The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:34:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvey Wells T-90  (Read 3531 times)
KB1MM

« on: December 17, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »

I used to be fairly active on AM back in the late 80's but family, jobs etc kept me away so I sold my equipment Undecided and regretted it ever since.

About five years ago, I was given a Harvey Wells T-90, an APS-90 (matching Power Supply and an SX-100, all seem to be in good condition physically. I haven't powered up the T-90 yet as the power cable interconnect between the TX and PS is missing. I will have to homebrew one. I have the Cinch Jones plugs...I just need to cob together a cable.

I will be recapping the T-90, the APS-90 and the SX-100 over the next month or two and doing any necessary repairs as I find them.

If there is anyone familiar with these pieces, I was hoping you may be able to push some wisdom my way...things to watch for, change, etc...

Thanks and it will be fun to get back on AM once I get these radios running again.

Tim, KB1MM
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »

http://www.solorb.com/elect/hamcirc/HWT90restoration/

Welcome back!  The fellow above has a T-90 restoration.

In case you haven't seen it here is a website by a Harvey fan in Sweden.  Tons of info and photos. 

http://www.swedeart.com/harvey/html/w1rf.html

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KB1MM

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 08:05:32 PM »

Thanks for the links! I shall check them out.
N3GTE

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »

Hi Tim I had one back in the early '90s on the air. Don't remember any issues with getting it work and on the air, was pretty straight forward. As you'll see from Peter's site I'm more of a TBS-50 guy. Need to get one back on the air!

GL
Terry N3GTE
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »

Hi Tim I had one back in the early '90s on the air. Don't remember any issues with getting it work and on the air, was pretty straight forward. As you'll see from Peter's site I'm more of a TBS-50 guy. Need to get one back on the air!

GL
Terry N3GTE

And if you need a pair of 6AV5's I have a pair.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
KB1MM

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 12:20:49 PM »

Thanks all...I will be building up the cable this weekend and hoping to power it up. At that point, I can determine if I need any tubes. I have a crap load of tubes I've collected over the years (I use to repair guitar amps and pro-sound stuff full time, now just a hobby) plus a friend gave me two large boxes of tubes, many of them, used in glowing radios.

As of yet, I don't have a mic for it...all my mics are low Z mics studio type mics and I believe the mic input Z on the T-90 is pretty high, like crystal/ceramic high. I might be able to make some sort of lo to hi Z mic preamp.

In the meantime I'll just throw a key on it until I can pick up a D-104 good buddy type mic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015