The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:31:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ranger idiosyncrasies  (Read 6290 times)
w3khg

« on: December 21, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »

Hello. New to the board.

Last week I purchased a beautifully restored Johnson Ranger II and now have a few questions. Besides the difference in paint color how does one determine a Ranger I to a Ranger II? Judging by the color mine is a Ranger II along with the manual!

The owner says he put the ptt relay in and it can be seen between V3 and V4 but the strange thing is I never hear it on cw and have not had the transmitter on AM Phone yet. Taking precautions.

Another area is when I put the Operate switch into the Tune position it does not tune! I must apply drive, buffer, and final in the CW position. Why is this?

The front Panel's green light is lit when power is applied but the Red light never comes on so perhaps it merely must be replaced.

When the meter is in the Grid position the needle is at zero but when in the Plate position the needle is at 30ma. I don't think there is actually 30ma. Something is causing the needle to raise.

Is there a Service Manual available? I would like to pop the cabinet off and put a bulb in for the red transmit light. There are 11 bolts and 3 of those seem to be a foot long connecting toward the front panel which could put myself into some trouble trying to reattach those three!

Sure I will have more questions but for now these are my most urgent.

john/w3khg

WD8KDG

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »

Hello John,

I'll chime in to answer a few of your questions. There seems to be three (3) versions of Rangers. Ranger & Ranger I have the same paint color and 11 meters. Ranger does not have grid block keying. Ranger II has 6 meters rather than 11 meters, different paint colors compared to the Ranger & Ranger I.

PTT: Must be more ways to add ppt to a ranger than Carter has little liver pills. You will have to remove the chassis from the cabinet and trace wiring. Shame past owners did not document their better ideas.

If no one has messed with the cabinet, there are guides for the three long screws/bolts. You should be able to shine a light thru the cabinet and see them.

That's all from here,

Craig

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 12:35:37 PM »

The internet is your friend. If you search for Ranger 1 and Ranger II transmitters, there is a lot of information to study that will give you knowledge on the Rangers.  Wink

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »

BAMA for manuals online:   Pete , manualman, sells + quality hardcopy.

KLC

What? Me worry?
w3khg

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 07:57:32 PM »

The internet is your friend. If you search for Ranger 1 and Ranger II transmitters, there is a lot of information to study that will give you knowledge on the Rangers.  Wink

Roll Eyes
w3khg

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 07:59:17 PM »

Hello John,

I'll chime in to answer a few of your questions. There seems to be three (3) versions of Rangers. Ranger & Ranger I have the same paint color and 11 meters. Ranger does not have grid block keying. Ranger II has 6 meters rather than 11 meters, different paint colors compared to the Ranger & Ranger I.

PTT: Must be more ways to add ppt to a ranger than Carter has little liver pills. You will have to remove the chassis from the cabinet and trace wiring. Shame past owners did not document their better ideas.

If no one has messed with the cabinet, there are guides for the three long screws/bolts. You should be able to shine a light thru the cabinet and see them.

That's all from here,

Craig

Thanks Craig. Good info. Most appreciative.

john
w3khg

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 08:07:16 PM »

BAMA for manuals online:   Pete , manualman, sells + quality hardcopy.

KLC

Roll Eyes
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:12:53 PM »

Very interesting. A newbie to this site asking very basic questions on a Ranger rolls his eyes when information is given.  I would recommend that before asking questions such as is a manual available for a Johnson Ranger? You might want to put in a little effort on your own. If you do, you'll find this board very helpful.

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
WD8KDG

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »

The search has to start somewhere...............give help when needed/asked. Promote AM!

Regards,
Craig

PS: Now ducking back under my rock. Grin

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
w3khg

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »

Very interesting. A newbie to this site asking very basic questions on a Ranger rolls his eyes when information is given.  I would recommend that before asking questions such as is a manual available for a Johnson Ranger? You might want to put in a little effort on your own. If you do, you'll find this board very helpful.

I was asking not for a Johnson Ranger manual but a Service Manual. There is a huge difference. I checked many sources before I came onto this forum asking and you advise me that the internet is my friend. If that is so what is the purpose of THIS AM FORUM which meets the needs more specifically.

Well I won't ask anymore questions. I am out of here.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »

No such thing as a service manual for a Ranger, or most any boatanchor.  There's the manual, and that's it...  If' it's not on BAMA it probably doesn't exist.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »

I was asking not for a Johnson Ranger manual but a Service Manual. There is a huge difference. I checked many sources before I came onto this forum asking and you advise me that the internet is my friend. If that is so what is the purpose of THIS AM FORUM which meets the needs more specifically.

Well I won't ask anymore questions. I am out of here.

This site offers a wealth of knowledge on many rigs.  Saying that, its always prudent for the person asking the question to sit down and study the schematic.  The Ranger is a very simple transmitter when you break it down in sections.  I have a Ranger 1 and 2 and my 2 has been in constant use for the last 35 years without a failure.  I did do a bunch of my own mods to offer some great circuit improvements in many areas of this transmitter. 

My suggestion is to purchase a manual if you don't have one.  Get out the schematic and start tracing the circuits out that you have questions on to see if yours has been modded or is one of the versions.  Once you get to a specific circuit and you know how yours is wired, when you have a specific question, I think you will get lots of help off of this site.  In my opinion, its the best resource available.

Joe-W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »

I recently got a Ranger as well, turns out mine is a very early version, with no "bias" taps on the power transformer.  having done some preliminary investigation, it seems there were at least 4 versions.   The original, which had no grid block keying, modulator grid bias, or bias taps on the power transformer.   The "second" WITH, the grid block keying (which eliminated the CW chirp), but still no Modulator grid bias or bias taps on the power transformer.   The "third" with the bias voltage taps on the transformer, the grid block keyer, and DC bias on the modulator grids.   then, there was the Ranger 2.

As has been stated, there have been several mods for the Ranger transmitters.   Many not so good, but workable to varying degrees.

As for your questions, from what I've learned so far, many of the PTT mods would only operate when the function switch is in the tune and/or phone positions.  

...PTT...Never hear it click...
Most likely it only works in the tune/phone modes.

...When I put it to tune position...
Again the PTT probably must be operated to "tune" the transmitter

...but the red light...
This again was often part of the PTT mod.

...when in plate position...
The 6146 is always partially on except when the function switch is in the standby position.  And as Don mentions below, the screen current is then shown on the meter.   That I didn't know as I too have just started on mine.   Lots more to learn.

...is there a malnual...
There were operating manuals, and construction manuals, both of which have schematics and parts lists, I believe.   As JN indicated, long ago the "manual" had most all the information necessary including schematics and parts lists.

Just noticed you're "outta here".  

Too bad!   So Long!

Mike

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
W9BHI

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »

John,
If your Ranger has the PTT mod from the manual, the tune mode won't work anymore.
You need to put the "VFO/crystal" switch in the "zero" position to see grid current.
Don' be run off by someones rude behavior towards a newbie.
You sometimes have to have thick skin and shrug it off.
I had the same thing happen to me the first time I posted a question on this forum.
That particular individual has since been banned fron this site for his comments.
There is a wealth of information here and many members that are willing to help you with the most trivial of questions.
Asking questions is how we learn.
Don W9BHI
W9BHI

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »

John,
I also forgot to add, the 30 Ma. you see in the plate position is the current being drawn
by the final amp screen resistor being grounded by the 6aq5 clamp tube which is normal.
Go to the BAMA mirror site and download a manual and do a little reading, all will become clear to you.

Don W9BHI
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 05:03:43 PM »

Hi Don,

No rudeness intended. I was trying to make the same point as you. Go on the internet and get a manual and do some reading. There is probably more info on the Ranger than any other transmitter. I myself seek help all of the time. But I try to do my homework before hand and not abuse the privilege. I'll admit that I found his eye rolling emojis uncalled for someone new seeking help. It looks like we just got off on the wrong foot.

May everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Mike
KE5YTV

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015