The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:29:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reversebeacon.net Down?  (Read 7496 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: November 04, 2017, 07:49:49 AM »

Anyone else having problems with the reversebeacon.net CW skimmer network? Site comes up for me but returns no spots for either DX (what skimmers are detecting a specific call sign) or DE (all callsigns detected by a specific skimmer). Has been out here for at least a week.  Have seen a few other querys on this on other forums but nothing in the last week or so.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »

The reverse beacon works for me.  Every time I call CQ, I have the site up to see where I'm hitting.  Something might be wrong with your filter settings.

I've been using my 5 watt transmitter lately, so sometimes I don't get a response but that's because of propagation. 

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:53:37 PM »

Doesn't seem to want to give me any feedback, either DX or DE type.  Also tied looking for skims by band, nothing shows.  I have a bookmark for my own call tha worked for a couple of years and no joy on it either of late.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
ka1tdq

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:19:28 PM »

I use a bookmark too to look for my call.  I know it was working as of November 3rd, because I had 6 spots that day with my QRP signal.  

I have called CQ since then, but haven't had any spots.  I attributed it to bad band conditions (they were at the time; my spectrum display was pretty dead).  But, it may have been the reflector too.

Tomorrow if I have time during the day, I'll put out 500 watts on 20 meters CW.  If it doesn't come back with any hits, it's broken.  

Jon

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:19:21 PM »

Submitted a query directly to RBN via their website. Got almost immediate response from Pete N4ZR.  Problem I have is due to the site having problems working on Safari browsers recently, I use Safari on both my iPhone7 and iMac desktop.  Pete suggested using another browser such as Chrome.  I have Opera on the iPhone as an alternate browser as suggested by son Dave. RBN works beautifully on it.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
ka1tdq

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 09:14:55 PM »

Huh.  I'm using Safari as well.  I didn't get on the air tonight.  I've been watching the news and QRZ.com says that the bands are dead anyway.  I have a PC in the shack as well, but it's not connected to the internet.  Its purpose is just to run my ham software since there is absolutely zero available for the Mac. 

If I don't get any RBN hits the next time conditions are "normal," I'll look it up with my iPhone and see if it's there. 

Jon

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »

How would QRZ.com know this?

QRZ.com says that the bands are dead
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:21:49 PM »

Jon you don't have to rely just on results of RBN skimmers detecting you ("DX" RBN spots).
You can also do "DE" spots of what specific stations a certain skimmer is detecting, or even do band specific searches that will list spots from all the skimmers monitoring that band.  I was getting no results with Safari no matter which search mode I requested.  Something is not working right when using Safari. According to Pete Safari had been problematic for RBN for quite a while.  Runs very well on Opera Mini. Son Dave suggested I try Opera Mini on my iPhone to cut down on how fast Safari was eating through cellular data on the iPhone 7.  It definitely is much less of a cell data drainer. I was shocked how much more cellular data the 7 was burning through on Safari compared to the 4 it replaced, even after I shut down all the options like WiFi Assist and background refresh.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
ka1tdq

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »

Here’s a screenshot of QRZ that shows band conditions. It’s very general, but I’ve found it to be pretty accurate. It saves me the hassle of clicking on the receiver sometimes.

I’ve just been using the DX spots. I’ll try the DE feature next time.

Jon

* 38A34811-99D5-4A1F-B7BE-50E3EEF6A1D9.png (2962.99 KB, 1242x2208 - viewed 283 times.)

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 06:45:32 AM »

I usually get on and call CQ. If no one answers, the band is dead. I've found many times that when I call CQ on a "dead" band, I get a reply. It seems everyone is watching their computer instead of tuning the bands and/or calling CQ. It's called Amateur Radio for a reason.  ;-)

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »

I'm with you Steve.  Radio is like fishing, the thrill is casting out a CQ or "sight casting" your call to someone calling CQ.  Will I get any bites?  Will he take the fly?  I prefer to think of RBN a as fish finder and when no one calls my CQs, an indicator that my bait isn't just lying on the ice over the lake in the dark. What I like about RBN is that it gives you real time feedback on band conditions, not just a model prediction. Take a look on what gets through to ZL4YL in the wee hours of East Coast USA time....lots of hits from here on 160 80 and 40 with decent SNR. Seeing others are making it is good motivation try yourself.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
ka1tdq

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »

True.  Propagation is like a box of chocolates.  I like the computer aspect of the hobby with being able to see the spectrum at a glance.  I grew up with the VFO thing, but I could never go back to it. 

I'm really into building too.  In fact, I rarely get on the air.  I guess I just don't want to waste my time if conditions are less than desirable. 

Jon

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »

Conditions are always good. Ya just need to find the right band.  Smiley
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »

Conditions are always good. Ya just need to find the right band.  Smiley

That's right. (As said by the The Voice of Communism)

Then again, if we are really Jonesing and hard up for some action and the bands are dead, we can always do some ghost talking and work a bunch of rare ones that nobody, I mean NOBODY else can hear.

As Steve knows, there's an infamous station from Spain that gets on from time to time on 75M ssb and works the east coast USA in a big pile-up. Problem is his US contacts should be blasting in here and we don't hear a peep on this side.... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »

That's right. (As said by the The Voice of Communism)

These are facts.....

As Steve knows, there's an infamous station from Spain that gets on from time to time on 75M ssb and works the east coast USA in a big pile-up. Problem is his US contacts should be blasting in here and we don't hear a peep on this side.... :-)

Didn't you work one of those really R@RE ones a few years back? Can't remember the call exactly - 6 Lima 6 Gulf Tango or Gulf Charlie mebbe? Interesting things abound when the band is "quiet".  Grin

Yep - definitely don't expect the technology to do it for you. It can help, but when it comes to band conditions, relying on it completely will leave you on the sidelines more often than not.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »

Rare Russian station RG8U.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015