The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:23:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL MEMBERS: Please read this and visit this site...before Jan 19th 2018.  (Read 6719 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« on: January 07, 2018, 05:30:43 PM »

If you are an ARRL member please visit this page and read what is going on.  Many members are demanding more transparency and accountability from their Directors.

You may want to do so as well.

https://www.myarrlvoice.org/

It is quite an eye-opening read.  In my humble opinion some of these guys are up to some pretty shady stuff.  They are proposing to change the Articles of Association and the By-laws that will allow them to operate in the ”stealth mode” more than the do right now.

MrMike, W1RC

PS:  Here are some official League documents, minutes from meetings, proposed changes to Articles of Association, By-Laws, etc.

The Code of Conduct as passed by the ARRL Board of Directors in January 2017: www.arrl.org/files/file/ODV/ARRL%20Code%20of%20Conduct.pdf

The Minutes of the ARRL Board Special Meeting at which N6AA was censured:  http://www.arrl.org/files/file/2017%20Board%20of%20Directors/Minutes%20of%20Special%20Board%20Meeting%20ARRL%20Board%20of%20Directors.pdf

The N2YBB proposals: https://bit.ly/N2YBBmotions

The K5UZ proposals: www.B4H.net/ARRL_2018_Jan_Redline_BOD.pdf ,in particular, see Appendix B

And older news, the destruction of the ARRL National Traffic System (NTS):

The destruction of the ARRL National Traffic System (NTS):  https://qninewsletterdotnet.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/qni-2016-8-4.pdf

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:52:18 AM »

Wow! When you have the likes of the PVRC upset, there is likely a real problem.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:17:54 AM »

Wow! When you have the likes of the PVRC upset, there is likely a real problem.
It is not only the PVRC.  Many of the high rollers and major players are really torqued over this issue.

It is interesting to me that I “know” several of the fellows on the ABOUT US/STEERING COMMITTEE page mainly because I am not into contesting and don’t move in those circles.  They are for the most part very wealthy contesters.  

Back in July of 2014 as a result of NEAR-Fest’s participation as an “Organizational Sponsor” of the WRTC2014 I was invited, along with the other “Organizational Sponsors” to attend the Opening Ceremony.  Since a free dinner was involved I was happy to attend.

This was a major international Amateur Radio event that attracted the best contesters from all over the world.  Held every four years only the best operators are invited to participate.  This is considered the “Olympics of Contesting”.    This year’s WTRC is being held in Germany.

Those of you who know me know that I have no use for or interest in contesting. I find it pretty boring actually. If the truth be told I lack the operating skills to be a contest operator.

Getting back to 2014.  I was very impressed with the excellent organization that had been assembled for this event.  I pulled the Chairman aside and asked if they needed any help.  “Do you know the area?” I was asked.  “Sure, I live here,” I replied.  “You think you can find the sites”?   I was shown a thick looseleaf binder with maps, diagrams (with circles and arrows on the back of each one!’.  “No problem!”

N6TV was the official photographer who I was asked to “guide” to the station sites.  I was also asked by the committee member for whom I worked to take Rick along because he was a “big private donor” to the event.  He was very grateful to me and Bob for “allowing”him to come and bought us a nice lunch.

I met a lot of these “big gun contesters that weekend at WRTC14.  They are all pretty heavy hitters. One was a “privately sponsored” WRTC2014 contester and it is my understanding that a few of these guys paid “big bucks”to be allowed to play in the big leagues for a couple days.

Take a look at some of the postings by N6XI, N3JT and W6OAT.  It is interesting to note that they all have specifically mentioned that they are going to “disinherit” the League from their wills and otherwise cut them off financially.  These are the “party faithful” and they are that pissed off.

I personally will not participate in the discussions because I am not a League member and it would probably be inappropriate.  However I believe this is the best place for you and other concerned ARRL members to make your views known as you can be sure that the leadership of the League will be following this site closely right up to the meeting on the 20th.

But time is limited because the Board Meeting is in less than two weeks.

MrMike

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 07:23:26 AM »

Also,check Janis, AB2RA’s Page...lots of great stuff...

http://www.wireless-girl.com/

From AB2RA’s Page:

I am trying to provide you the direct (unedited) source material so that you can inform yourself on the issues and come to a thoughtful decision. Here are the source material links:

https://www.hamradionow.tv/episodes/2017/12/30/hrn-377-bs11-arrl-cq-happy-new-year?download=true
  (start viewing at 10:50)

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/major-change-to-arrl-by-laws-proposed.593056/

https://www.change.org/p/american-radio-relay-league-improve-arrl-transparency-and-respect-for-present-and-future-membership
  (consider signing the petition and spread the word)

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:31:36 AM »

Sounds like who ever is behind this has a splinter in his butt for the League. They have been and are in a constant fight to change the HOA's policies. Too many "coulds", like "could be terminated" and so on. We have enough real political issues going on right now.

No desire to support something so vague at this time.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 08:44:46 AM »

Sounds like who ever is behind this has a splinter in his butt for the League. They have been and are in a constant fight to change the HOA's policies. Too many "coulds", like "could be terminated" and so on. We have enough real political issues going on right now.

It is not so “vague” if you bother to read the documents.  Many of the major supporters who are “behind this” are the loyal “Party members”.  Since you are interested in HOAs read how some people feel they “sold out” to the HOA industry.

“The Board approved staff negotiations with the homeowner association (HOA) industry that produced H.R. 555/S.1534. These bills contain a terribly flawed set of rules that give HOAs the tools needed to easily prohibit Amateur Radio forever, not under a contractual restriction but now under federal law.”

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »

The HOA issue is probably the one and only reason I would not consider moving to FL. I’m nearing retirement and I plan to be able to enjoy this hobby without having to worry about offending anyone when I put up an antenna. The ARRL just got done mailing out another round of letters to our representatives in Washington. I received a copy and it was totally supportive of our cause and concerns.

Anyone who purchases property within an HOA is freely agreeing to abide by their rules. No one held a gun to their head and forced them. The ARRL’s position, in part, is to try and get the HOA’s to recognize the services that our hobby can provide in an emergency. You will never make great strides by demanding anything of anyone.

Your suggestion to read “how some people feel” is effectively asking me to read the opinions of those who start these petition web sites. If you agree with that position, that’s fine. The ARRL is largely a business that supports our hobby. In part, decisions they make are intended to improve the ROI. The more hams there are, the more radios get sold and hopefully the more members the ARRL gets. This same scenario existed when Goldwater (K7UGA), Kenwood and other companies first lobbied for relaxing the licensing requirements back in the late 60’s and 70’s. Easier license requirements = sell more radios.

There really isn’t any point in turning this into an on-line debate – it’s a business!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 03:41:54 PM »

Sounds like who ever is behind this has a splinter in his butt for the League. .....Too many "coulds", like "could be terminated" and so on. We have enough real political issues going on right now.

I agree!!
The web page is very vague and lacks citations. Continuous statements like "Board members have circulated among themselves" don't help. So what if they circulate an idea, concept or change. As long as it is not being voted on, it is irrelevant. Frankly, I would hope our board members are circulating a lot of ideas for the League rather then just rubber stamping.

For example one section says

"Board members have circulated among themselves proposals to give four non-elected officers of the ARRL – the President and three Vice-Presidents – votes on the Board. ........"

Yet, the document referred to on the first posting in QRZ  http://www.b4h.net/ARRL_2018_Jan_Redline_BOD.pdf says in section 14 "The President, the Vice Presidents, and the Treasurer shall possess all of the rights and duties of directors save Directors except the right to vote and the right to participate in the call of a special meeting of the Board, as referred to in Article 4 of the Articles of Association, provided, however, that the President shall be required to cast a vote at any Board of Directors meeting on any matter as to which a tie is found to exist. "

If someone will provide accurate citations and examples fine, but all I see are innuendos and "maybes"

Carl

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 06:10:29 PM »

The ARRL bills itself as a membership organization. Directors are voted upon by the members. Some members (many lifetime members and hardcore ARRL advocates in the past) are upset with recent changes. Trying to claim that his is nothing but a business or that one person has a splinter in their butt is completely wrong.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »

Some members (many lifetime members and hardcore ARRL advocates in the past) are upset with recent changes.

Steve,
I'm a lifetime member since the 70's. I'm not advocating one way or another.... yet.

There may be substance to the claims but I have yet to see what they are. No offense at all, but even your response refers only generally to "changes" that upset some. So specifically what are they? Any organization of that size is not going to please everyone and I get that. But all of the sources this discussion sends me to only talk about unnamed or non-sourced bad things. If I see a credible report about an action taken by the ARRL that I find objectionable, then I'll join in. But so far all I have seen is the written equivalent of vaporware.
Carl

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »

You consider the censure of N6AA vaporware? Or the nullifying of the election in the Southeast Division vaporware? You can agree with these moves by the ARRL, but they are surely not vaporware. Reasonable people disagree. That is the point of the website Mike posted.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 10:21:58 PM »

Some background.  Even though he definitely makes his posture known, it does fill in the beginnings of what is taking place.

http://www.kb6nu.com/heck-arrl-board-thinking/

https://perens.com/2017/11/21/arrl-board-publicly-censures-southwestern-division-director/

--Shane
KD6VXI
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 10:31:40 PM »

Steve,

Thank you for citing specfic examples. They beg the further questions as to why, from the boards viewpoint, did the conduct result in censure, and why was the election nullified? Those are serious actions and it would be helpful to know why the league felt they were needed. Maybe there was solid reasoning, maybe not.

OK, I'm not trying to start WW3 here because I don't have the knowledge to determine if these actions are good or bad. And that was my original intent in the post. The website cited did not provide me with anymore then a bunch of accusatory sound bites. Something we encounter too much in this day. I'll not sign a petition based on information from just one side.

I don't want to make this bigger then it has gotten so I'll back off of the conversation. Certainly in the interest of fairness you have the right to respond, but my lack of any subsequent counter only means I'm not trying to engage in a prolonged battle
Carl

Carl

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »

Shane:

N6XI's letter is telling too. These are not trivial people that are speaking up. They are not troublemakers. Most have been ARRL members for many decades, volunteers, and prior office holders. I doubt they would be publicly speaking out on a whim or vaporware.

Carl:

No problem. I am in no way upset or offended. We're hopefully just having a discussion. I'm sorry that you see these as a battle. I'm hoping for more info too (specifically from the ARRL).

If you don't agree or don't think the issue(s) are of import, that's OK. I'm most certainly not demanding anyone sign a petition, or is this site proposing such. Mike put the info out there. I was surprised by the what I read in the letters and comments by rather large and prestigious clubs and well known and respected amateur radio ops. It seems that even if the issues aren't real, there are some MAJOR communication problems between the ARRL Board and its members.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 06:51:01 AM »

The Yankee Clipper Contest (YCCC) and the Frankfort Radio Club (FRC) have now also sent their messages to the ARRL board of directors expressing their collective displeasure.  The uproar is growing.  It is big stuff. Really big!  

And it is only starting.

https://www.myarrlvoice.org/yankee-clipper-contest-club-letter/

https://www.myarrlvoice.org/wp-content/uploads/FRC-ARRL-Letter-Jan-2018-Final-Draft-Rev-1.pdf

The YCCC is based in here in Massachusetts and is made up of many loyal, long-standing League members, many Lifetime.  They are not usually considered troublemakers but as their club name suggests, very serious competitive radio hams; contesters and DXers.  The FRC is a similar organization based in PA I believe.  They claim to be the “oldest radiosport organization in the world”.

I learned of this sad situation very recently from a friend who mentioned it to me casually.  I asked a few friends who are lifers and they knew nothing about it.  They thanked me for advising them and proceeded to spread the word and send their comments to their appropriate division directors.

I decided to post the information here so anyone interested could read about what is going on and if so inclined, some resources for letting their views be known.

It is up to each person to decide how they feel about any of this and act accordingly if they disagree with it.  But they better do soon as the Annual Board meeting is Friday January 19th.

You can make a difference.  

MrMike, W1RC

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 07:53:24 AM »

Steve,

Breaking my own rules and responding.

No, I'm not all tied up about it, and have learned some more about the issue. "Battle" was simply a term, particuarly since I don't have the knowledge I would want to engage. I will agree that there seems to be something amiss to have this many people roiled up.
Hope to see you both at Nearest
Caro

Carl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015