The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:11:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 32V1 working again  (Read 1814 times)
w1vtp

« on: October 23, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »

My Collins 32V1 stopped working. No drive to final.  Larry, NE1S generously offered to take a look at it. So, Saturday Larry showed up with the 32V1 on the "operating table."  Note: cart shows a Viking 1 from a previous shoot.  Shown only for illustrative purposes.

The PDF shows a series of pictures of my 32V1. The driver section is shown to the right of the 4D32 on page 6. The failure was the 6AK6 tube in the driver section - the one in the metal shield. It had "gone to air."

It's not back in its operating position as I need to do some work on k301 - the multiple pole relay that goes from rx to tx.  BTW: anyone know the Potter Brumfield replacement for that relay?  Although it's working I may be looking for a replacement down the road.

Thanks also to Bob, KB1QV who lifted the 32V1 onto the cart as if it was a feather.

Thanks to Larry, NE1S for a much appreciated repair job.

Al

* NEW EQUIPMENT CART (2).gif (890.72 KB, 1500x994 - viewed 386 times.)
* 32V1.pdf (1286.79 KB - downloaded 166 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »

K 301 failed in my 32v some years ago.  Turned out one of the ceramic stand off posts shattered. I cut the tip off of an old hard plastic pen and glued it in place. Has held for many years now.  The post length has to pretty exact. Careful filing was required.

K-301 relay is very compact yet called on to handle high voltages at relatively high currents and cycled often.  Replacement part hard to duplicate these days. 

Hence If someone is parting out this rig,  That's one component to go after.

An other common failure other than the notorious LV Xfor. Is the 4D32 screen bypass cap. Leakage here will cause RF output to lessen, sometimes gradually, sometimes immediately.
When I traded W3Hm an RF deck for his 32v, he thought a previous owner had reduced the output to 65 watts on purpose for driving an amplifier and hadn't yet checked out the rig. I found reduced screen voltage only at the tube socket and replaced the cap with a higher voltage one.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015