, Collins or other broadcash rig....  But with the filters still in the TX chain of the ts 440, what's the point......)

--Shane
KD6VXI

AF7XT

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 01:51:01 PM »

...broadcash rig  Grin
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »

Quite a few of the northeast guys are using these right into the mic input of their Chinese X1M transceivers. Whirl-wide and broadcash quality...

Rob W1AEX

* broadcast quality.jpg (60.43 KB, 581x542 - viewed 492 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WZ8J

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »

There's a part of me that wants to believe this... Lips sealed
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »

Even better.

Bluetooth, wireless, and has built in echo and eq!

Get with it!

* IMG_20180113_152142.jpg (2382.63 KB, 2304x4096 - viewed 493 times.)

* IMG_20180113_152147.jpg (2786.7 KB, 2304x4096 - viewed 481 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 09:21:31 PM »

for your approval

* New band opens up.jpg (124.67 KB, 800x800 - viewed 501 times.)

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015