The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:36:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember the 29  (Read 6027 times)
N8ETQ

Mort

« on: November 10, 2017, 05:03:58 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald

/Dan
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:45:12 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_1965

Another event from the day before, 10 years prior. I was in high school outside of Boston and remember this well.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »

I was in high school outside of Boston and remember this well.

I remember it well too. I was down in my shack in the basement wondering why the lights went out when my mom opened the door and yelled down "Kevin what did you *do* down there. The whole neighborhood is dark!"   Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »

We were ready to eat a spaghetti dinner, and then out went the lights. Ate by candle light.

I remember turning a light on around 9:30 -10:00 PM and it had a dull glow. Then the OM told me to turn it off.

Then there was one sometimes in the 70's, and then one in the last ? 20 years??

klc

What? Me worry?
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »

My father worked in Boston and was in a car pool, I had gotten my drivers license that Summer and would pick him up each night. We had just come home, it was about 5:30, we sat down to eat when the lights went out, came on, went out, came on again and went out again for good.

We lite a few candles and began to eat, my father liked to listen to the radio during dinner, his favorite station was  WBZ in Boston, a 50,000 watt station. We had a battery powered radio, he turned it on, no WBZ!! About 5 minutes later it came back on the air, very weak, they said there had been a wide area power failure and they were on emergency power at 5,000 watts. Later they governor came on the air and declared a state emergency.

We got our power back about 8 that night. It was a very warm night and clear with a full moon, had the weather been different it could have been a lot more serious.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »

Back on the original topic of the posting....

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/gordon-lightfoot-recalls-the-night-of-the-ss-edmund-fitzgerald-s-sinking-1.2652343

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 05:59:11 PM »

I was in high school outside of Boston and remember this well.

I remember it well too. I was down in my shack in the basement wondering why the lights went out when my mom opened the door and yelled down "Kevin what did you *do* down there. The whole neighborhood is dark!"   Grin

Same thing happened to me, I was still over a year away from my JN ticket, but had set up a SWL shack and workshop in the basement. Was working on an old console radio amp that a pair of original 6LGs.  All of a sudden the basement went black except for the dull red glow of the fading 6L6 filaments. 

As for the later Notheast blackouts, one was in early summer 1977, remember that one when we were temporarily living in my in laws' camper waiting to close on and move into our first house in Saratoga Springs NY.

There was another one about 10-15 years ago that hit just  after a small corporate air shuttle I was on took off from Dulles. When we got back to CT, was wondering why all the traffic lights were out on the way home until I turned on the car radio and heard about the blackout on the news.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »

I guess I should just shoot myself..

I don't wanna be here any more.  Can't believe
how this thread has "dissolved" .    New England
Sux...    Get a life... It's out there.  Heading out
in the "Inland Sea s" in November, Sorry your
coffee wasn't ready.. Get a generator.  Or try to
figure out out how you can get the govt. to pay
for it.

/Dan

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 06:51:32 AM »

Sorry we got so off topic.  I have spent a good amount of time at sea over the years and  been through much heavy weather out there.  Gordon Lightfoot's song is always playing in my head when it gets rough. Last year's El Faro loss also hit home here, one of the crew lost was a local.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
oldchief

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »

I remember the storm the Fitz was lost in.
  I was on the Saint Patrick, a 140 foot Bath-built trawler working in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence. It was a nasty bit of weather there and probably worse on the Lakes.
  I always thought the Gordon Lightfoot song to be a little theatrical and the tune he borrowed may not have been the most appropriate.
  In later years I sailed with several people who worked on the Fitz in her early years.
  Jim/KB1MCV
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 03:10:13 PM »

My preferred version.

* Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.mp3 (2160.72 KB - downloaded 140 times.)
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 06:04:36 PM »

Stan Rogers "white squall" is another poignent song of the perils of the seaman's life. And it has the advantage of not cutting as deep a groove in your brain as it's only 4 verses. 😁

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 09:15:10 PM »

Late in afternoon of October 25th, 2012, I saw the HMS Bounty replica ship sail down the Thames River at New London, CT, heading out to sea.  Was surprised to see them heading out, they had been in New London for a few days, and Hurricane Sandy at that point was a threat to the East Coast.  Started following their website and tracking them with one of the shiptracking websites.  What I saw gave me a real pit feeling in my stomach when it became obvious they were heading right into the storm. Just read one of the accounts of the Bounty loss online (originally published in Outside magazine), what a disaster....thank God (and the Coast Guard) that most of the crew survived.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015