The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:46:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Shinbone" Gary/K4XK SK; Fire at K9ACT  (Read 2827 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: December 23, 2017, 06:03:07 PM »

Was just catching up on email and read a couple posts on the AMRadio email reflector from Rob, K5UJ. He reports that Gary/K4XK is now a silent key. I never met Gary but worked him many times over the years on 80 meters. Gary was a consummate gentleman on the air and always an enjoyable contact. Thoughts and prayers for his family through a very difficult time.

Rob also reports that Jack/K9ACT and his wife were recently the victims of a fire. Fortunately they are both fine as is their home, but apparently Jack's shop including his station was a total loss. I'm sure they are happy and thankful to be okay but what an awful thing to have to go through, regardless of the time of year.

Somewhere I have Jack's email address, will post it once I contact him. We're in the process of clearing out and downsizing the 'stuff' here, hopefully there's something here he can put to use. 

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news during a typically happy time. Death and disaster never got the memo about holidays.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:06:08 PM »

Sorry to hear about both of these. I talked to Gary many times in the past but I haven't heard him in recent years. He will be missed.

Jack is the driver behind the Noontime AM Forum on 40 meters. I hope he and his wife are well.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

Thanks Todd for passing along the information. 

Not sure if I ever worked Gary or not.  Not knowing his age, I am hoping that he enjoyed a long life.  As we know, some go early while others are fortunate to live a long life.  My OT friend Woody-W3TTW will be 102 on his next birthday.  He is still active on the air as well as some radio social events we have in the area. 

I have heard Jack-K9ACT running the 40M noontime net many times.  Fire is a very nasty issue to deal with.  I am sure you remember when Tim-HLR had the big fire at his QTH many years ago.  Speaking of fires, an elderly friend of our was living in a retirement facility in West Chester, PA and her wing of the building burnt to the ground.  4 people perished but she was fortunate and got out alive. 

It seems like we get lots of bad news around the holidays. 

Joe-W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 11:35:16 AM »

The 50kw at Tim's just caught fire.

They are on a 30k backup now.

Fires suck. 

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up